You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Smile Request For Guidance

I am totally new to archery. I want a simple bow to get started and then move up to hunting deer. Any suggestions on what a good starter bow may be and why would be greatly appreciated. I am a 63 old male in good shape and if it helps I am 230lbs 6' tall.

Will

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Compound I assume? If so get to a Pro Shop and get measured, then once you know your draw length go around and try as many out as you can. Bows are extremely personal, any recommendation by anyone is just their own personal preference and helps you not at all. How much you are looking to spend will play in to it as well. Just as an example: you will see more than one person shoot and recommend a Hoyt; now they are fine bows and can be on the pricey side, especially new. I have never picked one up and after a shot not handed it back, haven't found one yet that felt good to me at all.

I am now relearning traditional bows so I don't have as much experience with them but for beginner bows the Sammick Sage seems to get recommended pretty often as a place to start. In my teens I had a Ben Pearson recurve for a few years then spent most of my time using a Kodiak Hunter, shot my friends Kodak Magnum some too. I have a couple of early 70's Grizzly's at the moment which I like the feel of pretty well; light and not such a high grip as the K Hunter. If you are going the traditional route I'd still try a bunch of them.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

X2 you need to shoot as many as you can when you feel the right bow it will pick you. Most people will recommend the brand they shoot. With archers they get very brand loyal.

Red. PSE Supra ME
    Black. PSE Supra ME

Default Picking the right bow

Will,
    I strongly agree with the other two post. Go to your local pro shop shoot a variety of bows and pick the one that fits you best. And most of all welcome to the most addictive sport in the world.

welcome back. what they said. try out all you can. then buy a Bowtech.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers