You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Target arrows and hunting arrows

Whats the difference?

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Target arrows are usually lighter, some like arrows like fatboys so they may catch the edge of the next scoring ring. Hunting arrows should be a little heavier to help with penetration. You'll see 3D arrows push the 5gr per lb (of draw weight) minimum, where hunting arrows should be more like 6.5-7gr per lb. (at least according to me! ) for compounds and more like 10gr per lb. for traditional set ups.
    My hunting arrows when I was using a compound were 6.5gr/lb., my traditional arrows are 10.8gr/lb. The light arrows give you more speed which for games like 3D where you have to estimate distance a speedy arrow will help with judging errors.
    Last edited by dbdcougar; 05-13-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Lighter arrows like modern carbon types will give you more speed.
    Heavy arrows like wooden type which is best for traditional recurve bow can have more momentum.
    Heavier means 'it takes longer to come to a stop' which means 'deeper penetration' which means 'more bleeding'.
    For hunting, speed does not kill. Penetration kills.
    Horsebow, Takedown bow, Traditional recurve bow, arrows, www.archerysupplier.com/shop

I agree with the both dbd and steven but would add some detail.

Target arrows can be different for each type of shooting, when you are shooting for a ten ring the arrows tend to be smaller in diameter which makes it easier to get more in there without damaging the shafts.

3D arrows can be as large in diameter as a hunting arrow and at the shoots I've been to, I have noticed that those that shoot pro will use a set of small diameter arrows (ie: 10 X) while the "normal" shooters tend to use their hunting arrows with same weight target tips.

Lighter means flatter trajectory while heavier means more penetration, small diameter means flatter trajectory by virtue of less drag from the shaft.

Balancing your arrows is also very important no matter which type of shooting you are doing. A slight tip to the arrow point is preferred for best trajectory and penetration of the target be it flesh or foam or bag or something else (you do not want your arrow to fall out from any subsequent hit by another arrow).
    I have been shooting field archery lately and I have seen a few folks loose points from my arrow hitting the target and theirs falling out, not something I would ever want to happen to me in a competetion.
    Bear Encounter: 60 lb dw 30" DL G5 peep, tru-fire
    We love visitors, that's why we live in a secluded cabin deep in the woods.