You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default New Prospective Archer Looking For Advice.

Hi, Im currently very new to archery (I got a bow an older Darton 20MX Compound bow for My birthday) and I wanted some advice. It is an older bow, I was wondering if there would be any obstacles to using this one. It needs both a arrow rest, and sights, but Im a college student and dont want to go overboard. I am used to firearms, but this is my first compound bow. I had a few basic questions i was hoping you can help me out with.

1. Do you need sights or can you shoot the bow like a re-curve?
    2. Do you need a release? I see most people using one. Is it necessary?
    3. Is there anything I absolutely need? Im willing to spend money but I don't have alot.

I was basically wondering if there were any minimalist archers who didn't use all of the fancy gear? Most of it confuses me. If so can you please give me advice? I want to hopefully hunt by deer season. I know its a bit ambitious but I want to give it a shot.

Thank you,
    Humble Student.
    P.S. I accidentally posted this under the wrong thread. I apologize.
    Last edited by hashimgambit; 05-20-2014 at 04:24 AM. Reason: wrong thread

1. Do you need sights or can you shoot the bow like a re-curve? There is no rule that you need to use a sight for compounds, however you will find it to be a much nicer and more accurate set-up using them. That being said you do not have to spend $100 or more for a sight that will work. A sight that utilizes fiber optic pins will be the most available and usually the best. You will also want a peep sight to assist with the sight picture.

2. Do you need a release? I see most people using one. Is it necessary? Most do you a release, but depending on the axle to axle length of the bow you could very easily shoot with fingers. A release serves a few different purposes, it allows you to release the bowstring evenly and uniform, while not inducing torque which will cause misses on the target. Also the release removes any "pinch" of the arrow nock when set up properly.

3. Is there anything I absolutely need? Im willing to spend money but I don't have alot. Don't get caught up in the "name" game of the latest and greatest sights,rest,etc.. There are many lower priced models that will serve you just fine. I wouls recommend a Whisker Bisquit rest, a Tru Glo sight, and a wrist strap release. As far as the peep sight start off with something large enough to accommodate your new learning curve (1/4" would do great) . I will also recommend string silencers of some sort, many don't use them, but I feel for the best set-up they are a must. Other than the listed items, a dz arrows and field tips and somewhere to shoot will be your last items. Good luck and welcome to our addiction!
    Owner: Bear's Den Precision Bow Tuning

"When Good Enough, Just Isn't Good Enough!"

www.bdprecision.wix.com/bearsdenprecision

Like anything used, it is best to get a Pro Shop look over your bow, before spending money on accessories. Due to the age of your bow, strings and cables may need to be changed. A reputable Pro Shop will give your bow an inspection to ensure cables, strings, cams, limbs and everything else are in shooting condition and safe to shoot.

Being a new archer, perhaps best to be minimalist and buy a take down #35 Recurve, jazz arrows, and shoot instinctively, when you become proficient, then trade the limbs for a 45# limbs and practice, practice, practice from 10 yards to 35 yards if you intend to hunt.

Trigger releases and the like you requested are best to leave to more experienced archers who know how to tune their equipment or have deep pockets.

Tuning your accessories, and Bow tuning, at a Pro Shop can blow your budget, not to mention the cost of accessories.
    Bohning Archery-Pro Field Staff
    Hoyt ProElite 3000 (Fita) Hoyt ProElite 2000 (3D), Martin Cougar Magnum (Fingers), ChekMate Recurve (Traditional) Trophy Ridge Sights, Axcel Sights, Bernardini and Tru Ball Release, Bohning Blazers, X-Shield Cut Vanes, Tru-Flight -Gateway Feathers, Hephaestus Stabilisers

Hey buddy, Im new to this site as well but have been shooting for a while now. Wolbear covered everything well, have a proshop make sure your bow is safe and you probably want a release and sight mainly because you will ENJOY archery a lot more. those two items will help you learn to consistently hit your target ( and it can be painful shooting fingers off a compound if you have short ATA) a lot quicker than shooting instinctively with fingers. If you want to hunt come deer season its important that you develop consistent form and shot making ability sooner rather than later, those items mentioned will speed that up greatly. If you ever need help with anything PM me or I know theres a ton of knowledgeable people here. Good luck and hope you have fun archery rules!!