You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thumb or Back tension release for spots?

I am new to the spot shooting thing.........thinking of joining the local league, I noticed no one shoots a wrist strap release there.

Is a BT or a Thumb actuated release that big of difference on your scores?

The prices are pretty high too for a target release, guess I better try one before I buy one to know if I like it.
    New Breed Archery-Genetix 28.5"/ 60lbs & 365gr. = 285 FPS
    New Breed Archery- Eclipse 65/28.5" & 370gr. = 291 FPS
    Bowtech- 82nd Airborne 28.5"/ 60lbs. & 325gr. = 327 FPS
    Strother Archery- SR-71 28.5"/65lbs. & 370gr. = 303 FPS

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdewitt71 View Post
    I am new to the spot shooting thing.........thinking of joining the local league, I noticed no one shoots a wrist strap release there.

The prices are pretty high too for a target release, guess I better try one before I buy one to know if I like it.
    yup! I noticed a huge improvement in accuracy when I switched to a thumb release.
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    yup! I noticed a huge improvement in accuracy when I switched to a thumb release.
    which thumb release are you using dred????
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    which thumb release are you using dred????
    The TRU BAll Pro Diamond in Caliper head. Its the older model with the round trigger (not the diamond shaped one). I love it! my groups shrink to 1/2 an inch at 20 yards or closer with it. with my wrist release I shoot about a 1 - 1 1/2 ground at 20 yards and it gets worse from there.

I have a horrible time using the Wrist release for a few reasons:

- Slides up on me
    - Velcro is hard to get the same every time
    - Hard to find my anchor point w/ the wirst release
    - very difficult not to punch the trigger
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    The TRU BAll Pro Diamond in Caliper head. Its the older model with the round trigger (not the diamond shaped one). I love it! my groups shrink to 1/2 an inch at 20 yards or closer with it. with my wrist release I shoot about a 1 - 1 1/2 ground at 20 yards and it gets worse from there.

I have a horrible time using the Wrist release for a few reasons:

- Slides up on me
    - Velcro is hard to get the same every time
    - Hard to find my anchor point w/ the wirst release
    - very difficult not to punch the trigger

how much they retail for???

I would like to try a cheap one before I commit alot of money to one.....I hate to sell things so it would just collect dust if I didnt like it.....

I switched to a thumb release about a year and a half ago and noticed a big difference in accuracy. I am shooting one of the Carter releases. I believe it is the insatiable 2? It can also be used as a back tension release but I haven't had the time to practice that and it could get pretty ugly trying. That takes a lot of practice to shoot with back tension.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Let me correct that, it takes a lot of practice to shoot with back tension WELL.

Bowman, be careful with cheap ones. A friend of mine bought a thumb release and i think it was a true fire. I tried it and noticed a big difference between his and mine. His release felt a lot sloppier. Then again, it's all personal preferance. I would recomend to try out a couple if you can.
    Last edited by STRO; 01-23-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Site Guru

how much they retail for???
    you can get them used for about 60 bucks.
    No I'm not dead

no problem, just giving credit where credit is due

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

no problem, just giving credit where credit is due
    Now Boy's I have shot the wrist release .scott little bitty goose and such ,flecther, since 84. I tried to shoot one of the thumb releases a couple a years ago ,same ol thing by carter, and I had a devil of a time and finally went back. If you will shoot the same way every time and get the right form with those things they will work. One major thing is to let that wrist lay back in the sling and not reach for the trigger. tighten up the release untill it is covered by your finger really well. it is all a matter of knowing how to shoot you equiptment and that only comes with payin attention to what you are a doin. and learning how to use it. then just repeat it time after time when you get it down. It is easier said than done but it can be done.
    Not at all to discredit any other type of system. They all have to be mastered to be effective. I have seen folks shoot 300 nad 60x with all 3 types. My $1 worth. rmember this is adding for inflation. Straight Shootin, HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Now Boy's I have shot the wrist release .scott little bitty goose and such ,flecther, since 84. I tried to shoot one of the thumb releases a couple a years ago ,same ol thing by carter, and I had a devil of a time and finally went back. If you will shoot the same way every time and get the right form with those things they will work. One major thing is to let that wrist lay back in the sling and not reach for the trigger. tighten up the release untill it is covered by your finger really well. it is all a matter of knowing how to shoot you equiptment and that only comes with payin attention to what you are a doin. and learning how to use it. then just repeat it time after time when you get it down. It is easier said than done but it can be done.
    Not at all to discredit any other type of system. They all have to be mastered to be effective. I have seen folks shoot 300 nad 60x with all 3 types. My $1 worth. rmember this is adding for inflation. Straight Shootin, HS
    yup he is definitely right! Personally for me though the thumb release was a HUGE improvement. I just couldn't' get the release to feel the same everytime when it was Velcroed to my wrist
    No I'm not dead

Dreadly I use a buckel type and can punch me a hole where I need it. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Dreadly I use a buckel type and can punch me a hole where I need it. HS
    I never found one that had a buckle that I liked... so I just stopped wearing em
    No I'm not dead

I use tha one made by James Greene co close to here in NC. Good stuff.
    m$w HS

I picked up a Tru Ball for cheap. I have used a wrist strap for my whole life. I shot the true ball and my groups shrunk instantly. I am gonna switch to the tru ball for good when i switch to my 3-D set up.

Most, but not all, of the top pro & amateur spot shooters use a thumb trigger release, either a Stan or a Carter.

For us who are still "developing on our form" a hinged BT will be better until we have completely cured ourselves of punching or shooting on command. If you get serious enough about spots, you will know when it's time to switch to a thumb trigger release.

The reason for using a hinged BT released is that it helps develop a strong shot. Set it with plenty of travel and be sure that you keep a straight line from the point of your arrow through your release hand to your release elbow. Then if you visualize your elbow moving straight back along this line you will be using the correct muscles for back tension.

Also, you should adjust the draw length of your bow so that at full draw, the valley of the nock is directly below the cornea of your eye. This is usually a good starting point for DL. As you progress, you will probably adjust it a little.

Good luck,
    Allen

I would like to try a cheap one before I commit alot of money to one.....I hate to sell things so it would just collect dust if I didnt like it.....
    This would be a mistake in my opinion. Get a good one to start with, it will save you a lot of hassle.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default Thanks for the info Gents....

I am gonna try some out next week at the local shop and see what I may like before I buy.
    There is a guy that shoots at the league that knows the owner of Carters very well, so hopfully I can get some good insight from him.
    New Breed Archery-Genetix 28.5"/ 60lbs & 365gr. = 285 FPS
    New Breed Archery- Eclipse 65/28.5" & 370gr. = 291 FPS
    Bowtech- 82nd Airborne 28.5"/ 60lbs. & 325gr. = 327 FPS
    Strother Archery- SR-71 28.5"/65lbs. & 370gr. = 303 FPS

keith reeves

Default my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by mdewitt71 View Post

i recntly went to a hand held i feel that true back tension works great as well as a thumb release if you are trigger squezzer a puncher by heart must have a rock solid arm thats holden the bow therefore defeaten the purpose of the release so to answer your question if find your self at full draw the pin just sitting perfectly where ya want it but your still not maken the shot you may wanna try a hand held the point is that ya never know when the bow is goen off i hope this helps ya