You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Getting caught up on what bow to buy

So after a long break I am heading back to the range, this time looking for a compound bow to shoot in 3D shoots and just plain target fun. I have been measured and was recommended with a 30" draw, 70lb 32 1/4 Axle to Axle,and the salesman suggested a PSE surge. After adding everything up it was almost 1k to get started and get back into the swing of things. He did say go with a nicer rest, 165.00 for the PSE, and good sight, 100 for a true glow, that way after I shoot for a year or so I can swap out the bow and keep my accessories. 1K sounds kind of steep, any suggestions of other bows or set up to go with? advice or comments welcome.

Thanks
    Mark

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Shoot as many as you can and see what feels and shoots best to you. I am not a fan of package bows if I'm reading between the lines correctly. Buy a bare bow and then dress it with rest, sights that you like (much of that is personal preference as well); I agree with the salesman on getting the ones you like now (as best as you can tell anyways). I went through a handful of rests before finding the one I liked best (a QAD in my case for an example) Nothing wrong with the used market either, but I would stick to ones I could go try before you buy until you figure out what you like and what you don't. Weight is your choice but for your uses a 60# bow will do everything you are talking about using it for and may be a little easier for you to handle during the acclimation precess.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

I have looked at most of the local shoots and I am noticing that some of the 3D shoots are limiting FPS to around 280-290 range. How would I combat that when most of the bows I am looking at, with a DL of 30", are upwards of 315+? Do you go with a heavier arrow set up? Just curious

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Yep, a heavier arrow or less draw weight are your only 2 choices. Must be ASA rules.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

It the bow isn't going to be used for hunting. I would look at the target models, they have a longer axle to axle and are easier to stay on target with than the shorter axle to axle bows. I shoot 3D but only have one bow, so I shoot a short axle to axle. If I had the money to have two bows I would have a target bow and a hunting bow and the target bow would be long axle to axle.
    Bear Encounter: 60 lb dw 30" DL G5 peep, tru-fire
    We love visitors, that's why we live in a secluded cabin deep in the woods.