You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Time to get my son in the crazy world of Archery

My son turns 6 in the next few months, any suggestions on what bow to start him out with??? Or is he still too young??? I have several bows that I used to use & I have been out of it for about 7-8 years now due to the loss of my father inlaw who got me into it. I know he would be going crazy now with his frist grandson, so my job is to teach him...... So need some help here, thanks guys.

Welcome to the forum...
    That's great...everyone needs an archery buddy....

As far as a bow I'm not sure, maybe a Genesis?? there are alot of youth bows out but I don't know which are good ones, but I sure others will

First off Theis lots of kids stuff nowdays, it will also depend on how much you want to spend also, best thing to do is get to a shop that will let him shoot a few, try to get one with a good adjustable draw range, this way you can adjust it as he grows and wont be buyin a new one every year. Might also look into carbon arrows for him, as they will hold up alot better. Good luch, you will have a great time shooting with him......

At 6 years old, thats the best time to start em off. Best bet at that age would be to start with the Genesis Jr. and then progress from there. One word of advice....build a trophy case......your gonna need it
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

Talking

This is a copy paste of one of my post.
    This is a review of the Darton Ranger II in my own sons words.

My dad brought home a new Darton bow for me, Whoa-how awesome. Just the other day I took my new Darton bow to my first 3D shoot in Jeddo, MI... I got 13X’s and top score of the day. My favorite part of the bow is my sight because it light up. I practice at home with my dad Tim Daniels the greatest archer known to man uh? My mom made me say that. Ethen Daniels

My comments
    I recently pick up a Darton Ranger II for my 8 year old son. The Darton Ranger II is the best youth bow made for our small archers. With draw lengths from 17” to 28” and a limb draw weigh range from 15-45# it will be the only bow that my son will need until he as grown into a young adult. All of the draw modules that you will ever need come with this bow. I found the technical bulletin is very easy to understand. I set it up using the A module at 18” and 20# then installed a Sword Apex Hunter and a GKF TM Hunter. He was very impressed with the over all looks of his new bow. The grip is narrow and very conformable for his hand. This has improved his groups and consistency. I can see that he has been holding on target better than his old bow. When my son shot a 297 with 13X’s at a local 3D range I knew I made the right choice. He has asked if he will be able to hunt deer with this bow when he is old enough. I know that it has more than enough performance to get the job done on a whitetail or two.

wow sounds like a bow to go look at their!!!

Default Thanks to All.

I want to thank everyone for their input. This weekend comming up im going to take him to a local shop just the get the feel of the bows & go from there. I have to have my bows restrung & checked for saftey & I want him to learn first that this is a saftey first activity.

Default My nephew

had a genisus. The growing bow idea is O.K. But it seemed he had a hard timepicking an anchor point without a backwall. But just my opinion. Check out the bowtech rascal.
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

Quote Originally Posted by goldflinger View Post
    had a genisus. The growing bow idea is O.K. But it seemed he had a hard timepicking an anchor point without a backwall. But just my opinion. Check out the bowtech rascal.
    have to agree here
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by goldflinger View Post
    Yeah that's a problem with them...I think the Genesis Pro has a draw stop though...