You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Length Of Arrows

Length Of Arrows
    My AMO draw length is 28". I will be shooting 2315 X7's out of a Barnsdale 55# bow for spots. What length should my arrows be? I have read some reports that it's better if they are long, others say short and still others cut to my appropriate length. Apparently it has something to do with spine and FOC. I am new to all of this and was wondering what archers who are shooting X7's for spots were using and why? Thank you.

Tim

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

If you are gonna shot a -front of center -set up you will need a measuring device that will tell you where front of center and the you will need to get the right nibs, easton has them, fo the recommended wieght . Now for the arrow length at least you draw lenght + 1". I shoot 3" longer my arrows have more response to the movement of the dynamics of shoot arrows. If I can hold it it will hit the center every time and it gives me a very good feel after the shoot also reducing bow shock. that is all I know about this subject> I have a device to do the front of center > FOC. You can probaly get one or maybe you local Pro shop has one. Clear as mud ehh> HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAH......yup you said it HS

Tim

the longer the arrow, the closer it is to the target before you shoot it.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by raven4ns View Post
    Length Of Arrows
    My AMO draw length is 28". I will be shooting 2315 X7's out of a Barnsdale 55# bow for spots. What length should my arrows be? I have read some reports that it's better if they are long, others say short and still others cut to my appropriate length. Apparently it has something to do with spine and FOC. I am new to all of this and was wondering what archers who are shooting X7's for spots were using and why? Thank you.

Tim
    TIm, many spot shooters use arrows that are way over spined for their setup. To help make up some of the difference in the over spined arrow 2 things can be done easily. Length of the arrow can be increased, and the weight of the point can be increased. When a 2613 is shot from 50 lb bow those two things will help somewhat---- perhaps.
    AMO draw of 28 inches will mean to you, that from the inside of your bow string at full draw, measureing to the pivot point of your grip, should give you a measurement of 26.25 inches. To this you add the 1.75 inches and that sum gives you AMO draw length of the bow. Determination of arrow length should be based on many things, includeing spine, draw length, arrow rest contact point, length of valley of eccentrics, etc. That's one reason for the rule of thumb one inch over draw length. It covers it all with a safety margin.

Front of center is usually considered to be best at around 10 percent. 8-12 is a good range. But for shooting spots with a heavy spined arrow I would try 13 or 14 and see how they grouped. I think Easton has a download that can calc this. If you can't find something to help with this let me know, and I will see what I can come up with.

These are only opinions based on very limited knowledge so Don't Try It at Home

Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

Thumbs up about those arrows

I am shooting the X7 Cobalt 2313's out of 50 lb bow with only a 26 inch draw and I only shoot indoor target archery. I had debated this same issue myself about a week ago when I got these arrows so let me tell you what I think.

It is true that there are a lot of folks that prefere the longer arrows. I think it is a preference personally. If you like em' long, then shoot em' long. If you really think that they are just too long then cut them down a little, but remember you dont want them to be too stiff so you may want to start by only cutting an inch off at a time. Shoot a couple and then see if you like how they are flying. If so then cut them all the same. I mean at about $75-80 bucks a dozon the last thing you want to do is cut them too short and ruin them.

I think those arrows came from the factory at 31 or 32 inches, I cut mine down to about 28 and they are perfect for me, they fly smooth and I think it was money well spent. I would say that if your draw is longer than mine you could easily get away with not cutting more than an inch or two or not cutting them at all. Try them long first, because you always make them shorter, but once they're cut they're cut.

I hope this helps.

rdnkgrl_robinhood

I went to the easton site and did some looking, looks like at 55-60 lbs with a 2315, they would need to be around 32 long, this was with a soft cam, if you have a hard cam they will be a bite shorter, but id start test shooting them at 32 and see what they do. they didnt say what grain tip that was with, If it were me, id find a 2314, or 2313....

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    the longer the arrow, the closer it is to the target before you shoot it.....
    Hey Bowman where can I find me some 19 yard arrows. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

LOL 19 yard arrows, good luck gitting a dozen of those in your car!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    LOL 19 yard arrows, good luck gitting a dozen of those in your car!!!!
    We got a Ranger with a ladder rack. No Problem. HS

Lol dont forget to get someone to hold the door open for ya at the shop you shoot at!!!! Wow ill be it would take a while for the end of the arrow to stop swaying at 19 yards....

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Bowman, you wouldn't happen to have any of those 19' arrows that fold? Makes it easier to get in the truck
    I think I will start long and then adjust them if needed. Thank you again.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by raven4ns View Post
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Bowman, you wouldn't happen to have any of those 19' arrows that fold? Makes it easier to get in the truck
    I think I will start long and then adjust them if needed. Thank you again.

Tim
    i use screw together chiminey brushes......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    We got a Ranger with a ladder rack. No Problem. HS
    HS that would be so cool to see pull up at the range.

"HONDA"