You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Middle ,Tn.
    Posts
    30

    Default Turkeys with a Bow

    How many of you guys hunt Turkeys with a bow ?
    "A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip , but it becomes an anticlimax to the many other pleasures of the hunt."
    - Fred Bear

  2. #2
    get'n rid of target panic STRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    I try to. I've hunted them for several years but just started last year with a bow when i bought a blind. I think a blind is almost a necessity, although, I know of people who have done it without a blind. Now that is tough!!!!!

    Hopefully, the clover food plot we put in last year will have good results. It sure made a difference with deer. Can't wait for turkey season.
    .

    Carbon Matrix

    Certified NASP Instructor

  3. #3
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TnRidge View Post
    How many of you guys hunt Turkeys with a bow ?
    Ihave taken a couple with the bow but I was deer hunting.We are allowed to harvest them these way. That would be the ultimate. I have a friend around these mnts that only bow hunts em and has gotten a few he uses a cloth blind of sorts. . HS



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Middle ,Tn.
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
    I try to. I've hunted them for several years but just started last year with a bow when i bought a blind. I think a blind is almost a necessity, although, I know of people who have done it without a blind. Now that is tough!!!!!

    Hopefully, the clover food plot we put in last year will have good results. It sure made a difference with deer. Can't wait for turkey season.
    I hunted them last year without a popup blind ,and tried a natural blind without any luck . I'm going to buy a blind this year .
    "A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip , but it becomes an anticlimax to the many other pleasures of the hunt."
    - Fred Bear

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Stalked this fall hen.
    Turkeys with a Bow - Bowhunting forum
    2006 PSE Diablo - 26"/68# |VBG Triangle | WB DX QS | ST Magnums
    TR One Piece Quiver | Doinker 7" M-Rod | Vibracheck HD | Scott Wildcat
    Box Family Archery Site / Diablo Owners Club / Maine Hunter Support Group

  6. #6
    get'n rid of target panic STRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    Bragger......... Nice Job, that is tought to do. They seem impossible in the fall. They bust me every time in the fall while I'm in the tree stand, I don't even have to flinch. Just a little over three months 'till I can chase them again.
    .

    Carbon Matrix

    Certified NASP Instructor

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Wrote this a bit back:

    Turkeys have incredible eyesight.

    Calling:
    You should have a blind or a portable camo umbrella.
    Set your decoys at about 17 yards and that will give you some space beyond them.
    You want to take your shot as they are approaching/strutting for your decoy. They will come in at a zig zag usually giving you a side shot. But not always. sometimes they just run straight in and if you set up behind the decoys you may only get a frontal.
    That is what happened with my spring turkey. I thought they would come in a different way, but they came straight over a little crest and only presented me with a frontal shot. If they make it to the decoy it is likely they will realize it is not real and peel off.

    As soon as the tom's respond and seem to be approaching, get your bow up and ready.
    You want to draw taking as little movement as possible. It is possible for them to see into a blind if they are not wholly concentrating on the decoy. This is where people drawing their right draw weight have an advantage. In a blind you can move a little more and having to draw skyward because your shooting too heavy can be forgiven to an extent. But sitting behind the umbrella too much motion of the head laterally across their vision will spook them.

    Once the toms see your decoy and start approaching, do not call again unless you see them veering away. Calling while they are in visual range will lead them to look towards you and not the decoy. Sometimes this will cause them to hitch up and sometimes not.

    Umbrella
    You need to set up the umbrella so that you are shooting parallel with it.
    You don't want to draw and then try to peek over the top.
    You want to be sitting beside it, draw, and then have the turkey walk out into your shooting arch.

    Fall Hunting
    Fall hunting (non mating season) really is about getting ahead of the flock.
    Find or pattern a flock and get ahead of them. I prefer sitting behind a tree with one eye out kneeling perfectly still. As they get into range, I duck my head back slow and draw, waiting for them to come around the view of the tree and getting off my shot.
    They get less spooked by the movement of the small portion of your head going back behind the tree because it disappears. Whereas if you try peeking out and back thinking you are hiding, they will see your head coming in and out and will stay away.

    A mouth call with very very light cluck and purrs may lead curious turkeys to try looking behind the tree, drawing them in a bit closer. But do this SPARINGLY. If they hurry and you are not drawn and they see you, you will probably not get a shot off.
    Last edited by Shaman; 01-29-2007 at 08:32 PM.
    2006 PSE Diablo - 26"/68# |VBG Triangle | WB DX QS | ST Magnums
    TR One Piece Quiver | Doinker 7" M-Rod | Vibracheck HD | Scott Wildcat
    Box Family Archery Site / Diablo Owners Club / Maine Hunter Support Group

  8. #8
    dodgensince74
    Guest

    Default

    I was expecting a picture of me and my brother shooting our bows . Nice looking turkeys, way to go.

  9. #9
    get'n rid of target panic STRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    I'm waiting to find out if I have received my second permit for Turkey season here in northern Illinois. A little over two months before I can start chasing them. I can not wait to see how my new xl will do against them flaming fire flamingos. I had to put that in there. I was at an indoor archery shoot last year and this goofy guy was shooting next to us, I think it was his first shoot of this kind. his arrows went everywhere but where they suppose to. We couldn't stop laughing at his jokes, complaing and calling the turkey a flaming fire flamingo.
    .

    Carbon Matrix

    Certified NASP Instructor

  10. #10
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,882

    Default

    I'm thinking of giving it a try this year. I have never hunted turkeys before. We are getting them all over around here. Seems as though I can't even drive around without seeing flocks and flocks.


    "HONDA"

  11. #11
    get'n rid of target panic STRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I'm thinking of giving it a try this year. I have never hunted turkeys before. We are getting them all over around here. Seems as though I can't even drive around without seeing flocks and flocks.

    You have got to try it. I think turkey hunting can be more exciting than deer hunting. If you've got a decent spot to hunt em you can be on turkeys almost all day. It is a rush when you settle in before light and then them gobblers start going crazy in the roost. We've got a flock pegged down to where they roost every year come turkey season. Last year we had a flock of 30 come in, but they all held up about 40-50 yards. That was cool wathing them come in and gobble like crazy, and some of the toms were fighting off the jakes. Turkey hunting is a rush.
    .

    Carbon Matrix

    Certified NASP Instructor

  12. #12
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
    You have got to try it. I think turkey hunting can be more exciting than deer hunting. If you've got a decent spot to hunt em you can be on turkeys almost all day. It is a rush when you settle in before light and then them gobblers start going crazy in the roost. We've got a flock pegged down to where they roost every year come turkey season. Last year we had a flock of 30 come in, but they all held up about 40-50 yards. That was cool wathing them come in and gobble like crazy, and some of the toms were fighting off the jakes. Turkey hunting is a rush.
    You sound just like a buddy of mine he starts foaming at the mouth when we talk turkey hunting. I need to give it a shot this year, my wife is not going to be happy with all the calls and then the blind I'll have to buy. Oh well its much easier to ask forgivness than to ask permission.


    "HONDA"

  13. #13
    Evil Genius brokenarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    5,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    You sound just like a buddy of mine he starts foaming at the mouth when we talk turkey hunting. I need to give it a shot this year, my wife is not going to be happy with all the calls and then the blind I'll have to buy. Oh well its much easier to ask forgivness than to ask permission.
    I bought all my calls on clearance at Dicks...They have some good calls and a couple weeks before season ends they sell them at 50-75% off...I got a $30 dollar slate for $12...they're in a hurry to make room for next seasons junk...


  14. #14
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    I bought all my calls on clearance at Dicks...They have some good calls and a couple weeks before season ends they sell them at 50-75% off...I got a $30 dollar slate for $12...they're in a hurry to make room for next seasons junk...
    I love end of season clearance prices. In Dec. I bought 6 S-coils for $1 a piece at Wal-Mart.


    "HONDA"

Similar Threads

  1. Where are the turkeys?
    By Wheely in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 07:26 PM
  2. Two Turkeys
    By TnRidge in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 06:26 PM
  3. Turkeys outside my house
    By Chris in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 09:44 AM
  4. Broadheads for turkeys
    By Tim Hansen in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 11:11 PM
  5. Broaheads for Turkeys
    By Ol'Dad in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 08:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •