You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Need for Speed ?

Do you think that speed is over rated in most hunting setups ? I have allways felt that speed sells bows ,but it's accuracy that kills game .
    "A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip , but it becomes an anticlimax to the many other pleasures of the hunt."
    - Fred Bear

You're right that accuracy kills game. If you do shoot a faster bow you're going to have less drop during arrow flight. If you are not sure exactly on the distance a faster bow might save you a little as far as being accurate. With that said, hopefully the shooter knows the distance before shooting at a live animal. I shot a fast setup two years ago for 3d shoots and it helped me a lot. I could you use my top pin for up to about 28 yards and my next pin which was set a 40 yards was pretty close to the top pin. So a faster bow will increase accuracy because it allows you a bigger margin of error when judging distances. With these newer bows I don't think a deer could jump the string at 20 or even 30 yards because they are so fast and also quiet.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

First off lets define what is a fast bow??? 280..... 310??? My hunting rig and 3d bow shoot 280 to 285...... thats plenty of speed i feel, speed dose sell bows, but i say speed is nothing if you cant hit anything with it, it dose help with yardage errors, but in the end accuracy is best i feel. Everyone is so wrapped up with the speed and stuff, just think 15 years ago 260 was blazing, and still plenty to kill lots of cridders.... you dont need 310 fps to kill....

I totally agree with you Bullspotter. If you can't shoot, speed doesn't mean anything. I would take a good, forgiving bow that shoots great versus a lightning fast bow that might not be as accurate any day.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Accuracy in estimating yardage and shot placement is what puts meat in the freezer....With that said the only advantage to speed is it helps if your yardage estimate is off abit...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Accuracy in estimating yardage and shot placement is what puts meat in the freezer....With that said the only advantage to speed is it helps if your yardage estimate is off abit...
    speed not only kills, speed makes noise......and there is no denying that.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

ummm yeah anouther good point......

Site Guru

Speed kills! Granted a fast miss is a miss all the same however a faster arrow will get to the target quicker and may stand a better chance of punching through then a slower arrow of the same weight.
    No I'm not dead

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    speed not only kills, speed makes noise......and there is no denying that.....
    Hey Bowman if dem matthews are fast do they make a noise. i am seriously considering 1 for hunting. Thanks HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

dont care what anyone says, dont need 300 fps or a passthough to kill game, ive seen 100s of hunts on video, with lots of people shooting lower draw weights, women, youth hunters, older people and such who just cant pull high weights to shoot 450 grain arrows at 300 fps. Including alot of long bow and recure guys, those bows pry just wont do it.... A deer is a small animal in most cases. you only need pry 6 inches of penetration to kill it, if its hit in the right spot, sure speed and power is a great thing, and it dose help, but its just not needed. Ive also seen lots of major blood trails from hits that wernt pass thoughs also..... I say its bull, im as good of a hunter with a bow that shoots 255 as i am with 1 that shoots 300..... and 255 is more then enough, if i DO MY JOB using it....

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    dont care what anyone says, dont need 300 fps or a passthough to kill game, ive seen 100s of hunts on video, with lots of people shooting lower draw weights, women, youth hunters, older people and such who just cant pull high weights to shoot 450 grain arrows at 300 fps. Including alot of long bow and recure guys, those bows pry just wont do it.... A deer is a small animal in most cases. you only need pry 6 inches of penetration to kill it, if its hit in the right spot, sure speed and power is a great thing, and it dose help, but its just not needed. Ive also seen lots of major blood trails from hits that wernt pass thoughs also..... I say its bull, im as good of a hunter with a bow that shoots 255 as i am with 1 that shoots 300..... and 255 is more then enough, if i DO MY JOB using it....
    yeah, My pappynlaw is a little feller and he shoots low pounds for he is 83. Ive seen the arrow still in and the deer down. i really appreciate this fella for he turned my bowhunting around and got me into tournament archery. He was with me when I scored my 1st bow kill he got as big a kick out of it as I did. Thank God for men who will pass it along form the Fred Bears down. let us do the same. Keeping it alive thru us after we have passed on. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

I have hunted for 26 years now ,and speed has never really made a difference when most of my shots are less than 25 yards for whitetails . I shoot a average weight carbon arrow at 8.9 grains per inch with a 100 grain BH and 4" fletchings .
    Speed alone doesn't always mean more accuracy ,as an arrow traveling over 260 fps can be harder to control , and will wind plane with some fixed blade heads . A heavier arrow will also retain more momentum .
    I think 250-275fps is a good compromise for a hunting setup .
    "A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip , but it becomes an anticlimax to the many other pleasures of the hunt."
    - Fred Bear

Are you guys actually getting these 290 fps+ speeds? With all of this talk about speed, I was suprised. I shoot in a video/3-D league. My brother-in-law has the newest bow of the four of us. He has a Switchback. With XT hunters and the bow maxed, he is shooting 280-282. I have a Martin Jaguar, maybe 5-6 years old. At 62 lb, I am shooting 252 with Expidition hunters. I should still have 10 lb to go. I know they are lighter, but I am shooting an old "junk" bow and I can't see why all the fuss is made about the speed of the new bows.

Theirs several bows that will push 290+ no problem

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    Theirs several bows that will push 290+ no problem
    there are several bows that push 320 without a problem now especially when your shooting 30+ inch DL's
    No I'm not dead

My bow is currently at 226fps, my GFs at 185..I hope the deer don't walk away before the arrow gets there....