You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question Release vs. Fingers?

What do you know about shooting with a release vs. fingers? I shoot with a release, but was told it was harder to shoot with fingers. I have thought about taking the challenge, but I would have to have a new string made right, since my draw length would change?

Are all of you Compound shooters? Any traditional?

PS. please correct me on wrong terminology, it's been a while for me.

Howdy!! Shooting with fingers is harder, you will need to get a tab or shooting glove to help protect your fingers, Its harder because you dont get a good consistant release as a finger shooter, well until you get good at it. Now you shouldnt need to get a new string, I guess it kinda depends on how you ancor now, I shoot with the string just touching my nose, I use a release, i can also have the string on my nose when pulling with fingers. If you need to lenghten the draw on your bow, would start by looking to see if the cams are adjustable. I started shooting a release because id shoot so much, my fingers were sore all the time, was not fun for me. oh and i shoot compound also... but started with a recurve when i got into archery about 20+ years ago!!! Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the info, maybe I will try it a little. I am sure I will prefer the release.

Site Guru

A lot of the new bows make it VERY difficult to shoot with fingers do to the very sharp string angle. You need a large A2A (at least 36+) to shoot fingers comfortably, otherwise when you draw back your fingers will get pinched.

Stick to a release
    No I'm not dead

Finger release is less accurate for exactly the reasons stated above.

Another point is that you will need to set up your bow differently than for shooting with a mechanical release.

When an arrow is released with fingers it has to go arround the fingers so the first thing that the nock end of the arrow does is to move horizontally. You will need an arrow rest that can resist this sideways pressure from the arrow. The Olympic Recurve shooters have a plunger button screwed though there risers and they can adjust the tension on the button for best performance. Some of the rests used for compound bows also have this plunger, but rests with a side blade are also available.

The traditional recurve & long bow guys adjust their brace height and arrow spine to the bow so that they are getting good arrow flight. They also have a pad on the riser that can be changed for a harder or softer pad for finer adjustment.

There is a lot more to tuning for finger shooting than I have discussed above. Suffice to say that you have to account for the horizontal arrow movement to shoot fingers accurately.

Good luck,
    Allen