You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Question Sight tape help!!

So I have taken my sight and put it on the Alpine (until I can get something else) I went to the outdoor range to do some sighting in. I started on the 50 yard lane shot 5 arrows looked at group and made adjustments until satisfied. I the went to the 40 and such down to 10 yards and then sighted 45, 35.....
    Please look at how my sight tape came out. Left to right First line 10 yards, second line 20 tards, first dot 25 yards... etc.
    Could someone explain the very non-linear pin gapping? Not at all what I was expecting. I even reverified it by shooting 3 arrows at each distance again.... spot on.
    Some physics of arrow flight might be helpful

Thanks,

-two_shoes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

HUH?? Looks like your 40 yard pin should be more to the right, as in the picture. Are you maybe holding your pin higher or lower at different distances and not noticing that you are doing it? That would be my guess, if not, I can't explain it.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
    HUH?? Looks like your 40 yard pin should be more to the right, as in the picture. Are you maybe holding your pin higher or lower at different distances and not noticing that you are doing it? That would be my guess, if not, I can't explain it.
    I have no idea... the last shots I made were from 45 yards and were right on. I'll go back tomorrow and try again, but I dunno. I thought that too but I don't think I could have repeated it that many times.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

This really gets me thinking. I had the same thing going on about 2 years ago with my hunting set up, My 50 and 60 were closer together then my 40 and 50. drove me flippin crazy. and its was right on the entire season, i shot it alot, had a hard time trusting it, only thing i could think of was it was something to do with the speed and weight of the arrow, maybe it drops off slower at a ceritain speed.... i was looking for a tunning issue, but it shot sweet groups...... i still dont know what it was... Might have something to do with the arc of the arrow? with the speed and weight, got a lot bigger arc at 50 yards, i would think, your shooting the arrow up, at a far target, well when the arrow reaches its high point then starts to fall lower, it might not drop off as fast falling down as it did forcing itself upward? so maybee theirs a 7 or 8 yard area their that the arrow has a really flat line?? i dont know, it sounds good though....

Default Sounds good!

Hey bullspotter,

I like the explanation. We'll go with that until we find out otherwise. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have seen this.

Thanks,

-two_shoes
    -Thomas Jefferson

I am not trying to sell you any thing, but if you want arrow flight and unlimated sight tape check out this site i bought it last year and it works great it is very good software and its cheap. this software will tell you everything about your bow just follow instructions and you'll be nailing the 12 ring in no time.check it out.http://archersadvantage.com/AdPages/AAIntro.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Site Guru

definitely user error! ha ha just kidding

It could be the way you are holding or the way you are looking through the peep also. When you lift the bow up another inch or 2 your view through the peep may be changing.

think about it. if you draw at 20 yards and your pin in centered in your peep and you draw at 60 yards and your pin in centered in your peep something is changing

(I'm also making all this up )
    No I'm not dead

I have had the same problem with the 50-60 yard marks.they would hit the spot, but the marks were to close together. what caused this was the arrow rest was not right. I could see the arrow kick up and down some that about 30 yards. played with the arrow rest some. think I had to lower rest to get marks right and get rid of kick. if you go to www.huntsvillearcheryclub.com you can get free software to make sight tapes. look for free software on left. I had to download with yahoo to get it. hope this helps

The only time I have seen this is when someone adjusts their anchor for the longer yardage.

Let me ask this. How do you set your peep height? What I mean is what yardage setting do you use to set your peep so that when you draw and anchor with your eyes closed that everything is perfectly centered?

If your using your 20yard setting that is the problem. Every time you shoot a different yardage, your head position will be ever so slightly different in order to see through the peep and line up your dot or scope.

If you shoot 3D in the open class, set your perfect peep height at 30 yards, not 20. If you shoot field archery more than 3D, use 35 yards.

Does this make sense?
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Dredly you might have found his problem. I adjust my peep for the middle of the yards I am shooting. 10-80 yards I adjust peep at 40-45 yards so sight is centered. if I dont sight wont be in center of peep at all the yards. this can do odd things to sight marks.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    Dredly you might have found his problem. I adjust my peep for the middle of the yards I am shooting. 10-80 yards I adjust peep at 40-45 yards so sight is centered. if I dont sight wont be in center of peep at all the yards. this can do odd things to sight marks.
    Thats why I'm the BEST!
    No I'm not dead

maybe thiswas allready answered but by the looks of it you are using a single pin, is this true??.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    maybe thiswas allready answered but by the looks of it you are using a single pin, is this true??.....
    no he is just marking a sight tape because its what the cool kids do
    No I'm not dead

dodgensince74

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post

Oh, please don't tell him (Dredly) that he could have found the problem any more. We wouldn't want his head to swell any more then it already is. . The swelling he already has is causing damage as it, after all he is drifting into the dark side .

Default Single pin

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    Yes, I am using a single pin.
    -Thomas Jefferson

You might shorten your draw length a couple of twist. Some times if to long you can drop out a little at longer yardages outside.

Wink oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I wannabe a cool kid!!!!

I have set my peep (with eyes closed, anchor, then look) at 20 yards. You guys are too smart!!! I'll go and set it at 30 yards and redo evrything I've already redone. Well maybe after it quits snowing...... I shoot feathers!
    Thanks for the help, laughter and such!

-two_shoes
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    hey it was early and I was tired......forgive me princess......
    I cut things up and split them down!

hummm i had to go get my bow out and see whats up, looks like im at the 30 40 yard pin area..... now you are sayin, close your eyes, draw, ancor, then open eyes and look for the pin that is centerd in the peep right? I dont relly know how that would have made a diff in my pin gaps in the situation i had, the only thing i changed was from my target arrows to my hunting arrows, had proper spaced gaps with target arrows.... hummm i also got out my hunting sight on my trykon from last year, measured them and they all drop off a bit starting at 20 yards, 30 is .10 under, 40 is .29 under 50 is .47 under 60 is.67 under 70 is .875 under and 80 is 1.12 under....

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    hummm i had to go get my bow out and see whats up, looks like im at the 30 40 yard pin area..... now you are sayin, close your eyes, draw, ancor, then open eyes and look for the pin that is centerd in the peep right? I dont relly know how that would have made a diff in my pin gaps in the situation i had, the only thing i changed was from my target arrows to my hunting arrows, had proper spaced gaps with target arrows.... hummm i also got out my hunting sight on my trykon from last year, measured them and they all drop off a bit starting at 20 yards, 30 is .10 under, 40 is .29 under 50 is .47 under 60 is.67 under 70 is .875 under and 80 is 1.12 under....
    Hunting sites are pretty different as its rarely a single pin so when you draw back you see ALL the pins whether you are shooting 20 - 60+ in the cool little circle.

Target arrows and hunting arrows typically weigh different and so would drop at different rates.
    No I'm not dead