You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: low speed help

Default low speed help

I'm not sure how fast my bow and my girls bow should go..but this seems really slow.

Her bow
    browning adrenaline, easton jazz arrows, 26" draw and 48lbs pull, 65grain tip, 177fps 5' from the arrow. (this was shot 3x all three were 177fps)

my bow
    martin orion, easton gold tips 55/75, 27" draw, 55lbs pull, 100grn tip, 207, 209, 208, 207, 207, 5' from the arrow. Is this right? I mean seems pretty slow, I don't think I can shoot mech heads at these speeds, maybe not even deer at all, opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by n2t View Post
    I'm not sure how fast my bow and my girls bow should go..but this seems really slow.

Her bow
    browning adrenaline, easton jazz arrows, 26" draw and 48lbs pull, 65grain tip, 177fps 5' from the arrow. (this was shot 3x all three were 177fps)

my bow
    martin orion, easton gold tips 55/75, 27" draw, 55lbs pull, 100grn tip, 207, 209, 208, 207, 207, 5' from the arrow. Is this right? I mean seems pretty slow, I don't think I can shoot mech heads at these speeds, maybe not even deer at all, opinions?

I shota PSE lightning flite 2 for alot of years at 180fps....and it killed plenty of deer, Killed my biggest deer to date w/that bow....fixed and mechanical heads....A properly placed shot will kill a deer ....faster than a super fast arrow in the rump......
    I cut things up and split them down!

That's plenty fast fo hunting...at those speeds you just have to be good at judging yardage...
    as far as deer hunting the only requirement that I know of is a minimum 30# DW...That's NY anyway...

when did they change that rule....i think itstates that a leagal hunting bow has to be able to propel an arrow 150 yrd....no mater where you are aiming.....

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    when did they change that rule....i think itstates that a leagal hunting bow has to be able to propel an arrow 150 yrd....no mater where you are aiming.....
    Yeah and there was also a test like it had to propel an arrow so many yards when released at a certain angle...like 30* had to go 100 yrds???
    They standardized it a few years ago saying 30# was sufficient...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Yeah and there was also a test like it had to propel an arrow so many yards when released at a certain angle...like 30* had to go 100 yrds???
    They standardized it a few years ago saying 30# was sufficient...
    stardardazation....where the world went wrong.....

I was just expecting a bit more speed honestly out of the Orion at least. Somewhere in the 260fps range I had hoped. Guess my short draw length didn't help any. Here there is also an axel to axel measurement but yes 30# min weight far as I know. This is a situation where I think a standard rule applies so I don't mind it.

I was just expecting a bit more speed honestly out of the Orion at least. Somewhere in the 260fps range I had hoped. Guess my short draw length didn't help any. Here there is also an axel to axel measurement but yes 30# min weight far as I know. This is a situation where I think a standard rule applies so I don't mind it.
    can you explain???

I'm not extemely familiar with it...all I know is the guy at scheeles measured the distance from one axle to the other and said we could hunt with the adrenaline. I would assume this means bows sporting an extremely short A2A length are not huntable. as an asside, I saw a "no peep" site today. Looks like it would make for a very short site radius much like a pistol. Am I correct in assuming this is mostly gimmic?

I'm not extemely familiar with it...all I know is the guy at scheeles measured the distance from one axle to the other and said we could hunt with the adrenaline. I would assume this means bows sporting an extremely short A2A length are not huntable. as an asside, I saw a "no peep" site today. Looks like it would make for a very short site radius much like a pistol. Am I correct in assuming this is mostly gimmic?
    I've never heard of an A2A restriction...but nothing suprises me...

as for the no peep some guys love them, some hate them...they take some gettin used to...I have never used one, myself..

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

I wonder what the arrow speed was on those sticks and stones the Indians used to harvest all thier game with.
    It has been so well quoted arrow placement and know you effective range. My pappy n law being older and small shoots 45# and gets his deer by putting it in the vitals.(lung/liver area)
    This the main reason why I feel 3D shoots are such a tremendous blessing to us. It helps to keep us focused on the kill zone. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps