You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer 2

Default New archery sport - need opinions

Hi

Looking for your input on a new sport for archery.
    Here is a link to an 8 minute video.

Please disregard the Crossbow version of the video.

Trap shooting clay pigeons with a bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn4pAXC-Ilo

Thanks

Site Guru

If you are selling a product please put it in the classifieds and not in here. Chris can you move this please?
    No I'm not dead

Designer 2

Dredly:

There is no company
    This is a one of a kind protype.
    This is not an advertisement.

Just looking for opinions on how archers feel about a potential new sport for archery.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Designer 2 View Post
    Dredly:

There is no company
    This is a one of a kind protype.
    This is not an advertisement.

Just looking for opinions on how archers feel about a potential new sport for archery.
    alright, looked like a promo video that is designed at selling the product to me... as far as the actual concept... it looks like it may be intresting but I think you may be able to aim it at a better group of people...

hunters! I don't know how strong this fires or how much force is behind it but it would probably work very well for small game.

I think it would be insanely difficult to hit pigeons with this. I saw you dust the one in the video but how many times did you shoot before hitting it? It would definately be a challange, thats for sure!

I'm all for improving archery however possible and bringing it to more people so I would say run with it and see how it does.

btw -you may want to split the crossbow section out and make it just a bow or just a xbow video.
    No I'm not dead

It looks to be incredibly expensive...
    How much per shot ?

Ron

Designer 2

Just talking about the ShotBow.
    It is 1-1/2 cents per shot. The carrier halves only go out about 15 yards and are reusable.

Site Guru

Just talking about the ShotBow.
    It is 1-1/2 cents per shot. The carrier halves only go out about 15 yards and are reusable.
    Just curious... what propels the halves? is there a plunger or something? (I don't have sound on my work comp).

the reason I ask is you appear to be shooting an older bow w/ very large string suppresors... how would this hold up to a very new (cutting edge) bow that produces extremly high speeds and thus lots of energy.
    No I'm not dead

Designer 2

Dredly

The carrier halves are slid down the front of the track. The carrier stops when it touches the string at rest. A small spring puts sideways pressure on the carrier so it does not fall out if you point the track down. As you draw the bow, the track comes back on a series of rollers. When at full draw, you tell the guy operating the pigeon thrower to release the bird. You must be quick and aim instintively. You pull the trigger on the built in release and fire the carrier with the shot. As the carrier comes out of the front of the track, the air hits the airfoils on the front of the carrier which serperates the two carrier halves and the shot continues on in a pattern.

The bow design in the video had an IBO speed of 305. But, that bow was only 60 pounds peak at 29" of draw. You want faster shot with more energy, you just load less shot. When you do that, it makes it harder to hit the pigeon.

Granted it is difficult but a great challenge. I feel it is more exciting than shooting expensive arrows at a stationary target.

Site Guru

So is the carrier that slides on the track enough to absorb all the energy that the bow is releasing? What would this do to the warranty of a bow?

also do you have a cost on this? it may be an intresting thing to have around if the price is right...
    No I'm not dead

Designer 2

Dredly

You are still restricted to minimum weights, ie, 5 grains per peak pound.

The carrier only weighs about 60 grains so you will load it with 290 grains of shot for a 70 pound bow.

There is no cost on the system because it is not in production. This can be made on an inexpensive or expensive bow. I feel it should not be an attachment. Too many variables. This should be on it's own bow. In other words, no one will like it as an attachment because of the hassles involved in removing everything off your bow to put this on and then changing it back and re-setting and re-tuning your bow to shoot arrows. This would be a deticated bow for trap shooting. Just as gun manufacturers make seperate rifles and shotguns.

Site Guru

Dredly

You are still restricted to minimum weights, ie, 5 grains per peak pound.

The carrier only weighs about 60 grains so you will load it with 290 grains of shot for a 70 pound bow.

There is no cost on the system because it is not in production. This can be made on an inexpensive or expensive bow. I feel it should not be an attachment. Too many variables. This should be on it's own bow. In other words, no one will like it as an attachment because of the hassles involved in removing everything off your bow to put this on and then changing it back and re-setting and re-tuning your bow to shoot arrows. This would be a deticated bow for trap shooting. Just as gun manufacturers make seperate rifles and shotguns.
    ouch... in my opinion that will turn a lot of people off the product. People already have mutliple bows, buying another for a limited usage is going to be difficult. Also your going to have to get a bow manufacturer to buy in and produce the bows for this...

I would much rather have an attachment
    No I'm not dead

Designer 2

Dredly

People grab the toys which are the most fun. Cost is a major concern with some but not with all. There would be too many headaches involved with making it an attachment. Not everybody is mechanically minded.

Yes. A company will have to start building it. That is why I am offering a ROYALTY FREE license to only ONE company to get it started.

Site Guru

Dredly

People grab the toys which are the most fun. Cost is a major concern with some but not with all. There would be too many headaches involved with making it an attachment. Not everybody is mechanically minded.

Yes. A company will have to start building it. That is why I am offering a ROYALTY FREE license to only ONE company to get it started.
    Have you looked at the designs used for the archery paintball attachment and the archery pellet gun? they are very simple to install and appear to be similar to what you are using here.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for expanding archery into all areas but I think people will be very hesitant to purchase a new bow for a sport that is dominated by shotguns. Especially when the cost of the bow will be on par with a mid-range shotgun.

I hope everything works out with it and if I can help in any way please let me know.
    No I'm not dead

Designer 2

Dredly

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Site Guru

Dredly

Thanks, I appreciate that.
    sent ya a PM.
    No I'm not dead

what would happen -besides a few accidents if you captured the nock & cut off the end of a shaft and then filled or rather partly filled it with some shot?
    shot bow - n'est pas?
    find how far down the 'barrel' to place the wad
    or - the 'arrow / barrel' - shaft has a froth of flectching that kills its speed , making it retreavable and aiming the shot? - been done right?
    Have you ever seen the video ofthe guy who shoots a couple of aspirin out tossed up by his wife and then shoot s a baby asirin - smaller than the dia. of the shaft ! with a long bow
    Last edited by Lefteye; 02-05-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: evolution

Designer 2

Dredly

Got the PM. That for the great suggestions. I'll post a bunch of photos tomorrow.

Lefteye

Can't do it that way. Wastes too much of the bows energy accelerating an arrow segment when it is not used against the target. Besides, the arrow piece still attached to the string would pull the string way too far forward upon the shot.

Designer 2

Dredly

Here is a link to a thread a guy started on Huntingnet.com
    It's called, "Let's see your bowhunting inventions".
    I added to it about the middle of the second page.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1971074

There are a bunch of photos there with explanations.

Site Guru

Dredly

Here is a link to a thread a guy started on Huntingnet.com
    It's called, "Let's see your bowhunting inventions".
    I added to it about the middle of the second page.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1971074

There are a bunch of photos there with explanations.
    cool. well Like I said I really hope it does well.

Have you gotten any hits yet from the manufacturers and who all have you tried?
    No I'm not dead

Designer 2

Dredly

Must keep that confidential. Hope you understand

Thanks again