You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Help with Target Panic

Does anyone have any advice on how to correct my target panic. After I draw I bring bow up to the target and I get locked in right under the twelve ring. It's like I am froze there. I've thought about sighting my bow in so it will shoot a little high and just deal with the target panic that way. But I would rather solve this problem rather then just masking the problem. Help me please!!!!!!!

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Bring from the top down and see if that helps any

2012 Bow Tech Pro Staff
    Sword Pro Staff Vane Tech Pro Staff
    Gold Tip Factory Staff Coffey marketing
    A.S.A. IL. State Director

I shoot w/my pin right under where I want to hit.....the pin always settled there so thats where I left it.....

I have been shooting that way for almost 2 years......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    I shoot w/my pin right under where I want to hit.....the pin always settled there so thats where I left it.....

So are you saying your arrow hits higher then where your pin is locked in at or your aiming point?

Carbon Matrix

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Boys it sure is funny how a little piece of paper can spook up a big ol boy. Just focus on your form go through the proceedure in your head before the shoot and then during the shot and bingo your mind is where it belongs in your head to your body and not up at that little ol piece of paper. HS

Ahummmm Coach HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post

I have heard of guys where when they done this the problem just kept getting worse and worse. They were having to hold way below the target to adjust for it. My experience was lots and lots of blind bailing followed by about 2 weeks of the 5 yard drill then 10 yard drill. Just have to retrain you brain. Trust me though as boring as blind bailing is it is a great excercise. Here are a couple of articles that helped alot which was written by Griv(George Ryals IV). Good luck I hope this helps you out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

"HONDA"

Thanks for the advise, it looks like I may have a lot of work cut out for me to break this habit. Although, I have found with my new vectrix xl that it shoots so well that i can close my eyes when I shoot and drill the 12 ring everytime.

Carbon Matrix

Site Guru

shoot with your eyes closes
    No I'm not dead

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    shoot with your eyes closes
    That is if you do not want to shoot many x's

Hey that is some good advice but remember You are the master not that little piece of paper. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default Blind Bailing

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I have heard of guys where when they done this the problem just kept getting worse and worse. They were having to hold way below the target to adjust for it. My experience was lots and lots of blind bailing followed by about 2 weeks of the 5 yard drill then 10 yard drill. Just have to retrain you brain. Trust me though as boring as blind bailing is it is a great excercise. Here are a couple of articles that helped alot which was written by Griv(George Ryals IV). Good luck I hope this helps you out.
    This looks like good advice to me. Take your sight off, or close your eyes and Work on form and follow through.
    What type of release do you shoot. Some releases are very easy to punch, some very difficult. Sometimes, for some people, just getting away from the index finger trigger can help.
    Practice aiming, do not shoot. Draw your bow, with arrow nocked and aim for 10 to 15 seconds. Let down. Give it 20 seconds. Repeat. 30 times
    Not much fun, I know. This will teach you many things, and will link brain and muscle. You will find that you can put your pin on the target and hold it there. Do not shoot when doing this drill.
    Do this for a few days and then you can move into combineing this drill with the blind bale shooting drill. It is very important to close your eyes before initiating your shot. Sequence would be draw-aim-1-2-3-4-5 close eyes and pull through shot- follow through.
    Many other methods around and the one that works for you may not work for the next guy.
    Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    That is if you do not want to shoot many x's

Hey that is some good advice but remember You are the master not that little piece of paper. HS
    Yeah HS... That paper is not going to hurt you, right ? No need to panic... Simple !

Ron

I do notice more target panic when I'm shooting a piece of paper versus a 3-d target. It's that little black dot. It should be so easy, put your pin on the dot and shoot.

Carbon Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I can tell you first hand that the program that George lays out will work, but only if you don't rush it.

My form of TP was flintching. And I am still at 10 yards.

Good luck,
    Allen