You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: string loop

Default string loop

I recently went to my archery shop to inquire about adding on a string loop to my bow because of all the good things I have heard about them. I shoot a Mathews Outback at 29 in. and they told me the loop would add about 1/2 inch on to my existing draw length. They said I would need to purchase a new cam which would cost 60 bucks!!! to compinsate for the draw length. Is this true ???? Is it worth it ???? are string loops overrated??? I would really like to put one on this year. any suggestions would be great. thanks

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by QDAWG44 View Post
    I recently went to my archery shop to inquire about adding on a string loop to my bow because of all the good things I have heard about them. I shoot a Mathews Outback at 29 in. and they told me the loop would add about 1/2 inch on to my existing draw length. They said I would need to purchase a new cam which would cost 60 bucks!!! to compinsate for the draw length. Is this true ???? Is it worth it ???? are string loops overrated??? I would really like to put one on this year. any suggestions would be great. thanks
    no its 100% false! D-Loops DO NOT affect your draw length. Your arrow will still knock to the same point and your draw will still be to the same spot(your knock should line up directly below your eye). Your anchor may change slightly but it will not change your drawlength
    No I'm not dead

i would try a new shop! alot of people like the loop i personally dont. i dont think theres anything wrong with them, just not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    no its 100% false! D-Loops DO NOT affect your draw length. Your arrow will still knock to the same point and your draw will still be to the same spot(your knock should line up directly below your eye). Your anchor may change slightly but it will not change your drawlength
    Yep.................it will not change your DL just your anchor point.

"HONDA"

now i would have to disagree,it will change your draw slightly but you shoulnd'nt have to buy a new cam you can change your draw on your cam if it is not at the lowest setting then you'll need to shortin your release a little. but you may not have to do anything try a loop and and see how it feel's.
    the purpose for the loop is it give you a straighter nock travel instead of your nocking point pintching the arrow nock.and anything you add or take away from your bow makes a difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't mean to highjack this, but if you change your anchor point why does that not change your draw length? Shouldn't you anchor at the corner of your mouth? How do you figure draw length without a standard anchor point? I'm new and just learning, not doubting anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhaul View Post
    Don't mean to highjack this, but if you change your anchor point why does that not change your draw length? Shouldn't you anchor at the corner of your mouth? How do you figure draw length without a standard anchor point? I'm new and just learning, not doubting anybody.
    The nock is still gonna be in the same spot, but the anchor point of your hand will change slightly...

If you go from fingers to a release, does that change your draw length? Or is that one of those things that people talk about wrong? I thought that draw length would basically bee measured from the heal of your shooting hand to wherever it took to get the kisser to your anchor point. It was never explained to me, but that is what I came up with by watching and listening. I don't know if this post should be moved. I guess that I did end up side-tracking it. Sorry.

I hope this helps...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by midevilarcher5575 View Post
    now i would have to disagree,it will change your draw slightly but you shoulnd'nt have to buy a new cam you can change your draw on your cam if it is not at the lowest setting then you'll need to shortin your release a little. but you may not have to do anything try a loop and and see how it feel's.
    the purpose for the loop is it give you a straighter nock travel instead of your nocking point pintching the arrow nock.and anything you add or take away from your bow makes a difference.
    it will not change your draw your arrow will still have to be the same lgn.
    only your ancore point will change.
    kersey pa.
    mathews conquest Pro
    target
    Mathews LX
    hunting

I don't want to,but I am going to make this worse. What determins your draw length? Is it how far you want to pull the bow? If I take a 28 in draw with a loop or a 29 with out, I will still be pulling my arm to the same point. So if I want to anchor at my ear I could shoot a 31 draw? I have to let you know that I am a thinker and an analyst. I just want to know how this work. If I am too far gone, PM me, I will give you my number or call you and you can explain it without typing.

I don't want to,but I am going to make this worse. What determins your draw length? Is it how far you want to pull the bow? If I take a 28 in draw with a loop or a 29 with out, I will still be pulling my arm to the same point. So if I want to anchor at my ear I could shoot a 31 draw? I have to let you know that I am a thinker and an analyst. I just want to know how this work. If I am too far gone, PM me, I will give you my number or call you and you can explain it without typing.
    But a phone call won't increase our post count...

A loop is generally 1/2"...I don't recomend anchoring at your ear...
    The idea of the loop is not to increase the bows DL thats what the cams are for...I have seen 1" loops, but the longer the loop the more effect it would have on the sting...Am I right???(I really am asking..)

As far as your DL you want the nock around the corner of your mouth and the string against your nose...My friends son tried to shoot a bow that's 2-3" too long anchored at his ear...dragged the nock across his cheek...OUCH!!

Site Guru

Proper draw length is determine by where you draw to, not where your arm wants to go

For correct draw length the nock of the arrow should line up under your eye on a side picture. Where D-Loops come in is if you want to shoot a longer or shorter release or have a more comfortable point to hold at w/ whichever release you chose to use.

Basically D-Loops began because of damage to strings from releases. Now a lot of people use them as crutches to correct DL issues but I've said it before and I'll say it again... D-Loops do not affect correct DL
    No I'm not dead

Site Guru

here check this image out... it may help a bit (I think its Randy Ulmer, i just yoinked it off AT)

string loop - Bowhunting forum

Post up some pics of you at full draw from the side and back (try shooting at a target that is chest high so your looking straight at it) and we'll give some advice (and harass you)
    No I'm not dead

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

here check this image out... it may help a bit (I think its Randy Ulmer, i just yoinked it off AT)

string loop - Bowhunting forum

Post up some pics of you at full draw from the side and back (try shooting at a target that is chest high so your looking straight at it) and we'll give some advice (and harass you)

I like to use a kiss button at my nose to make it my anchor point also using the nose keeps in the center of the body.
    By the way Dread that is RU. Back in his day he was one of the best. early thru late 90's. He is also a MD Doctor. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    I like to use a kiss button at my nose to make it my anchor point also using the nose keeps in the center of the body.
    By the way Dread that is RU. Back in his day he was one of the best. early thru late 90's. He is also a MD Doctor. HS
    yup I draw to my nose and shoot bent armed... I think I'd be a 31 1/2 draw if I shot straight arm haaha
    No I'm not dead

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

yup I draw to my nose and shoot bent armed... I think I'd be a 31 1/2 draw if I shot straight arm haaha
    Boys you sure get a launch on that thing.

By the way i just got a Xt a hr ago at 29.5 and the draw is perfect with out a loop . Do I want to twist the string up and put a loop on it for I want to do a loop. Thanks HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

By the way i just got a Xt a hr ago at 29.5 and the draw is perfect with out a loop . Do I want to twist the string up and put a loop on it for I want to do a loop. Thanks HS
    then shoot off the sting There is nothing that says you NEED to shoot a loop. I find it much more convient personally but its 100% personal preference
    No I'm not dead

get your self a 29 inch cam and shoot w/a loop.....do it the right way, so you will be happy w/your purchace.....
    I cut things up and split them down!