You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: newer bow?

Default newer bow?

I just got into archery recently. Picked up a martin orion for 275 bucks. It shoots well, draws is smooth, but it's slow and I honestly don't know if I'll ever reach the limit of the 70 pound limbs. I'm pulling about 60 right now and don't know if I really need to pull higher poundage. I know it's got more "hand shock" than modern bows, doesn't have parallel limbs, nor a rear stabalizer hole for the STS (though I can front mount the STS anyway). I also can't get the speed above 226fps (it's IBO rated at 300fps) My question is, am I actualy gaining anything by switching to a bow like the drenaline with 60 pound limbs? Will I honestly be able to shoot faster, more accurately, longer or reap any real world bennefits from a "better" more modern and more expensive bow? The orion isn't one of martins "pro" bows it's one of their lower end. But what advantage will I get if I switch or is it even worth switching?

Quote Originally Posted by n2t View Post
    I just got into archery recently. Picked up a martin orion for 275 bucks. It shoots well, draws is smooth, but it's slow and I honestly don't know if I'll ever reach the limit of the 70 pound limbs. I'm pulling about 60 right now and don't know if I really need to pull higher poundage. I know it's got more "hand shock" than modern bows, doesn't have parallel limbs, nor a rear stabalizer hole for the STS (though I can front mount the STS anyway). I also can't get the speed above 226fps (it's IBO rated at 300fps) My question is, am I actualy gaining anything by switching to a bow like the drenaline with 60 pound limbs? Will I honestly be able to shoot faster, more accurately, longer or reap any real world bennefits from a "better" more modern and more expensive bow? The orion isn't one of martins "pro" bows it's one of their lower end. But what advantage will I get if I switch or is it even worth switching?

I for one would have to say you need to shoot that bow for a while and get used to it and learn how to shoot, then upgrade and see the real benefits

all the upgrades in the world wont help a person who deosnt know how to shoot to begin with....look at me
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    I for one would have to say you need to shoot that bow for a while and get used to it and learn how to shoot, then upgrade and see the real benefits

all the upgrades in the world wont help a person who deosnt know how to shoot to begin with....look at me
    COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF,THANK'S BOWMAN

Agreed...Shoot what ya got and learn to shoot it right...Then go from there...

Site Guru

isn't your girlfriend pulling 64 pounds or something like that?

You can get a full passthrough on a deer w/ 40 pounds man.
    No I'm not dead

she's pulling around 48lbs this is for me though. I am pulling around 60lbs. I was just curious on the diff between what's seen as a "high end" and a "low end" bow. Or so I was told was the case with the orion (it being "low end").

Site Guru

she's pulling around 48lbs this is for me though. I am pulling around 60lbs. I was just curious on the diff between what's seen as a "high end" and a "low end" bow. Or so I was told was the case with the orion (it being "low end").
    You will see a difference in how smooth the draw is and how fast it shoots but you'll still be pulling about the same weight.

If you want to look for a new bow I would strongly suggest checking out the Martin Bengal. its about 400.00 brand new and is one of (if not THE) best bow for the price tag
    No I'm not dead

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Martian is one of the longest and quality bowerys in this country. They have quick service and a great tech support group.
    Just shoot what you got and enjoy it don't let everybody else opinion cause you to spend that $$ on something that you might not be satisfied with.

If it is hitting the spot keep on drilling it. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

dont forget to look at the mission line if the need for a new bow is still in your head.....

but I still stand by my previous statement....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Sounds like there are no vast improvements over what I have. I'll probably spend a few bucks on a front mounted STS and enjoy my Orion. It shoots great I was just wondering what I was missing.