You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which broadheads are you shooting this year?

Which broadhead do you plan to hunt with this year and why?

There are so many to choose from.
    Here is my short list.
    G5 Montec 100gr
    Muzzy 3-blade 100gr
    Muzzy 4-blade 100gr
    Stinger 100gr
    NAP crossfire

Am I forgetting anything worth checking out. I want field point like accuracy!

I plan to use the Steel Force broadheads again this year. I may have to change to the 125 gr. instead of the 100 gr. I used last year. Then again, I may have to change arrows and broadheads altogether. I have a new hunting bow, so, time and tests will tell. But, I will use whatever flys if my Steel Forces do not perform on my new bow.

I have met a bunch of people at shoots this year that use mechanicals. I have never used one, but they love them. Hmmm.....I may be using them.

One thing for fact, I have learned it seems best if you don't let yourself become so "brand loyal" ( bows makers inclusive) that you ignore equipment that can enhance your set up. Use what works is my opinion.

I killed my first deer with a Zwickey Black Diamond. They work great on my PSE Coyote recurve to date. But, I would never even think about these on my compounds. Altho, the Steel Force broadheads may fly great on the recurve. Hmmm.........

Good thread Bow. I am interested in seeing what everyone is using.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

Well..........What are ya'll using?

This thread could be very informative to folks who are undecided or unsure about what to try.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

I like Rocket's. I have had great results with them for years. I like the fact that they fly the same as my field points. I have used 100 gr. Hammerhead, 100 gr. Steelheads and several others.

I've heard good results about the Montec G5. But they have an interesting looking expandable coming out too. I read the broadhead test on the NAP Nitron and crossfire so I am considering those also

rocky mountain snypers fly like field points.i shot 3 deer with them and they all left a real good blood trail.

The snipers are two blade expandables right?
    I prefer 3 blade though.

I shoot Rocket mechanicals. I shoot the Rocket Sidewinder. They fly just like your field points.

Default Still undecided!

I have never really hunted with stick & string. I went out last year with the recurve, but had little confidence in my shooting. I am considering either muzzy or crimson talons. Supposedly the crimson talons fly great for a fixed blade broadhead. I have some Rocky Mountain Expandables for turkey huntin' that fly excellent, and I am sure they would work for deer, but I am not comfortable with them for deer season. Any thoughts on the Crimson Talon?

rocket miniblasters, using them on 3-49 acc's, great results. very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by qualitymilk1
    I have never really hunted with stick & string. I went out last year with the recurve, but had little confidence in my shooting. I am considering either muzzy or crimson talons. Supposedly the crimson talons fly great for a fixed blade broadhead. I have some Rocky Mountain Expandables for turkey huntin' that fly excellent, and I am sure they would work for deer, but I am not comfortable with them for deer season. Any thoughts on the Crimson Talon?

the talons are terrible they tear up really bad and IMHO dont fly that well, i see them as more of a gimmic, look at the NAP NITRON 100 GRN if your gonna go fixed blade.
    Here's my setup Mathews Outback, Alpine Soft-Loc 5 arrow Quiver, Impact Solo-site, NAP Quicktune 2000 RG Arrow rest, Vibracheck stabilizer, Sims Ultra Limb Savers, Scott Mongoose NCS Release. Shooting Easton Axis Arrows (400's)

"The beast is dead, Long live the beast!"

this season i think i have got it narrowed down to 3 differnt choices, eather the NAP NITRON 100 GRN, the Rockey Mtn sniper, or the wasp jackhammer. I will be using easton axis arrows with NAP quickspin vaines.
    Here's my setup Mathews Outback, Alpine Soft-Loc 5 arrow Quiver, Impact Solo-site, NAP Quicktune 2000 RG Arrow rest, Vibracheck stabilizer, Sims Ultra Limb Savers, Scott Mongoose NCS Release. Shooting Easton Axis Arrows (400's)

"The beast is dead, Long live the beast!"

Default Broadheads

Rocket Steelhead 100's...deadly accurate!

Default I thought I would let you know what I am shootin'

I wasn't to sure which ones to get,had to buy some anyways to see how they would fly.
    I bought g5' tekan expandables and slick tricks and shokote's,
    I got everthing in 125 grain except for the shokote'in 150.
    I tryed the shokote' first and they flew fairly decent ,at 50 yards,I was left about four inches,and still have to try them again to see how well I can get them in now that I have been fine tuning things.
    The slicktricks and the tekans really were a tie for accuracy,because at 30 yards they were drilling center of a 2" circle every shot.
    I then heard some rumor that tekans were supposably in question of being legal(here in the state of IL) due to being a barbed broadhead or not.
    There not considered barbed according to the g5 manufacturing company,so,I will be using these in the stand.
    I will use the slicktricks in the blind for the fact of the netting.
    I guess that I might try out each of these on does if I can,ha,ha, just to see what happens,or see what happens when my freinds shoot one of these on deer.
    But I am faily confident all thes will work so.
    Let's here some imput on these as deer season progresses,It can help us all,thanx.

Default PastrBob

I've been practicing with Spitfires--125 gr. For sure, they fly like fieldpoints; and in practice, I've never had a problem with them not opening. But on another site, some question the necessary KE that it takes to open them. So, I have a question: Does anyone have experience hunting with them?

Many people have opinions, based upon something they've read or heard; but I'd really appreciate answers from those who've had actual experience with them--good, or bad.

Thanks,
    Bob

my brother has been shooting spits for a few years and has taken several deer and elk without one problem...he swears by them. I am an elk hunting guide and quite a few of my hunters also use them with great success. I myself shoot rocket steelheads with one setup and muzzy 3 blade with another and they both have performed flawlessly

shooting thunderhead 100's, but i'm switching to muzzy's because my buddy shoots them with almost the same set up and he had all passthrough's this year where I had only one and they were all good hits. I think they just have alot more penatration. I don't like mechanicals. they might fly a little nicer but I think theres to many things that could happen, I also heard alot of the guides out west won't alow them cause to many hunters are loosing elk and whitetail.

NAP Thunderhead 85s. I find them strong for thier weight, and accurate.

Default Thunderheads

I have used NAP 100 gr. Thunderheads for years with great results. I am going to tinker this spring with the G5 Montec's. My thinking is if you can get fixed blades to fly like your field points, why use mechanicals. Sometimes it has taken some messing around to achieve this but can be done on most set ups.

After this last season, I'm sticking with the SlickTrick 100's! They got great penetration and fly just like target points.