You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any suggestions for backtension?

Im playing around with backtension(for the 2nd time) and not having much luck.(for the 2nd time)

Quote Originally Posted by dano-c4 View Post
    Im playing around with backtension(for the 2nd time) and not having much luck.(for the 2nd time)
    and suggestions?????

hmm ......give up

just kiddin, hit the blank bail time out range.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    and suggestions?????

hmm ......give up

just kiddin, hit the blank bail time out range.....
    Yeah, I did for the first 75 shots. I think I need to do it some more. I think I'm not relaxing my hand enough.

Set the releaes very slow and shoot only blank bale till you get used to it.
    08 Constitution 50# 29"
    08 Allegiance 70#
    07 Guardian 77#
    http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=478
    FBSA Member

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Wink

Yeah, I did for the first 75 shots. I think I need to do it some more. I think I'm not relaxing my hand enough.
    It's easing the hand and pulling through. Think of only pausing the draw to achieve your "sight picture" and then continue to pull slightly as you ease the tension in the index and middle finger. Unless you have some sort of restraint, I don't like the term "relax" as a BT device could be hurled at the target along with your arrow!

Good luck. Blind bail (cover or remove sight) from 3 yards for 2 weeks every night (20-30 arrows) until you feel comfortable... then introduce a target & sights @ 5 yards.... then 10 then 20....etc.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

Thanks for the help!

Talking

Hey Dano c4 you can try this set it alittle heavy for while. Draw your bow, settle in then start pushing your bow hand at the same time pull with your release hand make it feel like your trying to push the pin into the target concentrait only on the pin. Its what I do maybe it will help you.

Hey, this is good advoce guys and the question came up before I had a chance to ask it.
    I'm getting ready to try out my Solution 3 in back tension mode. I'm working on getting up the guts to try it... Maybe a few more cans of spinach will do the trick.

Wish me luck !

Ron

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Here is a word from the Olympic coach Al Henderson that really works.... Think about putting a little pressure on you bowhand thumd tip now put some on you release arm at the very tip point of the elbow ..... now relax that wrist and .....squeese that trigger. Remember think about putting it there not much more that a thought will do..... This sets up the proper pressure on your 2 shoulder blades as they pull together

Archery is a 2 point pressure system.....you must have equal pressure on the bow arm and the release arm for the arrow to go striagth.... Clear as mud..... thats what I thought.....HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Hey, this is good advoce guys and the question came up before I had a chance to ask it.
    I'm getting ready to try out my Solution 3 in back tension mode. I'm working on getting up the guts to try it... Maybe a few more cans of spinach will do the trick.

Wish me luck !

Ron

Eat mor spiniach HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Eat mor spiniach HS
    I had some in my salad at lunch. I hope it's not tainted...

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    I had some in my salad at lunch. I hope it's not tainted...

Ron
    I cut things up and split them down!

HS

Talking

I started with a TRU Ball Ultra Sweet Spot II three finger and my Bernie Laz-air shot trainer. I did not like the idea of a arrow flying of into what ever on the draw cycle. Using the shot trainer allowed me just to concentrate on the release. The I worked on the aiming. After many nights just before bed I shot 10+ times and got very comfortable with it. I now shoot a three finger Zenith rather well and look to move to a two finger in the future. I still have the shot trainer if your interested.
    Last edited by whitetail99; 02-21-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Bowman, now that's funny...
    I'm still hanging in there so the spinach in my salad was likely not tainted with E Coli... Thank heaven...

Ron

I think that your real question is "why shoot back tension?".

If your accuracy is good enough for what you want to do with archery, don't bother. There is no reason to learn a technique that while easy to learn, is pretty difficult to master.

However, if you are not satisfied with what you are doing now, then the purpose of back tension is to reduce the amount of movement while executing your release.

To paraphrase one of America's greatest coaches -The skill of archery is to maintain stillness during the execution of a shot. Once you are set and settled your pin on the target, you want to execute your release without anything moving that will take your pin off of the target.

Shooting without back tension usually involves contracting the longer muscles in your release arm and the muscles in your release hand. These muscles are relatively far away from your spine and the contraction of them tends to cause more movement, making it more difficult to keep your pin on the target. Also, since they are further away from your spine, there is often some negative affect on your balance.

Back tension utilizes the shorter muscles of your back (primarily the rhomboids) to execute the release. These are also closer to your spine.

The result is that there is less movement from the contraction of short muscles than from contraction of long muscles. Then when you add in better balance from being closer to the spine, you get a shooting technique that makes it easier to stay still and on target.

The critical thing to learning back tension is to have your draw length set correctly. A general rule is to set it so that the bottom of the nock groove is directly below the pupil of your aiming eye at full draw. That's just a place to start and as you learn BT you may want to adjust it.

Back tension execution is actually pretty simple. Once you get to full draw, simply move your bow arm elbow straight back in line with the arrow while maintaining your anchor. This will automatically utilize the correct muscles for back tension. You will probably have to adjust the travel on your release to keep your execution as smooth and strong as possible.

This is a lot easier to learn with a loop of rope set to your draw length than with your bow.

The goal is to take this technique to the point that you do it subconsciously which leaves your mind free to focus on the target.

There is a lot more to this that you will learn as you develop a backtension shot, but this will get you started.

Also, backtension release execution is only part of a good shot. You have a lot of other things in your shot sequence to learn to have the best shot possible for you.

Good luck
    Allen
    Last edited by Allen; 02-23-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I think that your real question is "why shoot back tension?".

If your accuracy is good enough for what you want to do with archery, don't bother. There is no reason to learn a technique that while easy to learn, is pretty difficult to master.

However, if you are not satisfied with what you are doing now, then the purpose of back tension is to reduce the amount of movement while executing your release.

To paraphrase one of America's greatest coaches -The skill of archery is to maintain stillness during the execution of a shot. Once you are set and settled your pin on the target, you want to execute your release without anything moving that will take your pin off of the target.

Shooting without back tension usually involves contracting the longer muscles in your release arm and the muscles in your release hand. These muscles are relatively far away from your spine and the contraction of them tends to cause more movement, making it more difficult to keep your pin on the target. Also, since they are further away from your spine, there is often some negative affect on your balance.

Back tension utilizes the shorter muscles of your back (primarily the rhomboids) to execute the release. These are also closer to your spine.

The result is that there is less movement from the contraction of short muscles than from contraction of long muscles. Then when you add in better balance from being closer to the spine, you get a shooting technique that makes it easier to stay still and on target.

The critical thing to learning back tension is to have your draw length set correctly. A general rule is to set it so that the bottom of the nock groove is directly below the pupil of your aiming eye at full draw. That's just a place to start and as you learn BT you may want to adjust it.

Back tension execution is actually pretty simple. Once you get to full draw, simply move your bow arm elbow straight back in line with the arrow while maintaining your anchor. This will automatically utilize the correct muscles for back tension. You will probably have to adjust the travel on your release to keep your execution as smooth and strong as possible.

This is a lot easier to learn with a loop of rope set to your draw length than with your bow.

The goal is to take this technique to the point that you do it subconsciously which leaves your mind free to focus on the target.

There is a lot more to this that you will learn as you develop a backtension shot, but this will get you started.

Also, backtension release execution is only part of a good shot. You have a lot of other things in your shot sequence to learn to have the best shot possible for you.

Good luck
    Allen
    That's a lot of info! Nice write up Allen!
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Thanks to everyone for the help!!

Thanks to everyone for the help!!
    Shouldn't you be blind bailing????
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by two_shoes View Post
    Shouldn't you be blind bailing????
    Well, I shot it Wed. night, but switched bows for 3d, so I didn't use the bt today. I'm getting better with it, slowly but surely.