You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Right handed or Left handed?

Im ready to get my first bow. My problem is Im right handed but my left eye is dominate. Should I get a right or left handed bow. I have shot both and both feel close to the same. Shooting left is not as awkward as I thought it would be.
    I would rather shoot right. Can a right handed left eye dominate person become a good shooter? What do yall experts think. What ever way I go is what I'll stay with.

First off to the forum.

As for your question I also am right handed and left eye dominant but shoot a bow right handed this is the way I started off almost 30 years ago. I have shot left handed before but it is very awkward for me so I am staying with right handed. I would suggest if lefty feels ok to you then thats the way to go. Unless you like Elite bows. Good luck only you can make this decision on whats the best for you. Again glad to have you with us.

"HONDA"

Site Guru

LEFTY!!!!

Learn to shoot lefty and you will save yourself LOTS of problems. I'm RH in everything except shooting because I'm left eye dominant.

I would strongly encourage you to shoot LH, it actually isn't very hard at all to learn and in reality if you think about it with todays equipment it makes more sense to shoot lefty anyway.

- you are holding and aiming with your stronger hand

- the amount of weight you are holding is minimal when at full draw and it isn't like a lot of muscle is needed to pull back anyway

- You'll be able to aim correctly which will be very difficult to do if shooting RH
    No I'm not dead

It will be easier for you to shoot lefty...My wife just went through this...equipment is alittle harder to find though...

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    LEFTY!!!!

Learn to shoot lefty and you will save yourself LOTS of problems. I'm RH in everything except shooting because I'm left eye dominant.

I would strongly encourage you to shoot LH, it actually isn't very hard at all to learn and in reality if you think about it with todays equipment it makes more sense to shoot lefty anyway.

- you are holding and aiming with your stronger hand

- the amount of weight you are holding is minimal when at full draw and it isn't like a lot of muscle is needed to pull back anyway

- You'll be able to aim correctly which will be very difficult to do if shooting RH

so now the truth about why dredly is pissed off at the world finally shows its ugly head.......

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    so now the truth about why dredly is pissed off at the world finally shows its ugly head.......
    Yeah...he's not a real lefty...he's some kinda halvsie...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Yeah...he's not a real lefty...he's some kinda halvsie...
    he really is some kind of weirdo.......

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Now Bowman. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

I'd respond but I'm being nice for the next hour or so so I'll put this one on hold
    No I'm not dead

I'd respond but I'm being nice for the next hour or so so I'll put this one on hold
    We are waiting????

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    We are waiting????
    ehhh I'd make fun of him but if you saw the picture he posted of his head completely shaved you'd know that he will get more abuse at home then i could possibly dish out
    No I'm not dead

ehhh I'd make fun of him but if you saw the picture he posted of his head completely shaved you'd know that he will get more abuse at home then i could possibly dish out

I thought he was a slave to fashion and following the trend set by Britney.

why were you being nice???

why were you being nice???
    I believe maybe it's.............................PITY.

"HONDA"

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I believe maybe it's.............................PITY.
    yup
    No I'm not dead

Take it from someone who has been shooting right handed all his life only found out a couple of months ago that he is left eye dominate, do the swap over now, whilst you in the beginning stages of your bow career. What happened in my situation was that I kept on closing my left eye to compensate for the distorted picture I would see when both my eyes were open. What happens when you shoot like is that it sends "mixed signals" to your brain. Your right eye not being the "strong" eye now has to over expose itself to allow sufficient light into your eye due to it not being use to being the “stronger” eye. What this will result into is that due to your right eye opening slightly more than usual, the eye sometimes would feel like its "drying up" which could cause the eye to tear, which is not the best position to be in having your sights set on your trophy buck which just doesn't want to move in the right position, this all whilst on full draw. The more you keep your right eye closed (during practicing for an example), the more the left eye wants rectify the situation by wanting to open, this could result into the left eye starting to "bounce" or "shudder". Now if you only want to hunt, this should pose no problem, because you end up only shooting a few arrows for the day, but should you decide to compete, it will eventually become a problem.
    Shooting with ones "strong" eye, will allow you to shoot with both eyes open. This will allow you to shoot without distorting the target simply because you are now allowing the correct amount of light to be filtered through your eyes.
    In the beginning it will feel strange to shoot left handed, but it took me only a few weeks to shoot at the same level I was accustomed to with my right hand bow.
    I am not saying that it is not possible to shoot right handed with a left eye dominance situation, I know quite a few guys who do just that, all I am saying is my shooting has improved tremendously ever since I swapped my right hand bow for a left hand model.