You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default axle to axle and forgiveness factor?

I was having a discussion with a couple of shooter that have 27.5-28" draw. Their hoyt shooters and both stated they felt they shot better with XT2000 limbs that XT3000 limbs.

So if Axle-to-Axle is everything than why would this be the case. Now as a disclaimer, I tend to agree with these shooters.

What do you all think?
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

I don't know....I suck the same no matter the ATA...
    I really only thought about ATA when I shot fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I was having a discussion with a couple of shooter that have 27.5-28" draw. Their hoyt shooters and both stated they felt they shot better with XT2000 limbs that XT3000 limbs.

So if Axle-to-Axle is everything than why would this be the case. Now as a disclaimer, I tend to agree with these shooters.

What do you all think?

ergonomics...........what feels and works best in your hand.......longer ata bows went out the window a few years ago.....and when you can shoot a switchback or allegiance size bow as good as they shoot then why do you need all that extra phisical mass there......???

I am a 27.5 and have a Switchback and a Conquest 4, the only difference is the longer bows hold better. I think the SB is just as forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    I don't know....I suck the same no matter the ATA...
    I really only thought about ATA when I shot fingers...
    DITTO......I feel the same way.

"HONDA"

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

What do you all think?
    I feel that the exact draw length is not as critical as on the shorter bow as the longer. It seems to me that there is more true from with the back tension on the longer bows as well. So all that expressed the shorts bows of today are easier to manipulate than the longer models. MY musings. and entirely open to opinion. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

the problem is their draw lengths are too short!

Personally I feel that the longer A2A holds better for me and shoots better. I've pretty much run the gauntlet and I've shot everything from 31" to over 40". The 31 was very difficult for me to hold steady, the longer the A2A got the easier it is to hold... for me at least.

keep in mind I shoot a 30" dl with a bent elbow. I'd probably be shooting 31+ if i shot straight arm so I definitely believe that may have something to do with it.
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    the problem is their draw lengths are too short!

Personally I feel that the longer A2A holds better for me and shoots better. I've pretty much run the gauntlet and I've shot everything from 31" to over 40". The 31 was very difficult for me to hold steady, the longer the A2A got the easier it is to hold... for me at least.

keep in mind I shoot a 30" dl with a bent elbow. I'd probably be shooting 31+ if i shot straight arm so I definitely believe that may have something to do with it.
    you could just learn how to shoot properly......

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    Hows that breeze feel on your bald head?

Be happy that Ed let you walk off that easily. If we would have bet you'd have "DREDLY RULES" shaved into your noggin instead of having it bald
    No I'm not dead

He is getting better he's shooting a Mathews now.

"HONDA"

Hows that breeze feel on your bald head?

Be happy that Ed let you walk off that easily. If we would have bet you'd have "DREDLY RULES" shaved into your noggin instead of having it bald
    what?? I have that written on my a**

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    He is getting better he's shooting a Mathews now.
    Now when I miss my arrows are going to slow that I can actually walk up and move the target so it hits in the X.
    No I'm not dead

Site Guru

what?? I have that written on my a**
    should be we hijacking Chris' thread?
    No I'm not dead

Now when I miss my arrows are going to slow that I can actually walk up and move the target so it hits in the X.
    thats called a polish adjustment........

should be we hijacking Chris' thread?
    he hyjacked mine once i think.......

for release shooters with a string loop I dont think ata is all that important anymore. I believe B.H. might be more important. but when I buy a bow I buy the one with the longer ata. old dogs are hard to teach new tricks

IMHO it's all about how a bow fits an individual archer. The combination of draw length, grip angle, string angle draw weight, mass weight and balance makes for a bow that is comfortable or not.

Everyone is built differently and developed muscle differently. The better archers know what fits them the best and work toward that goal when buying new equipment.

Regarding ATA, string angle seems to be more important than most realize. A while back someone looked at a lot of photos of top competition archers at full draw. Almost of them had the draw length set so that the groove of the nock is directly under the shooters eye and shot bows with an ATA so that there was a 90 degree angle of the string. As expected there were some exceptions, but there were very few that deviated more than a couple of degrees.

This leads to a conclusion that shorter DL archers will shoot better with a shorter ATA bow and visa versa. Obviously there is a lot more to it than this.

So your 27" - 28" shooters probably know what works best for them.

You can never say what works for one person will work for another.
    I have a 28 1/2 " draw and prefer the longer ATA as I find them easier to hold steady and prefer the angle of the string with a small peep... as a shorter ATA puts the peep site at an odd angle for me to see through.

Being a Hoyt shooter, I can't say that XT2000 limbs shoot better or are more forgiving than XT3000 limbs, since I have only shot XT2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    You can never say what works for one person will work for another.
    I have a 28 1/2 " draw and prefer the longer ATA as I find them easier to hold steady and prefer the angle of the string with a small peep... as a shorter ATA puts the peep site at an odd angle for me to see through.

Being a Hoyt shooter, I can't say that XT2000 limbs shoot better or are more forgiving than XT3000 limbs, since I have only shot XT2000.
    they make peeps w/different angles built in......

I have had chats with Javi on AT several times about this subject which I believe is a string angle issue. May DL is 28" and I have a Protec with XT3000 limbs and a Ultra Elite with XT2000 limbs. The string angle of the Ultra Elite fits me better.

Javi told me that he has analyzed pictures of many of the top archers in the world with all different DL's and styles. Almost all have a string angle of 90 +/- 2 degrees.

I think string angle may be the most important spec. for getting a bow that fits you well and none of the companies publish this measurement.

Tracy