You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have had chats with Javi on AT several times about this subject which I believe is a string angle issue. May DL is 28" and I have a Protec with XT3000 limbs and a Ultra Elite with XT2000 limbs. The string angle of the Ultra Elite fits me better.

Javi told me that he has analyzed pictures of many of the top archers in the world with all different DL's and styles. Almost all have a string angle of 90 +/- 2 degrees.

I think string angle may be the most important spec. for getting a bow that fits you well and none of the companies publish this measurement.

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    they make peeps w/different angles built in......
    Yea... I tried that and also a larger peephole does make it easier, I just like having the peep closer to the eye.

But also remember if I admit I can shoot a shorter ATA than I might have to go out and get a Switchback

Hmmm..............I am 29"DL and shoot a 31"ATA SB XT. Maybe I should buy an Ovation and see what happens. Oh crap can someone inform my unit of this.

"HONDA"

I believe that a long axle to axle bow being more forgiving is based on the same concept as using a long stabilizer. If you have ever seen a tight rope walker, you will see him using an extremely long pole. This helps with his balance by slowing down his movement and increasing the weight at his center of gravity.

If you believe a short bow is as forgiving as a long bow, then it would only stand to reason that a short stabilizer "stabilizes" as well as a short one.

I shoot my Ovation shoot far better at 40" than I do my Switchback at 33". When I think I made a bad shot with my Ovation, it is usually still a good one. With my Switchback, if I think I made a bad shot, it is usually worse.
    Last edited by jcmorgan31; 02-26-2007 at 12:53 PM.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I was having a discussion with a couple of shooter that have 27.5-28" draw. Their hoyt shooters and both stated they felt they shot better with XT2000 limbs that XT3000 limbs.

So if Axle-to-Axle is everything than why would this be the case. Now as a disclaimer, I tend to agree with these shooters.

What do you all think?

I believe it depends on what the archer feels fits him or her the best. I like 36 to 38" a/a bows because of the string angle and comfort. My Vulcan feels like a toy compared to my other bows, but its so fun to shoot. The string angle on my Protec XT2000 feels best and it seems more forgiving, I'm only shooting a 27" draw.

I am pretty sure I know which draw length challenged individuals you are talking about there Chris. I think it has to do with how comfortable it is for them. Maybe having a different string angle off the bow at full draw feels best to them. I don't know why but I have this ATA length in my head that I don't want to go under 36" Like dredly said I feel more comfortable and in more control with longer bows
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I am pretty sure I know which draw length challenged individuals you are talking about there Chris. I think it has to do with how comfortable it is for them. Maybe having a different string angle off the bow at full draw feels best to them. I don't know why but I have this ATA length in my head that I don't want to go under 36" Like dredly said I feel more comfortable and in more control with longer bows
    what does he know??? now all of a sudden hes an expert on the subject.....you could just bearly fill a spoon w/dredlys knowledge of archery....
    I cut things up and split them down!

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Brace height.... forgiveness is all about brace height. Arrow has a shorter time on the string thus less time for twitch or torque to take effect.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I believe that a long axle to axle bow being more forgiving is based on the same concept as using a long stabilizer. If you have ever seen a tight rope walker, you will see him using an extremely long pole. This helps with his balance by slowing down his movement and increasing the weight at his center of gravity.

If you believe a short bow is as forgiving as a long bow, then it would only stand to reason that a short stabilizer "stabilizes" as well as a short one.

I shoot my Ovation shoot far better at 40" than I do my Switchback at 33". When I think I made a bad shot with my Ovation, it is usually still a good one. With my Switchback, if I think I made a bad shot, it is usually worse.
    I agree with what your saying to a point. The part that contradicts what you are saying is the fact that most short axle bows have very long risers. This provides more mass weight out toward the ends giving it the same or more balance or stability that a long axle bow would provide.

Now if would could actually factor in the weight or measure it and how far from the handle it is. I wonder if using a method like these we could actually evaluate how stable a short axles long riser bow is compared to a long axle short riser bow.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies