You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello All!

Default Hello All!

I'm new to this forum and to archery altogether.

I have a Martin Firecat with a 36" string and I believe a 34" draw. It's set 2 50 lbs of draw. I have some kind of toxonic sight. I can take pics of all this stuff if need be.

Got 10 carbon fire arrows and began my attempt at archery today.

I was shooting at 25-30 yards and only hit the target most of the time (and it's not small). Guess I've got a lot to learn.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by Billdolfski View Post
    I'm new to this forum and to archery altogether.

I have a Martin Firecat with a 36" string and I believe a 34" draw. It's set 2 50 lbs of draw. I have some kind of toxonic sight. I can take pics of all this stuff if need be.

Got 10 carbon fire arrows and began my attempt at archery today.

I was shooting at 25-30 yards and only hit the target most of the time (and it's not small). Guess I've got a lot to learn.
    Hey fellars it looks like us Martin boys are gonna take over here> Keep on shootin it will come to ya> Go to some shoots and some of the guys will help you out> I have 4 of them Firecats 2 for 3d ,1 for field ,1 for dots . Dem is really smooth shooters. Enjoy it every chance you can afford> and to this place &post up often> Holy Smokes(HS)

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Hey fellars it looks like us Martin boys are gonna take over here> Keep on shootin it will come to ya> Go to some shoots and some of the guys will help you out> I have 4 of them Firecats 2 for 3d ,1 for field ,1 for dots . Dem is really smooth shooters. Enjoy it every chance you can afford> and to this place &post up often> Holy Smokes(HS)
    I just need to get the whole sighting adjustment figured out. It was my first day after all, with no instruction. I have a friend who is going to show how this stuff works. I'll try to find out what kind of sight that is.

EDIT: It's a Toxonic sight that looks like a 1400 (but isn't, it has more adjustable things on it I'm thinking) and some kind of scope. I will take a picture of it for you guys, I don't have the bow stored here.
    Last edited by Billdolfski; 02-28-2007 at 02:17 AM. Reason: dbl post

Sounds like me. I shot for a long time without any extra tips. It also took a long time for me to start to shoot halfway decent. Keep shootin and it will come to you. Archery can be very frustrating, yet so rewarding.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Welcome to the forum. When adjusting your sight, remember to always chase your arrow. If your arrows are landing low of the bullseye, move your sight down. If your arrows are landing right of the bullseye, move your sight to the right.

Do you have a peep sight on your bow?

Get us some pictures of you at full draw or shooting your bow. This will help us know somewhat how you are set up.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Welcome to the forum. When adjusting your sight, remember to always chase your arrow. If your arrows are landing low of the bullseye, move your sight down. If your arrows are landing right of the bullseye, move your sight to the right.

Do you have a peep sight on your bow?

Get us some pictures of you at full draw or shooting your bow. This will help us know somewhat how you are set up.
    I do have a peep, I can do it later (take pictures). I just have to grab my bow, I don't keep much anything valuable in my house.

to the forums. I started shooting when a BF just bought me a bow and started taking me to 3D shoots. I had a little advice but not much. Good luck, you will get so addicted you won't be able to stop.

Hello All! - Beginners Archery Range

Were those pics any kind of helpful?

first letme say welcome.....

I sure hope that bow has some draw length adjustment....as the draw is way too short.....I would say a good 3 inches

and theres no way that thing is 34" unless your 9'5"
    I cut things up and split them down!

I doubt the way the bow is now that you will be able to get it to the proper draw length....

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    I doubt the way the bow is now that you will be able to get it to the proper draw length....

He can't help it that he is a big ol boy> and needs a longer pull back on that bow so that the string will come up to and touch his nose.
    Those are adjustableable cams, You will see three slots where the cable can be moved to another slot. You will need a bowshop to do this for you. Unless you have a bowpress or want to take the bow limbs off, which I do not reccommend. They could be in the longest slot now and THAT WOULD MEAN YOU WILL NEED TO GET DIFFERENT CAMS OR ANOTHER BOW WHICH WILL BE THE BEST THING TO DO IN YOUR CASE. LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT . HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

first letme say welcome.....

I sure hope that bow has some draw length adjustment....as the draw is way too short.....I would say a good 3 inches

and theres no way that thing is 34" unless your 9'5"
    Yes welcome to the forum and the sport...

I agree your DL is too short...are you going to shoot fingers??
    It also looks like you need to bend your bow arm abit and raise it up so that your shoulders are squared up...Form is gonna be the killer for you...you just have to keep practicing until it's a reflex...

Also I would suggest moving closer to the target for sighting in, like 10 yards...less chance of missing...then it's just follow the arrow like Chris said...

Stick with it, ask alot of questions...we all went through it and we can help you...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Yes welcome to the forum and the sport...

I agree your DL is too short...are you going to shoot fingers??
    It also looks like you need to bend your bow arm abit and raise it up so that your shoulders are squared up...Form is gonna be the killer for you...you just have to keep practicing until it's a reflex...

Also I would suggest moving closer to the target for sighting in, like 10 yards...less chance of missing...then it's just follow the arrow like Chris said...

Stick with it, ask alot of questions...we all went through it and we can help you...

I believe those "wheel thingies" (pullies) are adjustable by 1" a piece, so I think I might be able to get some more draw out of it. I don't shoot it by hand, I just did that for the sake of the pics... I'm not that good with the "clickie-trigger-thingee" yet and I didn't want to dryfire it.

I'm sure I'll need a bigger bow one of these days, but I got that bow set up to shoot for less $20 and a set of arrows.

One of my best friend's late father was a competitive shooter, that's where I got the bow. I'm much bigger than they are. Also, nobody has shown me proper form yet so I don't know how to shoot. My buddy will show me when he gets back in town. Thx for all the advice though!!!

I talked to the local archery guy and he said that me might be able to get some more draw out of the bow. I'm going to take it to him next week when I drop some money off (I have a SIG on layaway there).

I was also told you get a longer draw when you use a release, which I do... I just didn't for the pictures cause I didn't have it with me.

Thx again for the constructive critcism/help everyone!

I took it to a diff guy, the cog/pully/thingees were already maxed out, so he used a longer string and added a hoop/loop (for my release) that should all add to my draw.

I hope that makes sense, I'm a big noob.

(he gave me some pointers on my subpar stance as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Billdolfski View Post
    I took it to a diff guy, the cog/pully/thingees were already maxed out, so he used a longer string and added a hoop/loop (for my release) that should all add to my draw.

I hope that makes sense, I'm a big noob.

(he gave me some pointers on my subpar stance as well)
    he used a longer string? How much longer?

he chris do you ever short string or long string a bow???

Site Guru

he used a longer string? How much longer?

he chris do you ever short string or long string a bow???
    You should never longstring or shortstring more then 1/2 an inch at max! thats just dangerous and adding a loop isn't really going to help much as its like splitting your leg to fix a bullet wound in your arm.

Wihout adding a good 3 inches of DL your going to have lots of trouble. Call Martin, they can get you the correct cams (the wheel things) and give you some other good info.

Just curious, how tall are you? I'd be surprised if you have more then a 30" DL
    No I'm not dead

6'1"

I do a little boxing and supposedly my reach is a little long for my height.