You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default 3D Archery Benefit Shoot Advice from fellow Archers

Hi! I am an avid bow hunter and fellow 3d archer. My wife and I are also members of the Birmingham Jaycees. Currently, we are oraganizing a 3D archery Benefit shoot for our chapter. This past year we lost our biggest fund raiser. Running an archery shoot is new for our chapter. We have very limted resources and are attempting to get sponsoship for our shoot.
    Thus far we have met with a local outdoor store that is very well known in Birmingham. The owner said he would consider sponsoring us if
    we change the date from Sept 10th and 11th to Oct 8th. He also wants us to run it as a 1 day instead of 2 and give him a # of participants.
    In my experience a 2 day shoot is better. Also, coming up with a # of participants, even with pre registration, will be quite difficult. I do not think he know much about archery shoots. He did say we can set up a booth at the big sale she has at his store on Sept 10th and he would probably be helpful with advertisement. We think that OCt is too late for the shoot. Please give your thoughts on the date. We think we should contiune to contact other outdoor stores and bow manufacturers, kep them in ,mind
    Also, we want this shhot to be successful. What type of shooters prizes would you expect at a benefit shoot. If we raffled a hoyt or bowtch bow for mene and women would that entice you to coming? (if it were in your area).
    It is to be held at Howard Hill Archery Club in Wilsonville Alabama.

For info on the Birmingham Jacees please see our website www.bhamjaycees.org.

Please give advise on items listed above.

Thanks!

Banned

Default 3D Shoot Fundraisers

lbarcher-

i've put on several 3D shoot fundraisers for the charity I'm involved with and while it is great to want to major bow manufacturers involved, it is very difficult to get anything donated from them, at the minimum it would cost you $250 for a 2005 bow (Bowtech has this program, you will need to fax paperwork to them), I got a Hoyt thru a local pro at just under dealer cost. It doesn't sound like much but if you're turnout is less than spectacular it eats into the money you're trying to raise before advertising and mailers.

If you're looking for doorprizes give your smaller mfgrs a call, like Trophy Taker, SVL, Rocket Aeroheads, Wildlife Research, Carter, Muzzy, etc. All of these companies have donated items to me in the past. Also don't be afraid to contact the local Home Depots, Wal-marts, Gander Mountains etc as they have a budget for this and the local mgr can approve.

IMHO, Oct is way to late to hold a 3D as it is mostly likely hunting season and people are not going to take time away from that to shoot a 3D shoot. I think 2 day Sept shoot advertised as Bowhunting Warm-up would be the way to go.

Also you got to remember that most people will come to this event to shoot it and not to win a prize, so if you have 5 or 50 prizes most people will not care. I would probably opt for a 50/50 cash raffle to be given away instead, helps you raise a little extra cash and it is a broader appeal to people outside of archery.

Also think of novelty shoots, last year we held a shoot at Beloit Field Archers and we had a pop-up target range as well as a long distance shoot, for a couple of bucks you got to do both.

Hope this helps.

Last summer we set up a 3D shoot to benefit hunters with disabilities. All the procedes were used to pay for special hunts for these hunters with disabilities. This shoot was sponsered by Missouriwhitetails.com and the 3d range and targets were donated for the day by "In The Sticks Archery".

Members of the website worked on door prize donations from archery shops and dealers all over the state and we even had an Outfitter donate a 3 day combo turkey/deer hunt. If your going to offer trophys to those that place, make them unique, ours were 14 inch arrowheads plaques and were very inexpensive. But everyone that saw them wanted one.

A long shoot with at least a 40/60 cash payback is almost a must. 3 arrows for a dollar and 40% of the take is paid back to the winner. This is fun and a great way to keep the intrest of the shooters while others are finishing the course. The key is to keep the people at the shoot for the duration of the day, so the specialty shoots are important. The longer they stay, the more $$ they spend.

October is alful late to be holding a benefit shoot, I would suggest late May or early June, not too cool and not too hot. Alot of work is involved in setting one up, be presistant and it also helps to make people aware what the $$ collected is going to be used for. There are alot of very generous archers out there. Good Luck

MoBowman ```---------->
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On