You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blazers vs Quickspins

Hey all,

Long time archer first time poster. I have been shooting 3d on my own for about 5 years as a hobby on and off. Finally, after moving to Tennessee from South Florida a few years ago and making some new archery aquaintences and giving in to archerer peer pressure I have decided to enter some local shoots. I shoot a Hoyt Magnatec Redline HO bow that I built myslef when at a Hoyt Dealer Training Seminar and I have been married to it ever since. It has been a fast, accurate and VERY consistent shooter for me. I have it setup to shoot carbons and it does so very well with standard 4" vanes (nothing special) and I of course shoot release. Together with a Toxonics 3 pin sight (20, 30, and 40), NAP Quicktune 3000, no stabilizer I shoot tight groups at all three distances above. This brings me to my next dillema....

I always swore that when I did decide to make the cross over into some comptetitive shoots that I would get more serious with my choice of vanes. Breaking my laxidasical "I will take what vanes I can get" theory, I have spent alot of time looking and reading about Quick Spin vanes. Of course amidst all the positive comments about these vanes the only negative I have found so far is the lack or durability when it comes to these vanes. Still, after dropping my bow off at my local shop for its spring check up I entered the conversation of Quick Spin vanes. They told me it was a good choice but recommended I should speak to the tech who was away at a ASA shoot (first time using this shop as the other guy I used when I moved to TN closed shop a few months ago). I went in to speak with the tech today and after an hour of conversation I ended up having him re-vane 6 of my carbon arrows. 3 would be vane'd with 2.25" Quick Spins while the other 3 would be with 2" Blazers. He watched me shoot and was impressed with my form and lack of control without a stabilizer and told me that both would be great choices and because my groups were already tight either would be step ups from my standard vanes. He is a big Blazer fan although he shoots Quick Spins on his field arrows. His vote is that I go with Blazers due only to the durability factor. With all this being said and because after reading the posts from all of you and appreciating the input you have offered others I am curious to see what you all have to say about...

1) Blazers vs Quick Spins (Your experiences if you have either of them or just your thoughts).
    2) Are any you aware of what the rated speeds are out of the Magnatec? He said something that Hoyt rates the bows 5gr speed at 306-311fps.
    3) Any of the above and what the tech had to offer. Of course any other critiques I should consider upon embarking on my new adventure.

One more thing.. I can be a bit winded at times... so I just wanted to warn you all. Also, I am excited about getting to know you all and this board so I hope I am welcome...

Looking forward to your comments,
    ~Byte~
    Last edited by ByteMe; 03-06-2007 at 12:18 AM.
    Hoyt Magnatec Redline HO
    DW 65#
    DL 27"
    Toxonics 3 pin sight
    NAP Quicktune 3000
    26" Carbon Express Sidewinder 60's 324gr

"Bringing back the smack... one post at a time!!"

"You can lead, follow or just get the hell outta my way!!"

Hello and Both seem to be popular choices for vanes, i use the 2.25 qspins on my fatboys for indoor spots, and 3d, both indoor and out and likem alot, infact i just orderd 6 doz more of them last night, i havent had any problems with them holding up. But every now and then one will get whacked and get a rip in it, i have 2 arrows with 1 vane thats got whacked.... still shoot fine and group right with the rest. I have heard good things about the blazers also, and have freinds who use them and likem, i guess i really couldnt tell you what ones are the best, as i have not really heard anything bad about either....as far as your bow shooting 300fps, its all good as long as your are ibo leagel, you will want 5 grains of arrow weight for every # of draw weight, also, some feild and 3d shoots may have a rule that you cannot shoot over 280 fps. so id do some research on that. Hope this helps!!

Blazers all the way!! I shot Quick Spins for quite a while and loved them w/ field points but when I switched to broad heads they didn't fly as good as I had hoped. I then tried Blazers and was pleasantly surprised! They are awesome to say the least. They group better than any other vane I have shot Field pt.or BH. Try them and you will be sold.

Bullspotter and Buckeye Red, thank you for the Welcome and comments.

Bullspotter -- "...you will want 5 grains of arrow weight for every # of draw weight...." So am I to understand that per your above comment that @ 65# of draw weight my arrow weight will be 325 Grains? Math happens to be my worst subject so I would appreciate any further elaboration on this that would help me understand better. Especially the relationship the above equation has on IBO arrow speeds. I hope that I am making sense... as at 1a CST things STOP making sense..

Buckeye Red -- That is what the dude at the pro-shop said which is why he is vaning me 3 QS and 3 Blazers. Do you also shoot your blazers in 3d? If so what has your experience been there as well?

Thanks guys for your initial comments Hope to hear more from the masses on this.

~Byte~
    Hoyt Magnatec Redline HO
    DW 65#
    DL 27"
    Toxonics 3 pin sight
    NAP Quicktune 3000

Quote Originally Posted by ByteMe View Post
    Buckeye Red -- That is what the dude at the pro-shop said which is why he is vaning me 3 QS and 3 Blazers. Do you also shoot your blazers in 3d? If so what has your experience been there as well?

Thanks guys for your initial comments Hope to hear more from the masses on this.

~Byte~
    ByteMe, I shoot blazers w/ my A/C/C's and My 30 X Pro's. 3D X Pro's are what I use for both 3D and 300 and hunting for that matter the Blazers work flawlessly. I have given up on 4" vanes, Blazers are the way to go bud. give em a try and you won't be sorry.

ByteMe I used to shoot 4 inch vanes to. I switched to blazers and will never go to anything else. I was skeptical at first and asked the local archery pro here in Tampa and he recomended the blazers. He said a few guys got the quickspins and then ended up switching to the blazers. The durability is unmatched to anyother vane. I have a block target where the arrows constantly blow through it and the vanes arn't wavy and look just like they have when I bought them. I need to replace the wraps on the arrows but the vanes are still perfect. I had two pass throughs on hog with no damage. I would recomend them to anybody.

I used Q-spins for a while. One thing I noticed is that they make noise, a lot more noise than arrows with Blazers on them. I primarily hunt and fool around with 3D and thought Blazers would be a good choice. They group well and I still use them now. And I agree with slamdam, they are extremely durable.

Welcome !

Ron

to the forum ByteMe glad to have you with us. Very good adivise above Blazers absolutely rock and are second to none. Also definately stay above the 5gpp rating and yes if your bow draw weight is 65# then keep your arrow weight at or above 325gr. The lower you go the more stress you put on your bow. IBO speeds are calculated at 70#DW 30"DL 350gr arrow with nothing on the string. Good luck and if you have any other questions please post them up and we will try to answer them as accurately as possible.

"HONDA"

My vote is for which ever works best for you......

I like both......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    My vote is for which ever works best for you......

I like both......
    Yeah, if I decide to set up a target bow I'll probably use Q-Spins... I'm not sure Blazers are legal anyway. I have to find that out.

Ron

When I decided to change fletchings I talked to the local dealer. He said that they did quick spins for about 40 people two years ago and only four of them are still using them. I don't have experience with them, but the blazers shoot very accurately for me. I did notice that they shoot about 3/4" @ 20yrds and about 2" @ 40 yrds higher than my four inch vanes.

I'm fairly new to both the forum and archery but I'll attempt to answer your question on arrow weight. For safety reasons you should shoot an arrow with a total weight of at least 5 grains per pound of pull on your bow. IE a bow shooting at 60lbs should be shooting at least a 300grn arrow, and one at 70lbs should be shooting a 350grn arrow. Shooting heavier is ok, and sometimes recomended for penetration while hunting, but shooting lighter brings you closer and closer to dryfireing your bow and may cause damage and safety issues as well as void your warenty.
    Martin Orion,26"DL,61#,366grn GT Exp. Hunters,100grn tips, 233fps, Scott mongoose release, STS, Alpine whisperflite drowaway rest, Sword micro apex 5 pin sight, and lots of limb saver add ons

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
    Blazers all the way!! I shot Quick Spins for quite a while and loved them w/ field points but when I switched to broad heads they didn't fly as good as I had hoped. I then tried Blazers and was pleasantly surprised! They are awesome to say the least. They group better than any other vane I have shot Field pt.or BH. Try them and you will be sold.
    my experience exactly! quikspins are nice, but i really like the blazers.
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

Default Unofficial Results So Far and Thanks!!

All,

First I wanted to extend many thanks for the advise and thoughts on this topic. Although, I must say that with over 5000 posts so far I really was anxious to hear what Bowman had to say. I for some reason, find myself interested in his points of view and was anxious to see what his thoughts/experience on the topic was. Am I feeling ok? LOL No offense Bowman.. its all good!!! Thanks for at least taking the time to stop by and leave a note.

Now on to what you all have been waiting for. SO.... Got my bow back tuned and rarin' to go. 6 Arrows, 3 with quick spins and 3 with blazers. Shot the quickspins at 20, 30 and 40. Groups were tight speed was and performance was as expected. Shot the blazers, and well... would you believe I had the same tight groups at 20, 30, and 40! My tech was impressed he thought for sure he would see the Quick Spins at tighter groups. There is one notable difference. It was a windy day at the outdoor range and I found that the Quickspins did better for accuracy at the longer distances with the wind as a factor than the Blazers.

Based on the above results and what you all have said, I am starting to lean towards the Blazers. First, I like the durability I took one vane of the Blazers and One vane of the Quick spins out of the box and completely yanked pulled and twisted. The Quick Spin vane was all tore up and EASILY to. However, the Blazer wasnt out of shape in any way. It took its mangling like a man and challenged me to come back for more!!! Second, since I really do not see myself shooting out at long distances in the wind and because I can make adjustments if need be I dont think I am gaining much from the Quick Spins to justify the cost. I am going to do some more shooting with both, of course, before I make my final decision... But for those who care... The Blazers seem to be where I may go.

Any further questions or comments are welcome as I am going to be testing these for a few more weeks and if you all have anything that you would like me to bench test for you or any ideas feel free to post and I gladly give it a go and post results.

Again, thanks to all for your comments and yes to you too Bowman. I look forward to having some fun in the Bowman 300.

Laters,
    ~Byte~
    Hoyt Magnatec Redline HO
    DW 65#
    DL 27"
    Toxonics 3 pin sight
    NAP Quicktune 3000

Glad to hear you are trying both out to see which one works best for you. Keep us posted.

"HONDA"

Default You Bet!

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Glad to hear you are trying both out to see which one works best for you. Keep us posted.
    I will guess my scores in the Bowman 300 will be the tell all. I am shootin' Quick Spins the first round (this week). I will shoot Blazers the next round (week after). I will post results.

Laters,
    ~Byte~
    Hoyt Magnatec Redline HO
    DW 65#
    DL 27"
    Toxonics 3 pin sight
    NAP Quicktune 3000

Quote Originally Posted by ByteMe View Post
    I will guess my scores in the Bowman 300 will be the tell all. I am shootin' Quick Spins the first round (this week). I will shoot Blazers the next round (week after). I will post results.

Laters,
    ~Byte~
    real world trials, I like it.........
    I cut things up and split them down!

Talking

BLAZERS! are way better if you like to shoot a lot. 3D'ers love them around here in Michigan.

Default Quick Spin -- First Round Results...

Alright,

So today was my first experience with the Quick Spins. I did have some tweaking on my site to account for before-hand. My tech warned me about that so I came prepared. After sighting in I did notice that the groups were considerably tighter. Flight was straight and smooth and they seemed to be very fast on the way to the target. Outside, I didnt notice any noise from them in flight. Then again, all those years of loud music might have helped muffle any arrow noise. My scores were as follows:

48 48 46 43 44 44=273

Now mind you this is the first time that I have ever shot at NFAA 5 Spots under these rules. Usually, its just casual shooting for me. I was anticipating alot and found that towards the end I was getting more arm shake than normal so keeping the pin on spot was harder and I found myself to busy focusing on the pin than where I wanted the arrow to go.

To be fair I am gonna give myself two more practice rounds and one official round before I switch to Blazers. Then I will follow the same 3 Practice and 1 official with Blazers. Yes I will be posting my results. So far the Quick Spins shoot wonderfully I dont have any complaints other than beating myslef up on my technique/form.

Laters,
    ~Byte~
    Hoyt Magnatec Redline HO
    DW 65#
    DL 27"
    Toxonics 3 pin sight
    NAP Quicktune 3000

Thumbs up The OFFICIAL Results -- Blazers Win!!!!

Well all,

My days of field testing Quick Spins came to a screeching halt today, so read on and feel free to comment.

It all started today when I began some practice shots; 3 at a time. First 3 were ok, second 3 bad. My groups were soooo tight that I ended up ripping a vane. I was miffed to say the least.

My thoughts are that if the Quick Spin vane is sooo delicate that it cannot withstand tight groups it is not the vane for me. Where I like to think I do well for myself, unfortunately I do not have unlimited funds to re-vane arrows frequently due to tight groups or a shot through a well used bloc.

On that note, I moved over to the Blazers earlier than I planned. After readjusting my sights, all I can say is…. WOW!!! These arrows stuck to the 10 ring. Even in tight groups they were not phased at a all. At one point I shot a weak spot in the center of the bloc and the arrow went all the way through. The vanes were’nt phased in the least.

I can now see why you all are Blazer fans. Not only do they group, in my opinion as good if not better than the Quick Spins but they can take a beating and keep on ticking. After my practice round thankfully, my shop is open on Sundays, I dropped the 3 Quick Spins (2 still in ok shape 1 with a vane ripped off) and the remainder of my arrows off to be re-vaned with 2” Blazers.

My official vote in the Blazers vs Quick Spins debate is Blazers. This is based on real world tests and based on durability and performance. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to ask as I gave 110% in providing you all with accurate accounts of my experience in an effort to help you all choose the best vanes for your arrows. I still like Quick Spins they group wonderfully it is just the lack of durability makes them a not so good choice. I mean if you have the resources to poney up funds regularly to re-vane due to tight groups or shoot throughs or simply if you are obsessively cautious with your arrows; then yes they are still a wonderful arrow and perform as their write ups indicate. I hope this helps.

Later,
    ~Byte~
    Hoyt Magnatec Redline HO
    DW 65#
    DL 27"
    Toxonics 3 pin sight
    NAP Quicktune 3000