You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Newbie!

Default Newbie!

Hey guys. well for the last month or so I have been watching the threads and posts and i fell in love with this site. I love the look of a freshly killed deer and i love the taste of venison..now here is the catch 22 part of it all. I hav never been hunting in my life and I am 19. In about a month or so i should be recieving a hand made 62" longbow. it is made out of wood and is about $900 but i am getting it for about $400 thourgh a good freind. Now this summer i plan on going hunting and was wondering what i should do to prepare for it, what i should bring, and any tips that you guys use or would like to pass on to me. thanks alot and i hope to become a regular poster here as i chekc the site at least 5-6 times a day lol

Site Guru

I'd be glad to help:

step 1: Get good at shooting (step 1)

step 2: go to step 1
    No I'm not dead

Default advise

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I'd be glad to help:

step 1: Get good at shooting (step 1)

step 2: go to step 1
    step:3 buy plenty cheeeeep arrow's first, & with a longbow your first time,
    a really big target.

step:4 save more money it is a really expensive sport.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    step:3 buy plenty cheeeeep arrow's first, & with a longbow your first time,
    a really big target.

step:4 save more money it is a really expensive sport.
    step:5 when you get the bow limit your self to one dose of this site per day or you will never gat good at Step 1
    I cut things up and split them down!

Being accurate with your bow is very important, but there is a lot more. Learn deer anatomy and learn where to shoot on the deers body. Get books and talk to bowhunters and learn deer behavior so you know when to shoot at a deer and where they can be found. Get gear,have fun.
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATE View Post
    Being accurate with your bow is very important, but there is a lot more. Learn deer anatomy and learn where to shoot on the deers body. Get books and talk to bowhunters and learn deer behavior so you know when to shoot at a deer and where they can be found. Get gear,have fun.
    amongnst us .
    Hey See if they have a International Bowhunter Education Program near you. i was a master Instructor with this great organization for 10 yrs. It will be one of the best training you will find anywhere>

One question for you fellars up there. I hear a lost about Upsate and the best I can make out of it is that it is like being from the south> Teeheeeeeheeee.HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

One question for you fellars up there. I hear a lost about Upsate and the best I can make out of it is that it is like being from the south> Teeheeeeeheeee.HS

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson

Site Guru

I just want it clear that I am NOT from downstate New York
    hence the name 'upstate'?
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Hey guys. well for the last month or so I have been watching the threads and posts and i fell in love with this site. I love the look of a freshly killed deer and i love the taste of venison..now here is the catch 22 part of it all. I hav never been hunting in my life and I am 19. In about a month or so i should be recieving a hand made 62" longbow. it is made out of wood and is about $900 but i am getting it for about $400 thourgh a good freind. Now this summer i plan on going hunting and was wondering what i should do to prepare for it, what i should bring, and any tips that you guys use or would like to pass on to me. thanks alot and i hope to become a regular poster here as i chekc the site at least 5-6 times a day lol
    to the forum glad to have you with us. It is very rewarding when standing over a harvested animal. Knowing you practiced and became proficient with a bow. And studied the animal well enough to make a properly placed shot on it. And have trained your body and mind enough to be able to get inside bow range without alerting the deer to your presence. It is a total rush to be successful at bowhunting. Good luck and remember there is more to bowhunting than just being able to shoot a bow accurately but accuracy is a number one priority to ethical bowhunting. Wounding an animal is the last thing we would want to do so do not take the shot unless you are certain you can make it. I know bad things sometimes happen and we do not recover our animal but we must learn when to take the shot and when not to. Again WELCOME to the wonderful world of Bowhunting.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    to the forum glad to have you with us. It is very rewarding when standing over a harvested animal. Knowing you practiced and became proficient with a bow. And studied the animal well enough to make a properly placed shot on it. And have trained your body and mind enough to be able to get inside bow range without alerting the deer to your presence. It is a total rush to be successful at bowhunting. Good luck and remember there is more to bowhunting than just being able to shoot a bow accurately but accuracy is a number one priority to ethical bowhunting. Wounding an animal is the last thing we would want to do so do not take the shot unless you are certain you can make it. I know bad things sometimes happen and we do not recover our animal but we must learn when to take the shot and when not to. Again WELCOME to the wonderful world of Bowhunting.

Very, Very well said BowhuntnHoosier!!!!

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

I was also wondering what i should do to condition or train my body to get in shape for the season? What do you guys do to train or get back in shape for hunting season.

Default in shape

I was also wondering what i should do to condition or train my body to get in shape for the season? What do you guys do to train or get back in shape for hunting season.
    Im far from being in shape @ 6'&250 but i can tell you how to get there cause ive been told i can hang with the best of them.
    one way & this will really help you is stump shootin.
    get you some Judo point's putem on your arrow's,go to a public game preserve or piece of property,& shoot mound's of dirt,mushroom's,old stump's or anything,these head's are great on small-game to,rabbit's,wood'srat's'etc.
    walk around and practice first ,also work with a climbing treestand it will get you in shape.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Sorry you will have to talk to someone else about this one. I do play golf though and do a little hiking through the woods all year long.

"HONDA"

I'm 49 now. when I was younger getting in shape was never an issue ,I led an active lifestyle and was always in shape. Actually bow hunting is not very strenuous. Placing fixed treestands and dragging deer long distances can be a workout though. I suggest having several treestands already in place and quietly getting into them without breaking a sweat. Take your time taking deer out and enjoy the moment.

Since I'm a litle older now I like to run a couple miles a couple of times a week so I don't embarrass myself if I get a big one.
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

I'm 49 now. when I was younger getting in shape was never an issue ,I led an active lifestyle and was always in shape. Actually bow hunting is not very strenuous. Placing fixed treestands and dragging deer long distances can be a workout though. I suggest having several treestands already in place and quietly getting into them without breaking a sweat. Take your time taking deer out and enjoy the moment.

Since I'm a litle older now I like to run a couple miles a couple of times a week so I don't embarrass myself if I get a big one.
    uhhhh bowhunting is not strenuous??? well pry not for all of use, but try back packing a few hundred pounds of elk meat out on a pack frame, 3 or so miles in 80+ degree heat. if you got 3 guys, it will take 2 trips if its a good bull. and if their is 2 guys, its 3 trips, thats about a 12 hour day right their. Ill tell ya, 1/2 way back to the truck with the 2nd load, you cant feel your legs, your knees are shakin and you really are wondering why the hell you shot that thing. A few times that 3rd trip has been the most challanging phisical hard work i have ever done in my life, but i owe it to the animal to not let the meat spoil. So i will do what it takes...... I do alot of things to get ready for bow season. 1st i do alot of hiking in the areas i hunt,as i am scouting. Do alot of steretching exercises with my legs, to keep them limber and well streched out. Ill also load up my pack frame and carry some weight just to get usto caring a load. if your going to use a pack frame, be sure you have a proper fitting one, and know how to load the weight, it will ba alot less stress on your body. And its way easyer to pack it then to drag it. Now if its you and a buddy just going deer hunting and your 1/2 mile from the truck, you pry dont need to get to wild, but the better shape your in, the less strees it will be, and you wont hurt so bad the next day. also keep yourself well hydrated!!

BULLSPOTTER

That does sound brutal and would probably kill me. I'm sure a sweet labor none the less. I've never been Elk hunting but have heard that 4 wheelers are off limits so hunters use horses or of course your DIY method.

Our average dressed deer weighs about as much as one of your backpacks full and the drag is usually less than a couple hundred yards - hopefully down hill. I use 4 wheelers to get them out when I can.

I get in shape durning preseason, scouting and setting uo stands. Durning the season I usually gain weight, slowly sneaking in; then having beers and chicken wings celebrating the frequent kills. Bowseason is basically a 2 month party. Relaxing with friends and seeing who can whip up the best venison dish . Good living !
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

Just listening to you bullspotter has made my back and legs hurt. But I would love to go elk hunting.

"HONDA"