You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default GF loaded for bear.

Wow..now I have an issue I don't know how to fix. My gf wants to go hunting for large game this year. Not deer and antelope but truly large game. Elk, moose, and someday buffalo and bear. Currently she's shooting a browning micro adrenaline and lets face it, deer is the most this bow can kill with a whopping 250fps IBO. She's currently shooting a 350grn arrow a whopping 201fps. And I don't see any way to get the micro adrenaline up into the elk league and honestly think deer is it's absolute limit. With her 24" draw we are limited in bow options for an upgrade. We are considering things like the vulcan because of it's speed and with 60lbs limbs at 24" this sounds like a good option. Would any of the low end bows be able to get the speed she needs at her short DL to produce enough energy to penetrate these tough animals? Fred bear instinct, mathews ignition, apex7 perhaps or is the vulcan pretty much the fastest in her DL? I'm not a speed freak, but with her short DL speed is needed or am I wrong and the micro will handle this tough game? Thanks again for the input.
    Martin Orion,26"DL,61#,366grn GT Exp. Hunters,100grn tips, 233fps, Scott mongoose release, STS, Alpine whisperflite drowaway rest, Sword micro apex 5 pin sight, and lots of limb saver add ons

Site Guru

has she gone hunting before? Starting out with Elk and Bear.. uhhh not a good idea

also - your arrow is WAY to heavy. 350 is IBO for 70 pound draw. she should be able to get much much lighter which will increase her speed quite a bit.

Save up there are some bows out that get the speed you are looking for. The Bowtech Equalizer should fit the bill (assuming you have the bills to drop on it)
    No I'm not dead

Default elk/bear

Quote Originally Posted by n2t View Post
    Wow..now I have an issue I don't know how to fix. My gf wants to go hunting for large game this year. Not deer and antelope but truly large game. Elk, moose, and someday buffalo and bear. Currently she's shooting a browning micro adrenaline and lets face it, deer is the most this bow can kill with a whopping 250fps IBO. She's currently shooting a 350grn arrow a whopping 201fps. And I don't see any way to get the micro adrenaline up into the elk league and honestly think deer is it's absolute limit. With her 24" draw we are limited in bow options for an upgrade. We are considering things like the vulcan because of it's speed and with 60lbs limbs at 24" this sounds like a good option. Would any of the low end bows be able to get the speed she needs at her short DL to produce enough energy to penetrate these tough animals? Fred bear instinct, mathews ignition, apex7 perhaps or is the vulcan pretty much the fastest in her DL? I'm not a speed freak, but with her short DL speed is needed or am I wrong and the micro will handle this tough game? Thanks again for the input.
    Hi,there
    elk& bear shouldnt be a problem with this setup if you let her use a lead cutting edge broadhead like a titan or something just for cutting not for punch-power,a friend hunted elk killed 3 with a blackwidow 64lb.satllight-titan's,29in.189fps.I wouldnt try this on moose or buff,way to big.
    but ha! fred bear did. good luck.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

She's never hunted before but we plan on going out of antelope first this year and see how that goes, if it goes well we may graduate to deer and if that goes well who knows either fall or spring bear may be in the cards. Idk though she seems pretty under bowed. I'm going to try to talk her into getting new arrows (the nuggents are to heavy for a 55lbs bow but she thought they were "pretty") I figure if I can get her arrows down to 250-300grns we may pic up a little bit of speed. But even for deer she's only getting around 30ftlbs of KE....idk..this is really light.
    Martin Orion,26"DL,61#,366grn GT Exp. Hunters,100grn tips, 233fps, Scott mongoose release, STS, Alpine whisperflite drowaway rest, Sword micro apex 5 pin sight, and lots of limb saver add ons

Site Guru

Just a suggestion... take her out for tree rats or similar varmint first with a .22 its always cool to think about hunting but its a lot of sitting around bored and then being able to pull the trigger then the time is right.
    No I'm not dead

She's shot alot, tree rats, starlings, english sparrows, coyotes, ground squirls, and rabbits will all be coming before actual large game.