You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Wheely Threads Wheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,602

    Default Arrows too heavy?

    I want to turn the weight back down on my bow, cuz I am tiring out to fast, I know the arrows I am shooting work with my draw weight at 46 and up, but I want to go down to 40-43#'s. can I still shoot the same arrows or do I need to get new ones?

  2. #2
    #1 THREAD KILLER Pinwheel1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    at your course..taking your money
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    Sure can!!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

  3. #3
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    I want to turn the weight back down on my bow, cuz I am tiring out to fast, I know the arrows I am shooting work with my draw weight at 46 and up, but I want to go down to 40-43#'s. can I still shoot the same arrows or do I need to get new ones?
    A heavier arrow will not hurt your bow. Just have to watch your arrow spine.


    "HONDA"

  4. #4
    Senior Member longcut36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    3,600

    Default

    I would give it a try. I think they will still fly OK. BUT, if they dont I would try some heavier points before I bought more arrows. also if the arrows you have now are long enough, you could cut some off them to give you more spline. but if you are like me, you will buy some and over a period of time have arrows laying around ever were.

  5. #5
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    I would give it a try. I think they will still fly OK. BUT, if they dont I would try some heavier points before I bought more arrows. also if the arrows you have now are long enough, you could cut some off them to give you more spline. but if you are like me, you will buy some and over a period of time have arrows laying around ever were.
    if your lowering the poundage you dont want STIFFER spine
    I cut things up and split them down!

  6. #6
    Senior Member longcut36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    3,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    if your lowering the poundage you dont want STIFFER spine
    hey your right. dont cut them off. use heavier tips. sorry havent had my 3rd cup of coffee yet. thanks bowman

  7. #7
    Senior Member longcut36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    3,600

    Default

    this day light saving time has really got me messed up. sorry, thats the best excuse I can come up with

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    I would still shoot the same arrows, as long as you are planning on getting back to the 46# DW.
    IMO, if you are shooting a release, the spine is not a huge factor and in some cases a stiffer spine will shoot better out of a bow.

    The one factor that you will notice is by decreasing your poundage of your bow and keeping the same weighted arrow, is your shooting arc will increase.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Middletown, Pa
    Posts
    812

    Default

    Going from 46# to about 43# isn't going to make that much of a difference in arrow flight. Yeh, you'll lose about 8 fps and you may have to do a little tweaking in the tuning department, but it shouldn't be too radical. You may even get lucky and not have to do anything but shoot. Depending on your shooting ability you may not see any difference except in your arms and shoulders, and that's what you're trying to accomplish.

  10. #10
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Going from 46# to about 43# isn't going to make that much of a difference in arrow flight. Yeh, you'll lose about 8 fps and you may have to do a little tweaking in the tuning department, but it shouldn't be too radical. You may even get lucky and not have to do anything but shoot. Depending on your shooting ability you may not see any difference except in your arms and shoulders, and that's what you're trying to accomplish.
    and there you go, see I knew one of us knew something.......what this guy said....
    I cut things up and split them down!

  11. #11
    Wheely Threads Wheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,602

    Default

    sounds great, I figured while I am getting the new string, cables, peep, cable slide, I might as well change the poundage too, to something more comfortable and less stressful. Glad to hear I don't have to change the arrows. I do have some aluminums, they are Easton 2013 Superlite XX75 Camo Hunters. They are 27 inches. Can you tell me if they will work better than the carbons at 43#? Maybe they are similar to the carbons, not sure

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,403

    Default Alum vs. carbon

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    sounds great, I figured while I am getting the new string, cables, peep, cable slide, I might as well change the poundage too, to something more comfortable and less stressful. Glad to hear I don't have to change the arrows. I do have some aluminums, they are Easton 2013 Superlite XX75 Camo Hunters. They are 27 inches. Can you tell me if they will work better than the carbons at 43#? Maybe they are similar to the carbons, not sure
    It would be hard to say if carbon arrows will shoot or work better for your bow. It's a debate, which are better --- Alums or carbons, since you will have fans for both... it all comes down to your preference. There are positives and negatives for all arrows. Picking the right arrow for your bow can sometimes be as difficult as picking the right bow for the shooter.
    The best way to find out is trial and error.

Similar Threads

  1. light vs heavy arrows
    By upnorth in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 04:24 PM
  2. heavy pull= shoulder problems
    By 62flint in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 10:48 AM
  3. heavy rain
    By silverado mike in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 09:06 PM
  4. Wtb Carter Target 4 W/ Heavy Springs
    By Freak Nasty in forum Archery Equipment Accessories - Buy Sell Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 01:18 PM
  5. Heavy enough arrows for elk hunting??
    By TxBowhunter05 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •