You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default HELP! Release Problem...

Here's my problem...
    When I hit my release, sometimes it's seconds before the string is free to leave the release. My husband, son and I are new to the sport...we have been to two 3D shoots and can't wait to go again. But I gotta get my problem fixed, this past weekend it scared me to death when I pulled my string, hit the release and nothing happened for EVER. I kept my bow/arrow pointing at the target until the string was finally released.
    Is it the release, I'm not against purchasing a better/new one. My motto is, cost isn't an option when it comes to safety.
    Is it possible there is a twist in my wrist that causes the string to hang up on the release?
    Am I not punching the release hard enough?
    I'm only pulling 30-35lbs because of lack of strength and a shoulder injury, is this part of the problem?
    Please, someone give me some ideas, Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by AddictedWife View Post
    Here's my problem...
    When I hit my release, sometimes it's seconds before the string is free to leave the release. My husband, son and I are new to the sport...we have been to two 3D shoots and can't wait to go again. But I gotta get my problem fixed, this past weekend it scared me to death when I pulled my string, hit the release and nothing happened for EVER. I kept my bow/arrow pointing at the target until the string was finally released.
    Is it the release, I'm not against purchasing a better/new one. My motto is, cost isn't an option when it comes to safety.
    Is it possible there is a twist in my wrist that causes the string to hang up on the release?
    I'm only pulling 30-35lbs because of lack of strength and a shoulder injury, is this part of the problem?
    what the heck kind of release is it......also you should be squezzing the release subconciosly.....

you should not "hit" the release.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

you need a new release, it sounds like your release is nit workning correctly,it should go off once the trigger is pull{not punched} pull the release SLOOOWWWLLLYYYour shot should be a suprise but you shouldnt ever have to wait for the release to go off after the trigger is pulled.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by midevilarcher5575 View Post
    you need a new release, it sounds like your release is nit workning correctly,it should go off once the trigger is pull{not punched} pull the release SLOOOWWWLLLYYYour shot should be a suprise but you shouldnt ever have to wait for the release to go off after the trigger is pulled.
    yeah thats a very serious issue with your release, if you punch it the string should still release immediately.
    No I'm not dead

to the forums!! And yeah, what they said

Default release

Here's my problem...
    You need a new release i had this happen before.
    went home tried to take it apart,didnt fix the problem.
    i had a habit of touching & punching i think caused the release to jam.
    yes! target panic! shooting to heavy poundage trying to get speed.
    curied by cranking bow down & using the count down method.
    the guy's are right you should squeeze real slow and not really know when the bow is going to take off.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Default Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    You need a new release i had this happen before.
    went home tried to take it apart,didnt fix the problem.
    i had a habit of touching & punching i think caused the release to jam.
    yes! target panic! shooting to heavy poundage trying to get speed.
    curied by cranking bow down & using the count down method.
    the guy's are right you should squeeze real slow and not really know when the bow is going to take off.
    Someone who understands my problem! My husband came up with an idea...try his release. I just came in from shooting 50 arrows and guess what? Not once did the release hang up. Whew! I thought it was because I was left handed.
    Headed to my favorite Archery store tomorrow and buying a new release.

Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Someone who understands my problem! My husband came up with an idea...try his release. I just came in from shooting 50 arrows and guess what? Not once did the release hang up. Whew! I thought it was because I was left handed.
    I just bought the Tru-fire Judge and im very pleased with it. lots of adjustments to meet your needs.
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

OHHHH... That's the problem...Your shooting from the wrong side of the bow...j/k

Welcome to the forum...
    Definately sounds like a release problem...Glad to hear you figured it out...
    Happy shooting.

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Let us know what you get and how you do with it.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

are you shooting w/ a loop? Some releases arent design for a loop. Depends on the jaw design. Also, if your release is designed for the purpose you are using. Get a new release. Set it up so you can wrap your finger around the trigger. then when at full draw slowly push with bow hand and pull w/ release hand. This is what we call shooting B/T. You want the shot to surprise you. that way punching wont effect your shot. Something to try. Good luck!!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post

OHHHH... That's the problem...Your shooting from the wrong side of the bow...j/k

Welcome to the forum...
    Definately sounds like a release problem...Glad to hear you figured it out...
    Happy shooting.
    Don't worry about him... he is just jealous because we know how to shoot and he is still using suction cup arrows
    No I'm not dead

Default Release...

Quote Originally Posted by djkillaz View Post
    are you shooting w/ a loop? Some releases arent design for a loop. Depends on the jaw design. Also, if your release is designed for the purpose you are using. Get a new release. Set it up so you can wrap your finger around the trigger. then when at full draw slowly push with bow hand and pull w/ release hand. This is what we call shooting B/T. You want the shot to surprise you. that way punching wont effect your shot. Something to try. Good luck!!!
    Not shooting with a loop. I believe my son and I just have cheap releases. I ordered Tru Fire "foldback" releases for my son and I yesterday. I definately don't want any more scarey moments like last weekend. The "foldback" feature will be nice...I hate constantly twisting my release around my wrist while I pull arrows or try and write scores.
    Thanks so much for the advice...

to the forum. I am glad you figured out your problem anything mechanical can give you problems releases just like cars. Keep posting and get your son and husband on here we would love to meet them. Is'nt it great to have the whole family involved in archery. I love your username we are truly all "addicted". Good luck and happy shootin.

"HONDA"

Take your bow with you when you go shopping for a release.
    Any good dealer should let you try before you buy.

Take a good look at the jaw design. If it's not smooth enough, your string and/or loop could get hung up with a low draw weight.