You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Wheely Threads Wheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,602

    Default Arrows making string noise?

    Does the wrong size arrow make a lot of string noise? When I shot my new bow down at the shop, I didn't notice any noise, but when I took it out to the range and shot my own arrows through it, it sounds like a rubberband. Just wondering what you can tell me, I will be going back in on Wednesday to work on it more

  2. #2
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    Does the wrong size arrow make a lot of string noise? When I shot my new bow down at the shop, I didn't notice any noise, but when I took it out to the range and shot my own arrows through it, it sounds like a rubberband. Just wondering what you can tell me, I will be going back in on Wednesday to work on it more

    It's a single cam Matthews .

    It has that sweet plingin sound. Smokes



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  3. #3
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default string noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    Does the wrong size arrow make a lot of string noise? When I shot my new bow down at the shop, I didn't notice any noise, but when I took it out to the range and shot my own arrows through it, it sounds like a rubberband. Just wondering what you can tell me, I will be going back in on Wednesday to work on it more
    If your arrow's are to light your bow will be louder than normal but i think it sound's like you just need to add string silencer's if you dont have any on the bow.
    if youve allready got silencer's on you might have another problem.
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  4. #4
    Wheely Threads Wheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    If your arrow's are to light your bow will be louder than normal but i think it sound's like you just need to add string silencer's if you dont have any on the bow.
    if youve allready got silencer's on you might have another problem.
    it doesn't have any on it yet, we are going to finish setting it up this week

  5. #5
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default that's it

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    it doesn't have any on it yet, we are going to finish setting it up this week
    That rubberband noise is normal on a bow without string silencer's.
    just put some spider leg's on her & the noise will go to a thummmmp!!
    some people shoot without on target bow's but i cant stand that twanng either.
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  6. #6
    RIP Ronhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    Does the wrong size arrow make a lot of string noise? When I shot my new bow down at the shop, I didn't notice any noise, but when I took it out to the range and shot my own arrows through it, it sounds like a rubberband. Just wondering what you can tell me, I will be going back in on Wednesday to work on it more
    How do like that Mathews rest ?
    I bought a used Ovation with the Mathews rest and that thing is one of the nicest I've seen.
    The fit and operation is awsome...

    String twang: Like those people said. String silencers, maybe nocking point moved ? Check your nocking point if you already have silencers... Also, are the nocks on your arrows positioned right for the Mathews rest ? If you shot the bow at the shop without your arrows there may be a slight nock adjustment issue. Check that clearance since there is not a lot of room for error with that rest. I found that out myself...

    Good luck and congrats on the new bow !

    Ron

  7. #7
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,885

    Default

    Three little letters...........................STS the original of course.


    "HONDA"

  8. #8
    Evil Genius brokenarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    5,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Three little letters...........................STS the original of course.
    I must agree...


  9. #9
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,901

    Default

    Wheels if you never believe me about anything else ever, believe this....do not put silencers on the bow until after you get an STS on that thing, it usaully takes care of any string noise......also get it installed properly.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

  10. #10
    Senior Member ByteMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Posts
    199

    Default I second that motion..

    Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    Wheels if you never believe me about anything else ever, believe this....do not put silencers on the bow until after you get an STS on that thing, it usaully takes care of any string noise......also get it installed properly.....
    I will have to side with bowman on that one.. STS works wonders and those spider looking things on the string.. I dont know I just cant get with that whole thing.
    Hoyt Magnatec Redline HO
    DW 65#
    DL 27"
    Toxonics 3 pin sight
    NAP Quicktune 3000
    26" Carbon Express Sidewinder 60's 324gr

    "Bringing back the smack... one post at a time!!"

    "You can lead, follow or just get the hell outta my way!!"

  11. #11
    Wheely Threads Wheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    How do like that Mathews rest ?
    I bought a used Ovation with the Mathews rest and that thing is one of the nicest I've seen.
    The fit and operation is awsome...

    String twang: Like those people said. String silencers, maybe nocking point moved ? Check your nocking point if you already have silencers... Also, are the nocks on your arrows positioned right for the Mathews rest ? If you shot the bow at the shop without your arrows there may be a slight nock adjustment issue. Check that clearance since there is not a lot of room for error with that rest. I found that out myself...

    Good luck and congrats on the new bow !

    Ron
    this is my first drop away, but I am liken it

  12. #12
    Wheely Threads Wheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,602

    Default

    ok, I went out and shot it again today and we moved the rest up, cuz vanes were hitting and move the knock point up and it is a little quieter. so I think once we get it all tuned and stuff it will be fine

  13. #13
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default question!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    ok, I went out and shot it again today and we moved the rest up, cuz vanes were hitting and move the knock point up and it is a little quieter. so I think once we get it all tuned and stuff it will be fine
    Wheels what is your bow's max.poundage.
    That rubberband sound,if your still getting it wont be fixed with tuning.
    it may be less, but most of the time come's from shooting near ibo,spec.arrow's & or,shooting to low poundage.
    FIX; shoot heavier arrow's:you dont want to do, you need speed for target.
    adding silencer's will stop your problem altogether.
    unless you want to hear the twang.
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  14. #14
    Wheely Threads Wheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    Wheels what is your bow's max.poundage.
    That rubberband sound,if your still getting it wont be fixed with tuning.
    it may be less, but most of the time come's from shooting near ibo,spec.arrow's & or,shooting to low poundage.
    FIX; shoot heavier arrow's:you dont want to do, you need speed for target.
    adding silencer's will stop your problem altogether.
    unless you want to hear the twang.
    I think it is 50# and I am at 45# right now and I think my arrows are already a little to heavy. My pins have quite a gap.

    Thanks, I will keep those thoughts in mind, when I work on it again.

  15. #15
    RIP Ronhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rock Island, IL
    Posts
    3,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    this is my first drop away, but I am liken it
    Yeah, I never had a drop away and I really llike this rest a lot. It's elegantly simple.

    Another thing I did on the Mathews rest was remove the 'furry' prong covers and replace them with the smooth teflon ones. That gave me a little more vane clearance because of the smaller diameter but I had to adjust the nocking point a little bit to keep the geometry the way it was.

    This Ovation shoots excellent, in spite of the dumb-butt (me) shooting it. And, I might add, the gentleman on this site whom I bought it from has been most helpful and he really took care of that bow on top of it. Hat's off to him...

    And, as a plus, the bow is not pink... It's Blueberry. (Blue/Black riser, black limbs... Very nice.)


    Had to get that in there for our pal and our unofficial "Senior 3D Shoots coordinator/agitator of sorts" Bowman... Your such the entertainer...




    Ron

Similar Threads

  1. Bow noise
    By phillip in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 09:38 PM
  2. String making???
    By Nicodemus in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 11:41 AM
  3. making arrows
    By nyarcher in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 08:55 AM
  4. Got a noise. HELP!
    By OB1.25 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 12:59 AM
  5. String noise
    By piethon in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 10:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •