You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default staff shooters ethics

i started this thread on the mathews web site and never got a for sure answer so maybe you guys can tell me if this sort of thing is normal.

hey is it ethical for a mathews staff shooter to be buying his new bows each year just to turn around and sell them "new in box" on another web site? wouldn't that be stepping on his dealers/sponcers toes? isn't a dealership in the buisness to sell bows not to be giving or selling to a staff shooter at a discounted price only to have that person mark it up and resale it for himself. to me thats very distasteful and a slap in the face to the dealer that put him on there staff. what do you guys think maybe i'm out of line here if so correct me please

I wouldn't call it unethical because he is underselling a local shop. Mathews shooters only get 4 or so free bows a year and I don't think, even if he sold all four, that he is gonna put the shop under.

I would however call it unethical, because Mathews shooters are not supposed to sell their free bows to anyone for a year or two after they are given to the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by iowacityarcher View Post
    i started this thread on the mathews web site and never got a for sure answer so maybe you guys can tell me if this sort of thing is normal.

hey is it ethical for a mathews staff shooter to be buying his new bows each year just to turn around and sell them "new in box" on another web site? wouldn't that be stepping on his dealers/sponcers toes? isn't a dealership in the buisness to sell bows not to be giving or selling to a staff shooter at a discounted price only to have that person mark it up and resale it for himself. to me thats very distasteful and a slap in the face to the dealer that put him on there staff. what do you guys think maybe i'm out of line here if so correct me please
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

OK, is this a Mathews factory shooter or some local shop shooter?
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

acording to his signature on his post he is on the fin and feather pro staff and the mathews nat. staff. to me undercutting your shop wouldn't be right they are in the buisness to sell them for full retail. if you go to the mathews web site forums and look it up under the general dis. area you'll find a link to the seller

acording to his signature on his post he is on the fin and feather pro staff and the mathews nat. staff. to me undercutting your shop wouldn't be right they are in the buisness to sell them for full retail. if you go to the mathews web site forums and look it up under the general dis. area you'll find a link to the seller
    Well I am friends with a Mathews Factory Staff shooter and I know for a fact that they aren't allowed to sell their freebies for a set period of time. I believe it is 2 years. Not sure on the actual time period.

As far as a shop shooter goes. If I own a shop and I sell bow "x" for $650 to the general public and I sell the same bow to Johnny X Killer who is my shop shooter for $550 and he wants to sell that one bow for $600, so be it, but the next one will be sold to him for $650. If he has sold 20 bows this year at $600, then the shop owner is a moron for selling him so many bows at staff shooter prices.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

i wish someone at mathews would read thease post and respond to them or take care of the problem if there is one

Site Guru

i wish someone at mathews would read thease post and respond to them or take care of the problem if there is one
    I don't think its as big an issue as you are worried about.
    No I'm not dead

I don't know for sure but if I were say shooting for Mathews and was shooting the Conquest 3 and really shot it good and did not want to change but they were giving me other bows then I see no problem selling the others. Now if I were buying from my local shop at discounted prices several bows and then reselling them then that would be kinda tasteless. If Mathews or the Proshop have a problem they will take care of it I'm sure.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I don't know for sure but if I were say shooting for Mathews and was shooting the Conquest 3 and really shot it good and did not want to change but they were giving me other bows then I see no problem selling the others. Now if I were buying from my local shop at discounted prices several bows and then reselling them then that would be kinda tasteless. If Mathews or the Proshop have a problem they will take care of it I'm sure.

AGREED, I looked over on the mathews forum and couldnt find the post....somebody give me a link to the thread.....

also where is fin and feather?...sounds familier....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

Everyone knows how little these staff shooters actually make right? And how much they shell out in travel, expenses, ... if they can manage to make 3K a year and then use that to fund their shooting who cares?
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Everyone knows how little these staff shooters actually make right? And how much they shell out in travel, expenses, ... if they can manage to make 3K a year and then use that to fund their shooting who cares?
    As long as they are not out buying and selling several bows a year I see no problem with it.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    As long as they are not out buying and selling several bows a year I see no problem with it.
    does anyone know the person who is doing this.....just come out w/it???

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=59642

heres a link to it from the mathews site and from there you can find a link on who it is

o.k. so maybe he shot the C4's and is deciding to shoot those instead????

Site Guru

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=59642

heres a link to it from the mathews site and from there you can find a link on who it is
    I honestly think you are either:

1. Jealous of this guy

2. Blowing this way out of proportion for some unknown slight that he did to you or someone you know

3. Getting WAY to worked up over something that is none of your business.

How do you know that whoever gave him the bow didn't do it with the whole intent of the bow acting as payment? ie: the dealer can give the guy 500.00 store credit or a bow at dealer price... if he sells a bow that cost him 500 for 650.00 then thats a good deal for whoever buys it and he makes 150.00.

who cares?

I honestly do not see what you are worked up over.
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I honestly think you are either:

1. Jealous of this guy

2. Blowing this way out of proportion for some unknown slight that he did to you or someone you know

3. Getting WAY to worked up over something that is none of your business.

How do you know that whoever gave him the bow didn't do it with the whole intent of the bow acting as payment? ie: the dealer can give the guy 500.00 store credit or a bow at dealer price... if he sells a bow that cost him 500 for 650.00 then thats a good deal for whoever buys it and he makes 150.00.

who cares?

I honestly do not see what you are worked up over.

1 i really don't think so
    2 never did nothing to me
    3 maybe? just wondering if it was right or not and i do get worked up easy maybe from being bored in retirement. if you guys all think this is the thing for someone to do then i'll drop it at that.

If it is a Mathews shooter, the bow is linked to him through the serial number, and he is not allowed to sell it for 2 years. He can sell it for what ever he wants, it's a used bow with no warranty, it should be cheaper than the shops price. I don't think a Mathews pro would take a chance on selling it early and lose his free 2 or 4 bows a year.
    Elite Z28
    Pathfinder wraps
    Vortex optics
    Gods Country Outdoors
    Ranger custom bowstrings

Default staff shooter

Quote Originally Posted by dano-c4 View Post
    If it is a Mathews shooter, the bow is linked to him through the serial number, and he is not allowed to sell it for 2 years. He can sell it for what ever he wants, it's a used bow with no warranty, it should be cheaper than the shops price. I don't think a Mathews pro would take a chance on selling it early and lose his free 2 or 4 bows a year.
    Im not sure on the full detail's of the setup by the particular agreement with the shop.
    thing's have changed alot since i was in it 10year's ago
    I was a manufacture shooter for pse were the shop gave me one bow a year.
    the back-up bow had to be purchased by me if any,which i didnt if i had a problem with it the shop would repair or replace free in that year.
    after one year the bow was mine which i could sell (which i did,about 10 of them) each year i had to shoot the new model so every year it would change.
    the same shop wanted me to shoot several brand's that they carried :example:highcountry first came out i shoot it 1 year i sold it.next year pse/lazerflight-target indoor/toxonic manufacture & mach flight-4/3-d nfaa shot for 2 year contract with pse/toxonic/check-it/easton involved.
    that target bow was gave to me to shoot on a contract that binded me to shoot only that bow indoor over a 2 year period nothing else.at that time that target bow cost around $1400.00 i had the chance to buy it after the contract for 1/4 of the price after pse took it & examine the wear&tear on it.
    ive still got it today they sold it for $150.00 to me i could probably get 50buck's for it now but ill never sell it it will set there & collect dust hanging in the garage with all the trophy's from another time.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Site Guru

1 i really don't think so
    2 never did nothing to me
    3 maybe? just wondering if it was right or not and i do get worked up easy maybe from being bored in retirement. if you guys all think this is the thing for someone to do then i'll drop it at that.
    I don't think we have enough info about the shooters contract to make the judegement of ethical or not. In reality if the guy is getting 4 bows a year there is no way he will shoot all 4 so it makes sense that some should be sold off but once again. I don't know the wording in his contract so I'm just guessing, as are all of us.

Now if his contract specifically says "no way are you allowed to sell these bows" then yes he is being unethical and won't keep his contract for long but I really wouldn't expect him to donate his bows either.
    No I'm not dead

i didn't have a problem with selling off either but to take a brand new one from your dealer then turn around and undercut the dealer by selling it as new in the box seems like a slap in the dealers face that was why i was asking everyones opinion on the matter. i figure the dealer and mathews can deal with it. and yes i'm back today because i'm bored and nothing better to do.