You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a take down compound bow

Greetings All,
    I have been doing some research over the last couple of weeks and am having some difficulty. It is possible that what I am looking for does not exist. I would like to purchase a compound bow that can be easily disassembled and reassembled for hiking and camping. Something small and compact.

It seems that there was something called a Pack Rat bow made by Martin some years ago, but is no longer offered. There was also a bow made in 2003 by Forge called the X/Star that I cannot find for sale online anywhere.

Does anyone know of another manufacture out there that offers something along these lines? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Kind Regards,
    Bigfeet

I dont know that you can still find them but i thought that the company Fred Bear made a bow they called the Borsalarno or something like that.....I think someone told me once that it was a take down.....

why not just get one of those 20" axle to axle bows and try that???
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

I think you are going to be SOL looking for a compound. They just don't exist anymore
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I think you are going to be SOL looking for a compound. They just don't exist anymore
    and i dont think they could possibly be accurate???

That is the fear that I have. So far searching online has net nothing.

As for accuracy, why would you say that?

Thank you both for the information thus far...

Bigfeet

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
    That is the fear that I have. So far searching online has net nothing.

As for accuracy, why would you say that?

Thank you both for the information thus far...

Bigfeet

well i say accurate.....will you be using this just for plinking or will you be trying to harvest your camping dinner w/it???

Good Question. For the most part it would be for goofing off, or plinking. If I were to attempt to kill for dinner, it would be the result of a dire emergency.

Given that, I would most likely want it to be able to fill the role if need be. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
    Bigfeet

Good Question. For the most part it would be for goofing off, or plinking. If I were to attempt to kill for dinner, it would be the result of a dire emergency.

Given that, I would most likely want it to be able to fill the role if need be. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
    Bigfeet
    so why not just get a freakcurve and pack it in a tube??? there are a tone of take down recurves on the market???

Just about any Martin bow will break down without a press. Other choices would be the Guardian and the Mach x. I am sure there are others that will do it but I cant think of any more.
    L.A. Archery
    Everything else is obsolete

Default break down

Quote Originally Posted by L A Archery View Post
    Just about any Martin bow will break down without a press. Other choices would be the Guardian and the Mach x. I am sure there are others that will do it but I cant think of any more.
    He's talkin about quick take down bow's like the bear kodiak takedown like they had some time ago.
    I shoot a mach X you couldnt haul it in the mountain's & put it togeather by just screwing the limbs back down to the same place & expect the sight to be dead on.
    He need's a bow with limited cables,& limited tool's,browning bushmaster use to do this see if you can find one.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by L A Archery View Post
    He's right on here. I ve been doin Martin since 84 and ya can take em down with just an allen wrench at tha bow limbs. Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

I think he is looking more for the bow that Rambo used in his movies

I would really say get a longbow style bow. A lot of them can double as a walking stick and when you need to shoot you throw the string on and there you have it. You'll have to practice a bit though to get good at shooting it without a sight
    No I'm not dead

Default takedown

I think he is looking more for the bow that Rambo used in his movies

I would really say get a longbow style bow. A lot of them can double as a walking stick and when you need to shoot you throw the string on and there you have it. You'll have to practice a bit though to get good at shooting it without a sight
    Most bow's can be taken down with an allen wrench,but cables & resetting the tiller etc. is to much.
    I could do it with a few tool's but ive got to shoot it to check the sight's.
    What he's talkin about is packin a bow in assemblen the 2 limb's & being accurate wright away.
    There's alot of bow's like this that come to mind but mostly stick or recurve
    I would probably use the hatfield take-down with kisser-button, 1 pin,easy,2 bolt's & set 1 pin & shoot.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Wow, it seems like there are more options out there than I originally thought. Thank you all for your posts thus far.

Without looking like a total noob (although it may be late for that now), I guess that Dredly's assessment was close to what I am looking for in the bow, without the glorified Rambo stuff. Basically something that I can take with me in a small pack into the woods for hiking, and if I get lost and am in need of food, something that I can rely on to be accurate and deadly.

I am still listening in case someone else has a suggestion. In the meantime, I am doing my research on the names provided so far...

Bigfeet

Well, I have some great news.

I just found a Pack Rat for sale on the eBay. It must be my lucky day...

Thank you all again for the wonderful help. Now to get it in my hands and off to the local pro to check it out...

Bigfeet

Well, I have some great news.

I just found a Pack Rat for sale on the eBay. It must be my lucky day...

Thank you all again for the wonderful help. Now to get it in my hands and off to the local pro to check it out...

Bigfeet
    post some pics when you get a chance.....

There are a couple of very short compound bows available that may do what you want. However, they are not takedowns, just short enough to carry in a pack.

http://www.libertyarchery.com/index.html

http://www.bladerunnerarchery.com/

I haven't shot either of these, so I can't tell you much about them.

I have owned and shot a Bladerunner. I believe it was 24" axle to axle. You could pretty much strap this to a backpack and hit the trails. It was a pretty neat little bow and shot pretty good.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I have owned and shot a Bladerunner. I believe it was 24" axle to axle. You could pretty much strap this to a backpack and hit the trails. It was a pretty neat little bow and shot pretty good.
    would you consider using it for hunting? I had a hard time shooting a 31" a2a... i would imagine a 24 would be nearly impossible!
    No I'm not dead

would you consider using it for hunting? I had a hard time shooting a 31" a2a... i would imagine a 24 would be nearly impossible!
    Yeah, I would have hunted with it. At the time though, I was looking for a hunting/3D bow combination, and a 3D bow it ain't ....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps