You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Archery Girl has a question

I'm new to the sport...been taking lessons since January and I'm not too bad on an indoor 30 yard target at the local archery shop. I'm hesitant to ask too many question of the guys hanging out there cuz I'm getting the impression they don't see too many girls in the place but here goes: I would love to do 3D indoor/outdoor tournaments. How do you know when you're good enough to participate and are girls welcome at these tournaments that are held at the Rod and Gun Clubs? I think I might feel slightly uncomfortable going to such a "guy place". What's the consensus? I'm kind of a girly girl but I like guy sports like NASCAR and baseball......would I fit in???

Thanks guys!!!!!

First off, in my area their are several female shooters, They goto the shoots and hangout just like anyone else. And their more then welcome!!! Now as far as you being good enough, if you can shoot your bow, you are good enough, you wont get any better at it by not doing it, and never say im not good enough to go shoot here, or go shoot at this place....... If you like shooting your bow, and have fun, go do all the shooting you can, its the only way to get better!! Their are even a few ladies on this site that chime in and do some posting. so its not only a mans sport anymore. If you have any questions, post them up, lots of helpfull people here.

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tiffinthecity View Post
    I'm new to the sport...been taking lessons since January and I'm not too bad on an indoor 30 yard target at the local archery shop. I'm hesitant to ask too many question of the guys hanging out there cuz I'm getting the impression they don't see too many girls in the place but here goes: I would love to do 3D indoor/outdoor tournaments. How do you know when you're good enough to participate and are girls welcome at these tournaments that are held at the Rod and Gun Clubs? I think I might feel slightly uncomfortable going to such a "guy place". What's the consensus? I'm kind of a girly girl but I like guy sports like NASCAR and baseball......would I fit in???

Thanks guys!!!!!
    I agree with bullspotter! You'll be welcomed at any event! Look here for shoots and check out your local shop. When you register, let them know you are new to 3D and they will set you up with someone who'll show you the ropes. Once you try it, you'll be hooked! Good luck!
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

I thought I was going to be the only girl when I decided to go to the club shoots and I was suprised, there were a few others. Don't be afraid to jump right in. I was also afraid to go, cuz I didn't know a single person, but I quickly met a lot of helpful guys and even joined the club. Sounds like you may fit in just fine, I too like NASCAR and football and some other "guy" activities, but I won't list them

Ask all the questions you have. I asked a lot of dumb questions when I started posting here and the guys helped alot.

Default Thanks Guys!

I'm still not feeling like I belong even in the archery shop, let alone a rod and gun club. You sure I won't be out of place?

Thanks from the Big (rotten) Apple,

Tiff

I think the best way to be comfortable is to find some friends to shoot with you at the tournaments. I went to my first 3D alone and had fun, but i have enjoyed it a lot more now that i have made friends to shoot with.

But to answer your question, yes, you will be more than welcome at any tournament worth its salt.
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

One of my friends has a 13 year old daughter that goes 3D shooting with us. We all have a lot of fun. The thing to do is get advice, be openminded and focus on having fun. The shoots we go to have plenty of females both adult and children. Don't be timid about asking for help and introducing yourself. This sport is a nice community.

Have fun and welcome to the sport/forum/obsession !

Ron

Toughen Up! That's what I had to do, I missed out on a month of fun shooting with the club, cuz I was to chicken to go by myself. Now, I wish I had started earlier. You won't know until you try it. It is so much fun and this is such a family sport now days, you will be suprised.

Yes, folllow Wheels lead. Jump in there and have some fun.

Ron

Default Is there anyone else on here from metro NYC?

Just wondering

Just wondering
    Not sure but there are a few from NYS, all around I guess... I'm not sure where but I'm sure the few people could come out of the closet and help you navigate...

I'm in the Midwest. Wheels is on the West Coast. We're kind more or less all over the place but it's a good group of people trying to help each other out as well as some badgering in between.

If I had my choice of a place to visit to shoot with somebody it would probably be the West coast... It's warmer there now.

I hope you jump into this and have fun. Don't be shy.

Ron

Where are all our NYers tonight. You could probly get some quick buddies here to help you get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
    Where are all our NYers tonight. You could probly get some quick buddies here to help you get started.
    Yeah, I planted the seed but nobody has bit yet...

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Not sure but there are a few from NYS, all around I guess... I'm not sure where but I'm sure the few people could come out of the closet and help you navigate...
    I'm in the Midwest. Wheels is on the West Coast. We're kind more or less all over the place but it's a good group of people trying to help each other out as well as some badgering in between.

If I had my choice of a place to visit to shoot with somebody it would probably be the West coast... It's warmer there now.
    I hope you jump into this and have fun. Don't be shy.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Yeah, I planted the seed but nobody has bit yet...

Ron
    They are probly all in bed snoozin

Right on Wheels.

We're looking at a possible 2" of SNOW tonight and blowing snow tomorrow.

Well, I guess you don't have that there, which is why I chose the West coast as my desired shooting destination right now.

I still wonder where the NYS folks are...

Have a good night. It's past my bedtime.

tiffinthecity, you get out there and have fun and meet people. This set of forums are very good on this site and I recommend that you spend time here and post questions. You will get some very good answers...

Man, I still wonder where the NYS guys are... But, maybe we need a break from that... Sorry guys, I could not resist...

Ron

Yes to the group....another lady here...in California as well as Wheels. I was born in NY if that helps LOL. I'm pretty much the only woman that comes to our club meetings most of the time but my hubby comes with me and we all have alot of fun. I get razzed alot because alot of them shoot bare bow and I'm miss dial a shot LOL. Can't live without my sight and scope. Go and have fun ....
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

Default Thanks for all the feedback

I'll keep checking back...well it's late and the city never sleeps but I do! Nite all!!

Thanks guys!!!!!
    Howdy Tiff to the forum. Jump right in and don't look back you will meet some people along the way who just don't understand that archery is about having fun but just mover along and I guarantee you will be in the group in no time. Still calling out our NY boys???? Adam,Ed,Dan,Papito??? Oh well again and post any questions you may have I am sure we have all asked the same ones.

"HONDA"

Thanks guys!!!!!
    First off, dont worry about being good enough to shoot 3d. Guy's wont laugh.
    there are alot of guy's who are really bad. I feel woman are easier to train any ways. They arent bull headed, and usually dont have bad habits yet. You''ll be surprised. You'll probably beat a few of them too. And there "ARE ALOT OF WOMAN INTO 3D." Jus go to any nation ASA shoot. There's a ton of woman there. Our club has quit a few of woman shooting bows now..
    And where are located. Maybe on eof our emebers can show you around~!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS