You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Youth Bow Purchase Advice needed.

Hello everyone,

My son's b-day is today and he turned 10. I figured it would be enough time for me to get him a bow, practice all summer and be ready for the season this fall.

I want to get him a youth bow. Does anyone have any advice. I want him to have a nice bow. I don't want to get him one of the "starter" kit bows. I'm a very seasoned flyfishing veteran and I know too much about the "beginners starter kit" sets that I know I don't want to do that with him with a bow. My thought is to take him to the local archery shop to get him fully measure and fit for draw, string length and draw weight. My intention then will be to seek out a used youth bow. Does anyone have any advice of which bow is a good youth bow to seek out on the used level and which is not? Then, what is a good price to expect for a used one of these bows?

Thanks,

Brinx

Default youth bow

Quote Originally Posted by Brinx View Post
    Hello everyone,

My son's b-day is today and he turned 10. I figured it would be enough time for me to get him a bow, practice all summer and be ready for the season this fall.

I want to get him a youth bow. Does anyone have any advice. I want him to have a nice bow. I don't want to get him one of the "starter" kit bows. I'm a very seasoned flyfishing veteran and I know too much about the "beginners starter kit" sets that I know I don't want to do that with him with a bow. My thought is to take him to the local archery shop to get him fully measure and fit for draw, string length and draw weight. My intention then will be to seek out a used youth bow. Does anyone have any advice of which bow is a good youth bow to seek out on the used level and which is not? Then, what is a good price to expect for a used one of these bows?

Thanks,

Brinx
    There are alot of good youth bow's out there but if you want to let him hunt with it your going to have to check out the local hunting law's.
    In va a bow has to be at least 45lb's pull & has to be able to propell an arrow 125yd's.
    My son first used a browning micro-midas,25 to 45lb's the bow actually cranked up to 47lbs.took two deer at age 12
    The browning micro-adrenlin is a good choice,darton has a nice bow.
    pse-spyder,I would go with these,o and buy the way, newbe to our forum,great information here just ask.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

My son has a Parker Buckshot and it is a very nice shooting bow. Easy to adj. DL. You can upgrade the limbs for $50 to 50#. A complete hunting package(bow,sight,rest,quiver,arrows) goes for around $290. Good luck and have fun.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    My son has a Parker Buckshot and it is a very nice shooting bow. Easy to adj. DL. You can upgrade the limbs for $50 to 50#. A complete hunting package(bow,sight,rest,quiver,arrows) goes for around $290. Good luck and have fun.
    micro adrenalin and micro midas 4 are parallel limb bows w/ all machined risers. Also, changed there dual hyper cam. Its alot faster this year. and you can upgrade limbs on a micro midas 4 to 50 lbs for $ 50.00 also.
    mocro adrenalin is a 40- 50lb bow. and 10 inch of draw length adjustments w/ out a press. And yes, get your own options w/ the bow.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Default Update

Well, we spent all day so far running around to various archery shops and pawn shops and 2nd hand stores. As we thought, there's no way we're gonna be able to buy a new "youth" bow. The bottom line is to buy a new youth bow will be $300.00 any way you slice it. No matter the brand or style.

So, after all the running around to used shops, we found an Alpine Micro that looked to be a couple years old. An awful site and and awful rest but the rest of the bow was in great condition and had good adjustability. We have it on hold until 5:00 tomorrow for $75.00. All black, no camo. I figure we could use camo tape on it once we got it. I'm just so nervous 'cuz I don't know if I'm getting a good deal or not. Cole likes the bow and actually chose it over a more expensive Jennings Carbon something or other for $95.00. So, whatcy'all think. With what I saw today, I think it's probably my only way to go unless I want to hold out and try to get a steal on E-bay.

Thanks,

Brinx