You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: John 63

Arrow John 63

I am new to the sport. I seem to have a problem of shooting left and right of the target. I feel like a may be twisting my bow. Is there a way of correcting this bad habbit.

Everyone applies an influence onto the bow with their grip. The more you work on your grip, the less severe the influence. Consitancy in repeating the same grip is the key to more accurate shooting.
    I shoot year round and many years ago I noticed in the warmer months my sweaty hands would increase the tackyness onto my wood bow grip. This caused an increase in inconsistant grip and shooting due to increases in torque. To solve this problem I started wearing a thin cotton glove. This allowed the wood grip of my bow to actually slide and settle into my hand with much more consitancy and a lot less torque. To me, the tacky rubberized palm gloves they sell for archery will increase torque thus decreasing consitancy and accuracy.
    I now wear a cotton glove whenever I shoot. In the hotter months I cut out the finger tips for comfort. I think if you would try this it will help. Just let the pull of the string settle the grip into your relaxed bow hand. Remember consitancy in grip is the key.

I got a tip some time back about how to grip your bow. It is interesting, but I not sure it's the answer to our prayers.

What the fellow said was this.............

"Put a generous amount of baby oil on your grip hand. Draw your bow. Where your grip hand stops sliding is the best place to hold your bow". He added, "If you are squeezing the grip, the baby oil will tell on you. You just can't hold on. The bow's grip will go to where it needs to be."

"Once you find the grip point, make sure that the bow's handle is resting on the fat of your thumb." (The fat of your thumb is where your thumb attaches to the bottom of your hand.) "Practice that awhile with the greasy hand. Pretty soon you'll know where to hold the bow."

Be Advised.......I am not stating that this is the new rule of thumb. But, it is interesting non the less. There is alot to be said how to hold your bow.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

Talking John63

Thanks for your help. Will give it a try.

For the grip try http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu..._bowhunter/get a grip Another contributor to left/right misses is too long a drawlength. Try tweaking it shorter and see if it helps. If you're like the vast majority of shooters then you're about 2" too long. Try this. Measure your wingspan and divide by 2.5. This'll get you close if your of average stature.

Hey, John 63, I found an article on bow grip at the spot hogg web site. It talks about grip technique and the use of a glove. The address is www.spot-hogg.com/newsletter_12.htm. Read this and it will give you a better understanding for using a cotton glove.