You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Sight tape question

Hi all,

I have recently started used a program called ontarget to print sight tapers. One of the questions the program asks is:

What is your sight extension detente used to get the sight radius measurement?

Does anyone know what sight extension detente is?

Thanks
    --Hector

I've never answered these questions to print tapes with my program. I usually weigh my arrow, shoot the arrow through the chrono, enter those numbers into the program manually, and then print my tapes. Of course you need to have your sight selected under equipment.

My tapes are always more accurate than I can judge yardage this way.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Dont use that program any more so I cant remember. I switched to Archers Advantage. More user friendly. Maybe some one else may still use it on here. I also use graduated scales from Sandy at CBE. Super easy to use. Just get a 20 and 50 yard mark on your site. and match up marks to what ever scale yardage works. Good luck!!
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I've never answered these questions to print tapes with my program. I usually weigh my arrow, shoot the arrow through the chrono, enter those numbers into the program manually, and then print my tapes. Of course you need to have your sight selected under equipment.

what program do you use

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    what program do you use
    I use ontarget version 1.2.5.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel1969 View Post
    Dont use that program any more so I cant remember. I switched to Archers Advantage. More user friendly. Maybe some one else may still use it on here. I also use graduated scales from Sandy at CBE. Super easy to use. Just get a 20 and 50 yard mark on your site. and match up marks to what ever scale yardage works. Good luck!!
    Thank you for the tip, I will look into this program. With the version of ontarget that I have, I can just enter the information on the number of clicks that I need to adjust my sight to go from 20 to 30 yards, and then it uses that info to print the tape. But I changed that sight extension parameter and for the same 20/30 marks it does change the tape a tiny bit

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post

This is a very good method. Thanks for the tip. I will try to find someone with a chrono to help me.

Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

ok fellers, I have a stupid question for you? Keep in mind that I am still pretty to all of this stuff ok..
    Are you guys talking about a program that will print out a sight tape for your sight so you know where to put everything? Like it tells you where to set your 20 30 40 50 pins?
    What is it called, where do I get it, and what does it cost?

rdnkgrl

Ok, I just went to the web site, http://www.archersadvantage.com/ and I was checking it all out.. It looks awesome, but complicated.
    Some one please tell me if it is easier than it looks..
    This would be awesome...
    Very nice to take the guess work out of it..

rdnkgrl

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkgrl_robinhood View Post
    Ok, I just went to the web site, http://www.archersadvantage.com/ and I was checking it all out.. It looks awesome, but complicated.
    Some one please tell me if it is easier than it looks..
    This would be awesome...
    Very nice to take the guess work out of it..

rdnkgrl
    Grl it is really simple ta use it will take a little time ta set up yore bow and arrow sites, also will need ta get you some 20,30,40, 50 marks from yore site. After ya play with it a while it is easy.
    Yore gonna need some halp measuing yore dl and peep length .

clear as mud, huh

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Grl it is really simple ta use it will take a little time ta set up yore bow and arrow sites, also will need ta get you some 20,30,40, 50 marks from yore site. After ya play with it a while it is easy.
    Yore gonna need some halp measuing yore dl and peep length .

clear as mud, huh
    yip, clear as mud... LOL.. Well I did just get the bow pretty much sighted out to 50 yards this weekend.. But I think I need to do some walkback tuning because everything beyond 20 starts floating to the right.. but the groups stay pretty tight, so I am sure my yardage is measured out pretty good..II think I may need to reset the rest or something... So how do I get an exact measure of DL? and what do I measure on the peep?

rdnkgrl

yip, clear as mud... LOL.. Well I did just get the bow pretty much sighted out to 50 yards this weekend.. But I think I need to do some walkback tuning because everything beyond 20 starts floating to the right.. but the groups stay pretty tight, so I am sure my yardage is measured out pretty good..II think I may need to reset the rest or something... So how do I get an exact measure of DL? and what do I measure on the peep?

rdnkgrl
    I knew ya was gonna ask that.
    i can't remember all this stuff and tha directions tell ya in a very simple way. It is very simple.
    When i got more time I will look it up for ya. Smokes.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    I knew ya was gonna ask that.
    i can't remember all this stuff and tha directions tell ya in a very simple way. It is very simple.
    When i got more time I will look it up for ya. Smokes.
    No problem, thanks smokes

rdnkgrl

No problem, thanks smokes

rdnkgrl
    Here ya are grl,
    Generating Sight Tapes

Top Level Flow:

Enter Your Bow Information on the Main Form
    Enter Your Arrow Information on the Build Arrow Form
    Calculate Speed on the Calculate Speed Form
    Print Sight Tapes from the Main Form

Detailed Descriptions:
    Bow Information:
    You need only a limited amount of information about the bow you are shooting to generate accurate sight tapes. You will be required to provide additional information about the bow you are shooting for accurate shaft selection.
    Sight Length
    Sight Length is measured at Full Draw from your Peep Sight to your Aperture/Scope to the nearest 1/4". If you do not use a Peep Sight, measure your Sight Length from your Aiming Eye to your Aperture/Scope.

Peep Height
    Measure Peep Height from the center of your Peep, at full draw, straight down to the centerline of your arrow shaft to the nearest 1/4". If you do not use a Peep Sight, measure the distance between your aiming eye and the center of the Arrow Shaft.
    Scale Type
    Archers Advantage supports six types of scales. Scale Type refers to the spacing between marks on your sight. The 24-Turn Scale options refer to those sights that have 24-Turn to the Inch worm screws such as Sure Loc, Cobra and Toxonics Terminator sights. The 28-Turn Scale options refer to sights using 28-Turn to the Inch worm screws. The 32-Turn Scale options refer to sights using 32-Turn to the Inch worm screws. There are currently no sights on the market that use 28-Turn to The Inch worm screws for elevation adjustment. These options are supplied to accommodate possible future development in sights. The 24-Turn, 28-Turn and 32-Turn Scale selections have 10 or 20 click options in the list box. The 10 click option refers to sights that have 10 clicks per turn (as in Older Sure Loc Sights) and the 20 click option refers to sights that have 20 clicks per turn (as in Newer Sure Loc Sights).

If the 10 click option is selected, sight settings are read in 10ths (i.e. 12.5, 12.6, 12.8 etc.). If the 20 click option is selected, sight settings are read in 100
    ths (i.e. 12.50, 12.55, 12.60, 12.65 etc.). Note that the last digit of your sight setting is rounded to 0 or 5 when 20 the click option is selected.
    The Metric Scale and Inch Scale options are provided to support the use of Calipers to set pins on a Bowhunting Sight. With the Metric Scale option selected, sight settings are read in 10ths of a millimeter and with the Inch Scale option selected, sight settings are read in 1000ths of an inch.

If you are unsure what type of scale is already on your sight, lay an Archers Advantage scale alongside your sights scale and verify that they match. If they do not match, and you are not certain that the movement matches one of the other options in the Scale List Box, then replace your sights scale with an Archers Advantage scale and select the 24-Turn 10 Click Option. Archers Advantage assumes that you read your sight settings as follows (Refer to the 24-Turn Scale Figure):

24-Turn Scale: 28.3 represents 28 and 3 tenths divisions below the top of the scale.
    Millimeter Scale: 35.6 represents 35 and 6 tenths divisions below the top of the scale.
    Inch Scale: 1.28 represents 1 and 28 hundredths inch below the top of the scale.

You must enter your sight settings in this form for Archers Advantage to work properly. Your scale must also be mounted so that the lowest number is at the top of the scale (rather than at the bottom of the sight).
    Build Arrow Form:
    Archers Advantage now contains a Build Arrow Module. This Software Module automatically calculates Arrow Weight based on the selections made on this form.
    Arrow Length
    Measure the raw shaft to the nearest ". For those upgrading from previous versions of Archers Advantage, please note that Archers Advantage definition of Arrow Length has changed. Nock Length is now automatically calculated by Archers Advantage.

Arrow Diameter
    Select the Manufacturer, Model & Size Shaft listed on the Build Arrow Form and Archers Advantage will automatically calculate Arrow Diameter and Arrow Weight from the other information provided on the form. If you are shooting a type of shaft that is not supported by Archers Advantage you should select "Other" and enter the Arrow Diameter to the nearest 0.001".
    Arrow Weight
    Arrow Weight is automatically calculated for you. If you know the weight of your components, you can enter them on the Build Arrow form to increase the accuracy of the calculated arrow weight or directly enter the measured arrow weight if you have access to a grain scale. Archers Advantages calculated Arrow Weight is of sufficient accuracy that there is no need to measure the weight of your arrows to improve the accuracy of your sight tapes. If you selected Other as your Arrow Shaft, you will need to enter the Measured Weight of your arrow as Archers Advantage does calculate Arrow Weight of unsupported shafts.

Fletch Length
    Enter your fletch length to the nearest ".
    Fletch Type
    Selecting the type of fletch adjusts the calculated arrow weight and drag characteristics accordingly.
    Number Of Fletch
    Archer's Advantage supports both 3 & 4 fletch arrows.
    Shaft Type
    The Shaft Type is pre-defined in the Arrow Data File and user entry is not supported for this parameter.
    Calculate Your Arrow Speed:
    Archers Advantage automatically calculates Arrow Speed when you provide the program with 2 to 5 sight settings. If you provide Archers Advantage with two sight settings the resulting speed calculation will be only as accurate as your two reference marks. When calculating arrow speed from two marks you should use marks as far apart as you are comfortable shooting. If you have difficulty getting solid marks, provide Archers Advantage with 4 or 5 marks and the program will use statistical analysis to weed out bad marks and provide you with a more accurate Arrow Speed estimate. Archers Advantage will also identify which of your marks is your best mark. You can use this mark as a reference when adjusting the pointer for your new sight tape.

You may also directly enter an arrow speed from a chronograph. However, you should only use a chronograph speed as a first estimate. Any sight tapes printed using a chronograph speed should keep you in or near the spot out to 80 yards. To ensure you have marks you can trust out to 80 or 100 yards, you should get a pair of good marks and let Archers Advantage calculate a new arrow speed!
    Print Your Sight Tapes:
    The number of sight settings printed on your sight tapes will vary depending on your equipment setup. When possible, Archers Advantage prints sight tapes in 1 yard/meter increments. However, on all but the slowest bows some marks must be omitted to prevent marks from being printed on top of one another. The top mark printed on your sight tape will match the highest mark on your sight. If you have ever shot at distances significantly shorter than ten yards/meters you already know that your sight marks reverse direction when you shoot targets shorter than 10 to 12 yards/meters. Any range shot under the shortest range printed on your sight tape will have an equivalent mark on the sight tape.
    The Build Bow Module will also calculate IBO Speed, AMO Speed and the Arrow Speed for the currently selected Arrow Shaft. Archers Advantage derives these arrow speed estimates based on Total Stored Energy (as represented by the Force Draw Curves) and an Estimated Bow Efficiency. As you can imagine, there is no way Archers Advantage can precisely calculate Arrow Speed from generic force draw curves. However, Archers Advantage allows you to calibrate the programs efficiency calculations by directly entering your Arrow Speed (preferred) or the Manufacturers published IBO or AMO published speed data.

T
    When you enter the Shaft Selection Form allows you to customize shaft selection criteria based on the following:

Bow Type

Shaft Length
    Point Weight
    Release Type
    String Type
    Overdraw Length

When the Shaft Selection Form generates a list of recommended shafts, it reports the Estimated Arrow Weight, Spine Weight, and Arrow Speed for each listed shaft.
    When you select a particular shaft, the software indicates how close to the "Sweet Spot" the shaft comes on a custom built control that ranges from Red-to-Yellow-to-Green-to-Yellow-to-Red, ranging from Too Weak to Too Stiff. You can adjust point weight, shaft length, peak weight, etc. and immediately see how much these changes affect the tune of the arrow by observing the custom control.

Enjoy and if ya have any ? I'll try ta git it striagth fer ya, Smokes

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    what program do you use
    I use OnTarget. You can dowload a free trial and give it a test drive. The web site is www.pinwheelsoftware.com
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Hector,

>>sight extension detente is...

A "detente" is/are the small deperssions in the sight extension used for positioning the sight.

In OnTarget! software the "Extension Index" is informational only. It's just there to remind you where the extension was/is set.

Thanks a lot. Finally I understand what it is.