You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: patent

Default patent

If you were to invent a product that is far more advanced than the existing product's on the market would you patent the item,which cost around $4000.
    & take's a year to take it to market....or would you just sell the product while the market is hot right now ?
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

you gots a pm.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

I guess it would depend on how much money I would have to invest to make the product. if it was cheap and easy to produce, I would sell while it's hot.if I had a lot invested I would want to protect it as long as I could. good luck

I agree, it depends on how much you would make on the product. Remember patents are only good if your willing to go to court to fight if someone infringes on your patent.

If it's really good and you think your going to make some real money then yes for sure. If your talking the archery industry, you better get a patent. People will steal your idea in a heartbeat.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    If you were to invent a product that is far more advanced than the existing product's on the market would you patent the item,which cost around $4000.
    & take's a year to take it to market....or would you just sell the product while the market is hot right now ?
    Did you steal my idea??

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Default Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
    Did you steal my idea??
    Clove i had this idea 20yrs ago & used it in tourniments.
    Maybe someone got it from me ?
    anyway someone told me to go to a bank and get the blueprint stamped by a notary with the date on it & that might be enough if someone copys it I could take them to court,what do you think would this be enough ?

and as far as even copying it they need a cnc machine or a water jet its gonna be to costly for just any one to produce it as cost effective as i can.
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

You can begin to market your product as soon as you have your patent application number...you are then protected while the research is taking place.
    rt

is it an improvement on an exciting product or is it an original design?

Default Improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by Colo_Lee View Post
    is it an improvement on an exciting product or is it an original design?
    This is a product i built 25yrs ago used it in indoor & 3-d
    never seen anyone useing one until last year.
    Im just getting back into all target archery after a 6yr layoff of hunting & working on hunting bows only.
    This is an improvement of a product of that seems to be very hot on the market right now!
    A friend i worked on his 3-d bow seen my old design & said wow! you need to market that it would sell like hotcakes,the one on the market works but is way off from my design.Thanks,ken
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Default I know that!

Quote Originally Posted by rdt View Post
    You can begin to market your product as soon as you have your patent application number...you are then protected while the research is taking place.
    rt
    My issue is Paying $500.00 application for patent, $2000.00 for a patent attorney to research all designs to make sure its not an exact copy.
    While this is going on for 1 year you are considered patent pending & someone could steal it within that year if they think you dont have the clout to take them to court anyway.
    Then the patent cost you after 1year:$400.00 every year,then after 3years $900 then after 5years $1200 for the patent attorney to watch it for you.
    It's a lot of headack!!!
    If say pse or hoyt or someone big liked the design, i dont have that kinda money to fight a corporation off in court anyway.
    I think im going to get the bluprint stamped by a notery with the date and go for it!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

have you thought about selling it to a company. maybe outright. or royalties. or both. you might be able to work out a deal with some co.

Default selling to corp!

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    have you thought about selling it to a company. maybe outright. or royalties. or both. you might be able to work out a deal with some co.
    No not really,
    If a company gets in contact, ill talk but ive got about 5 things that im thinking about starting a machine shop on my property,building a small one.
    I have a nephew a design engineer,and two machinist working with me.
    And my brother a retired techinical engineer.
    They all say lets go for it in makeing the products & marketing them.
    Also ive got another machine shop & a professional painter that paints bikes envolved,there all waiting!!!!!!
    WHAT TO DO!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

No not really,
    If a company gets in contact, ill talk but ive got about 5 things that im thinking about starting a machine shop on my property,building a small one.
    I have a nephew a design engineer,and two machinist working with me.
    And my brother a retired techinical engineer.
    They all say lets go for it in makeing the products & marketing them.
    Also ive got another machine shop & a professional painter that paints bikes envolved,there all waiting!!!!!!
    WHAT TO DO!
    just friggen do it so all the secrets will end....i mean come on allready....get them out there,

what is it??
    I cut things up and split them down!

My issue is Paying $500.00 application for patent, $2000.00 for a patent attorney to research all designs to make sure its not an exact copy.
    While this is going on for 1 year you are considered patent pending & someone could steal it within that year if they think you dont have the clout to take them to court anyway.
    Then the patent cost you after 1year:$400.00 every year,then after 3years $900 then after 5years $1200 for the patent attorney to watch it for you.
    It's a lot of headack!!!
    If say pse or hoyt or someone big liked the design, i dont have that kinda money to fight a corporation off in court anyway.
    I think im going to get the bluprint stamped by a notery with the date and go for it!
    It cost $ to make $, and the more you make, the more it cost to protect it! I would get the patent, and document date all of your prints, notes, and research, keep a log book of everything you do with dates on all of it. ext.... seems to me that the making of a incadescent lightbulb had a issue. Someone got a patint on it before the orginal maker, but it was never given because of time proof of all the research by you know who.... witch was proven that he was the first one to come up with the one that worked. if he would have not had this info, he would have been SOL. Just my .02....... good luck!!!!

The costs probably depend on the lawyer, but I would do it the right way if it is a product worth producing, it is worth protecting.

I would suggest that you do a preliminary search for any similar patent at USPTO.gov. If you feel the device is patentable, I would strongly advise you to get in touch with a patent attorney. He will advise you about all the legal costs etc. You should also not allow anyone to view or see the design without have some sort of non disclosure statement from them. You can file for a provisional patent. This cost me like $1200 which included a search of existing designs. This gives you a year of protection on the existing design to test and prove its marketability.

The actual filing for a patent is going to get considerably more expensive. You will probably find that you will not make any substantial profits for a couple of years at best.
    Last edited by Deezlin; 05-22-2007 at 08:44 AM.