You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Site Guru

Default How do I get out an insert?

So I'm putting together some of my arrows and went to put an insert in using Goat Tuff and the stuff dried instantly. the insert is 1/2 in the arrow. How do I get it out?

I already tried the drill bit trick and it didn't work. Any suggestions or is this arrow trash?
    No I'm not dead

Dred, I think you lost one to bad luck.

My brother-in-law gave me some fatboy 500s to use to build some light arrows. The had inserts in them. I don't know what was used to glue them in, but they ain't coming out. I soaked them in laquer thinner, heated them, beat them with a drill bit and they didn't budge. They did make little ripples in the carbon near the end of the shaft. They may be ruined....

Good luck and let me know if you find out the secret....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

I've been able to do it with a torch. However, I did have to put a point in it. If you destroyed the threads then you are probably out of luck.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    So I'm putting together some of my arrows and went to put an insert in using Goat Tuff and the stuff dried instantly. the insert is 1/2 in the arrow. How do I get it out?

I already tried the drill bit trick and it didn't work. Any suggestions or is this arrow trash?
    if only half the insert is in the shaft, just cut the 1/4 inch of shaft off.....will it be that big of a deal???
    I cut things up and split them down!

I have set it in boiling water for about 5 min.'s and have had some success. Its pretty much like crazy glue which breaks down when it gets hot.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

I've heard of the boiling water trick and have heard it works pretty well. But if it does'nt then just do as bowman suggested and cut 1/4" off.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've been able to do it with a torch. However, I did have to put a point in it. If you destroyed the threads then you are probably out of luck.
    yup, the field tip and torch method works good for me too

only heat up the tip, however....carbon and flames dont get along well
    Nick
    2005 Hoyt Vtec 28/70

probobly lost it. If you can't use it cut give it to somebody who can. Heating a point to transfer heat to a insert, then soften the glue will really heat up the shaft too, and will damage the glue that binds the carbon cloth and fibers. Most likely it will weaken the spine in the front couple inches. I have done it, but the arrows seldom fly really true. I use goat tuff, and that is the price you pay for the good bond you get.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Build ya a good fire and lay them in tha edge of tha hot coals and with a old PAIR OF BOOTS STOMP THA DEVIL OUT OF EM. tHAT OUGHTA BE FUN.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default Hot fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Build ya a good fire and lay them in tha edge of tha hot coals and with a old PAIR OF BOOTS STOMP THA DEVIL OUT OF EM. tHAT OUGHTA BE FUN.
    I like smokes idea!
    Na, save it you may be able to do like boman said cut the tail end off!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I think smokes way might not work to good. tie one end to a tree the other to a 4 wheel drive dodge truck. DO NOT use a Chevrolet as it will pull the tree out by the roots if the insert doesnt come out.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    I think smokes way might not work to good. tie one end to a tree the other to a 4 wheel drive dodge truck. DO NOT use a Chevrolet as it will pull the tree out by the roots if the insert doesnt come out.
    Ya better get a Ford ta do this.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

the best glue I have found for inserts for carbon arrows is the glue sticks for glue guns. it's flexible enough to give with impact and wont come lose. I shot them in trees stumps rocks and never had a insert come out or go back in the shaft. and it takes very little heat to get them out. also cheap

use a heat gun

dredly I would put the point in and save the arrow for one of those impossible shots. like a groundhog on a rock at 200 yards. one of three things will probably happen.
    1-you will hit the groundhog and be a hero
    2-you will hit the rock and drive the point in were it should be
    3-it will hit the rock and break,problem over with.
    I'm sure there is more options, maybe someone can come up with somthing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post

I never give up on a messed up insert... I take my arrow gripper for pulling arrows out of targets - wrap it arround the arrow and put it in a vise. Than I heat up the tip with small torch, slowly and pulling on the insert or tip with pliers. With carbon arrows--- You need to go slow with the heat!!.

I know it seems like a lot of work, but the satisfaction of fixing something I screwed-up is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel1969 View Post
    I have set it in boiling water for about 5 min.'s and have had some success. Its pretty much like crazy glue which breaks down when it gets hot.
    I used to be into RC car racing a long time ago and we used super glue to glue on tires. Boiling the tires/wheels in water broke the bond so you could get the tires off without ruining the wheel when you had to replace the tires.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    the best glue I have found for inserts for carbon arrows is the glue sticks for glue guns. it's flexible enough to give with impact and wont come lose. I shot them in trees stumps rocks and never had a insert come out or go back in the shaft. and it takes very little heat to get them out. also cheap
    Would this work for glue in points as well?? I have me a glue gun and I forgot to get epoxy or whatever for my new arrows when they get here.
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

it sure will work on points. dont use the glue gun just the glue sticks. you will have to heat the inserts or points some to make the glue bond to them. I had my release go off on me sunday and put a arrow in the 4x4. two of us gave it a big jerk and it came out point and all. it wasnt one of my better days