You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Target

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2

    Question Target

    What are targets made of nowadays?
    50 years ago, when I was into archery we used straw bales.
    Now that I have purchased a "wheel" bow I need a target.
    Rather then buy a $60+ comercial target can I build my own?
    If not practical to do this which kind should I buy?

  2. #2
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default Retail stores!

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLE View Post
    What are targets made of nowadays?
    50 years ago, when I was into archery we used straw bales.
    Now that I have purchased a "wheel" bow I need a target.
    Rather then buy a $60+ comercial target can I build my own?
    If not practical to do this which kind should I buy?
    IF your lookin for a cheap target get one at a retail store!
    I buy bag targets at walmart for $24.99 all day long!
    If you want to make a cheap one, go to a feed store buy the biggest burlap sack u can find stuff it full & tight with plastic wrap,(silophine) & tie it up,get a perminent black marker draw a 9 inch circle,spray a blaze orange dot with spray paint in the center of the circle.
    This is what i do for homeade targets!
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I'd say go with the Morrell bag instead of making your own, should run about 50.00; I've had mine for about ten years with no problems, covers a little faded, but that's it.
    Keith
    NBEF Instructor
    South Dakota - Iowa

  4. #4
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    I buy bag targets at walmart for $24.99 all day long!

    WHY?????

    1 target lasts me a long time???
    I cant see why I would need to buy them all day long....must be crappy targets......

    that being said I use a Magic Stop target and really like it....
    I cut things up and split them down!

  5. #5
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,884

    Default

    I buy bag targets made here locally for $30. But if you want to make one then I would suggest get yourself a couple 2X10's, all thread or motorcycle straps and some old strips of carpet or cardboard about 10 inches wide and as long as your 2X10's. Put board on bottom and top of a stack of cardboard or carpet and use the strap or all thread to pull boards together tight.


    "HONDA"

  6. #6
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default All Day Long!

    Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    WHY?????

    1 target lasts me a long time???
    I cant see why I would need to buy them all day long....must be crappy targets......

    that being said I use a Magic Stop target and really like it....
    You can buy them at walmart for 24.99
    They sell them at this price all day long.
    Sorry if i have to explain myself in detail for you younger viewer's
    And maybe i am buying them all day long @ 24.99 & re-selling them at 30.00
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  7. #7
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    You can buy them at walmart for 24.99
    They sell them at this price all day long.
    Sorry if i have to explain myself in detail for you younger viewer's
    And maybe i am buying them all day long @ 24.99 & re-selling them at 30.00
    I know what you mean, he is a real funny guy ain't he??


    "HONDA"

  8. #8
    I pray for you! BUNNYMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the Hutch
    Posts
    29,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I know what you mean, he is a real funny guy ain't he??
    I guess you didnt get the humor in my joke.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

  9. #9
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    I guess you didnt get the humor in my joke.....
    Oh I got it just tried to overlook it.


    "HONDA"

  10. #10
    Banned midevilarcher5575's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    IF your lookin for a cheap target get one at a retail store!
    I buy bag targets at walmart for $24.99 all day long!
    If you want to make a cheap one, go to a feed store buy the biggest burlap sack u can find stuff it full & tight with plastic wrap,(silophine) & tie it up,get a perminent black marker draw a 9 inch circle,spray a blaze orange dot with spray paint in the center of the circle.
    This is what i do for homeade targets!
    wal-mart here only sell's them during hunting season.any way the bag targets you buy at wally world are made by morrell,and only sold to walmart becuase of the poor quility.and that is stright from the horse's mouth

  11. #11
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default >> What?<<

    Quote Originally Posted by midevilarcher5575 View Post
    wal-mart here only sell's them during hunting season.any way the bag targets you buy at wally world are made by morrell,and only sold to walmart becuase of the poor quility.and that is stright from the horse's mouth
    2 years ago i bought this one (delta-deadstop) at wal-mart they stopped carrying them?
    My sister-inlaw is a general district manager for the whole east coast.
    Been there 25years im gonna have to call her!
    I also 2 years ago got a delta backyard buck 3-d small deer target for $59
    I didnt check last year,but usually im on top of those thing's
    Also i can get anything they sell in hunting season from here out of the warehouse done it before,she got me a gun safe in june last year!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  12. #12
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,716

    Default

    i shot tha morrell big bag and have had very good success with it.
    I don't know how many covers I have put on it thu tha years.



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  13. #13
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I buy bag targets made here locally for $30. But if you want to make one then I would suggest get yourself a couple 2X10's, all thread or motorcycle straps and some old strips of carpet or cardboard about 10 inches wide and as long as your 2X10's. Put board on bottom and top of a stack of cardboard or carpet and use the strap or all thread to pull boards together tight.
    We use a product that they put on sidewall new construction and called blackboard and cut em those strips and tighten em down on top of each other. just re tighten as they wear.



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Similar Threads

  1. Need A Target Bow...which One?
    By swintj1 in forum Beginners Archery Range
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 11:50 PM
  2. need a target
    By cowboy50 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
  3. Target bow???
    By brokenarrow in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 08:51 PM
  4. help with new target bow
    By glyn in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 07:23 AM
  5. New Target!
    By Radar in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 07:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •