You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Guardian or Hoyt Pro Elite?

I am new to the sport, really new - like 1 month new. I picked up a browning rage one to get my feet wet and now I'm hooked and wanna upgrade.
    I've narrowed down my choices to 2 bows- the Guardian and the Hoyt Pro Elite. I don't plan on hunting, but want to compete in hunter class. People are telling me that if I only plan on hunting "paper targets" then a target bow is the way to go, and when it comes to target bows I should go with Hoyt. Other people are hyping up the Guardian. I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have probably forgotten more about archery then i'll ever know.
    (posted this originally in different thread by mistake)

I would say get the Hoyt if you are only target shooting. It will be a lot easier draw and longer axle to axle an maybe a little more forgiving. Get 50-60 lb limbs.Checkout the Mathews target bows as well.

Oh yeah
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

I agree with "SIN"ERGY about the Hoyt Pro Elite. There are a lot of guys winning the big tournaments with that bow.

The things to look for in a target bow are:

Smooth drawing - I currently on a 4 month injury time out because of a Guardian. I tried to draw one that was not set up for me and had too much draw weight for me. It probably wouldn't have been a problem if I had quit after trying it just once. It has an unusual draw curve that loads the bow arm shoulder very differently than other bows.

Fit - It's important to have the bow's length exactly right for you. You've probably heard that it is impossible to hold the bow perfectly still while aiming. But if you will experiment with DL and shoulder alignment, you can be perfectly still for the "moment of truth". The key is draw length. This means that DL adjustability is important for your first target bow.

Good Strings & Cables - most pro archers immediately take off the factory strings and replace them with ones that they make themselves. The reason for this is that the factories all seem to build strings to a price point rather than building them the best that they can. The reason is that stability of the strings and cables is very important in maintaining a stable tune on a bow. Pre-stretched strings and cables made of 452X yarn seem to be the best available right now.

Nock Travel - this is one feature that no manufacturer advertises because most bow models available don't have nock straight travel in both the horizontal and vertical planes. The only models that can be set up without high speed cameras are the two cam shoot through systems such as the Martin X systems.

Reflex / Deflex riser - target bows with a deflex riser (such as the Pro Elite) tend to have larger brace heights than bows with the reflex risers. No one can objectively prove it, but brace height and deflex risers tend to be a little more "forgiving" than the opposite risers.

Longer ATA - This is less important than it used to be. Many of the short bows, such as the Guardian and Switchback, act like longer bows of just a few years ago. I'm often amazed at how stable my 31" Justice is after shooting my 43" Scepter. Both are stable, but the Justice "exceeds expectations". It's not quite as easy to hold steady, but the difference is not as much as you might expect. A couple of years ago one of the pro's set a field record in Europe with a Switchback. At the Maryland State Indoor Championships a couple of years ago, a guy with a 24" ATA homebuilt bow did very well. I think that he came in second in the senior division. The only senior to beat him was a pro shooter affiliated with Mathews.

For target shooting the main thing is form, but followed closely by bow fit. Terry Ragsdale, one of the top 2 or 3 target archers of all time, said that he spends more time adjusting the draw length on a new bow than all other tuning combined. That's how important bow fit is.

Good luck and enjoy your new obsession

Allen

definately the pro-elite for target shooting. also look at pse mojo.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

to the forum. As far as the bow goes pick the one you are most comfortable with. Do not let anyone pressure you into anything. The Pro-Elite is the better target bow in my opinion. But you have to get what is best for you. GOOD LUCK and be sure to keep us informed and post some pics please.

"HONDA"

Default Welcome to the forum

I agree with the others, for target shooting I would go with the Hoyt Pro Elite. You may also want to go with the regular Cam 1/2 so that you can make draw length adjustments if you need to.

from me as well. I would have gotten the ProElite but I had to have shorter draw length so I got the UltraElite and it is much different shooting than my hubby's UltraTec. The bow is very stable when you hold and it's got a definite different feel. I'm very happy with mine...just gotta stop tweaking it...but there are gonna be new strings in a month or two I can just feel it.
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

Did you go with the Cam and half for your bow or the C2?
    I wasn't sure which to go with since I'm leaning towards the Hoyt.