You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default bow search question

My 16 year old son is wanting a Darton Tundra with a 40-50lb draw. Besides ebay where would I search for a used bow? He only shoots targets right now and enjoys the competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by mom View Post
    My 16 year old son is wanting a Darton Tundra with a 40-50lb draw. Besides ebay where would I search for a used bow? He only shoots targets right now and enjoys the competitions.
    try the classifieds here and on archerytalk.com.....thats where I would start....
    I cut things up and split them down!

to the forum mom.

I agree classifieds here and on www.archerytalk.com are the best places. Good luck and if you need any help at all be sure to post up and we will try to answer you as quickly and accurately as possible.

"HONDA"

Thank you both. I didn't see those classifieds before, shopping for bows can be overwhelming. He has only tried the Tundra, do you have any other suggestions for a 16 year old? He doesn't use a mechanical release.

Welcome to the forum Mom...

Yes...bow shopping can be overwhelming...Is there an archery shop near you where he can shoot some different bows??...and where he can get measured for draw length...alot of bows aren't easily adjustable for draw length...

the main thing is to find a bow that feels good in his hands...If he's comfortable he'll shoot more and shoot better...

Yes, we have two archery shops near us. He tried a couple of Darton's at one shop and he really liked the Tundra, shot well with it too. I didn't know that about the draw not being easy to adjust, he was told he has a 29" draw. The owner wants to sell one of his old bows to us but the price seems to be near that of a new one although they do come with a nice rest.
    We have known the other shop owner for much longer and will look at some bows there too. Thanks for all your help.

he must be a big kid if he's got a 29" draw. Sounds like my 15 year old. he's 6' and has a 29" draw. if he's just looking for a target bow. Also, look for pse shark. they quit making them last year and can get them at a good price. I just bought my second one this year. Got it new for $400.00. there usually around $750.00. also look for martins. like the cougar, sceptor, or razor. They are good for target bows. price range will determin how far you can broaden your looking too.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Yes, we have two archery shops near us. He tried a couple of Darton's at one shop and he really liked the Tundra, shot well with it too. I didn't know that about the draw not being easy to adjust, he was told he has a 29" draw. The owner wants to sell one of his old bows to us but the price seems to be near that of a new one although they do come with a nice rest.
    We have known the other shop owner for much longer and will look at some bows there too. Thanks for all your help.
    29" is pretty common so finding a used bow shouldn't be a problem...The dartons are adjustable(about 4")...the Tundra is a good bow...so is the Maverick...What's your price range???

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    29" is pretty common so finding a used bow shouldn't be a problem...The dartons are adjustable(about 4")...the Tundra is a good bow...so is the Maverick...What's your price range???
    Here is a tundra on ebay...40-50# is not easy to find...this one is 50-60#
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Darton-Tundra-50...QQcmdZViewItem

We like that bow on ebay but my son really wants to go down to 40lbs. He is shooting targets and thinks he would do best starting at 40. We were hoping to stay near $400. I appreciate all the input and advise.

We like that bow on ebay but my son really wants to go down to 40lbs. He is shooting targets and thinks he would do best starting at 40. We were hoping to stay near $400. I appreciate all the input and advise.
    Another Darton with similar measurments is the Cyclone...

Thank you both. I didn't see those classifieds before, shopping for bows can be overwhelming. He has only tried the Tundra, do you have any other suggestions for a 16 year old? He doesn't use a mechanical release.
    I don't know anything about the Darton. I am 56 years old. So, I would say get him a longer axle to axle bow like a Martin Scepter or Cougar with Elite limbs. These would be the best for a finger shooter. Also with the Nitrous cam they are draw adjustable. There are some other single cams which Martin has with draw adjustment.

The main problem I see you having in finding one used, would be the poundage. Most bows sold in the classifed will be in the 50 to 70 lb range. Martins also offers an advanage here in that they have a 15 lb of range adjustment.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlin View Post
    I don't know anything about the Darton. I am 56 years old. So, I would say get him a longer axle to axle bow like a Martin Scepter or Cougar with Elite limbs. These would be the best for a finger shooter. Also with the Nitrous cam they are draw adjustable. There are some other single cams which Martin has with draw adjustment.

The main problem I see you having in finding one used, would be the poundage. Most bows sold in the classifed will be in the 50 to 70 lb range. Martins also offers an advanage here in that they have a 15 lb of range adjustment.

Good luck
    The Tundra, and Maverick are 38" ata and the Cyclone is 40" with around a 7" brace ht....They should be fine for fingers...Darton also used to make a 44" bow w/8.5" BH, the Vegas ...all 4 were discontinued this year...