You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Greetings and bow tuning

Hello everyone. I am new to the site. Just browsing through some archery sites and came across this forum and liked what I read.

To give you a little background. I have been bowhunting for over 32 years. My first compound was a 6 wheeled Bear Whitetail, shot that bow for several years. Up graded to a Hoyt something and shot it for 18 years. Heck I'm back from the day when fiberglass arrows were the rage. I'm from a small town and didn't realize how far archery technology had come until about 4 yrs ago I stepped into an archery shop looking to buy my son a bow. 2 days later I was the owner of a Mathews Legacy. Unbelievable compared to my old bow. I did take a lot of deer with my old set up though. I still laugh about it. I now shoot the Switchback.

The past 2 yrs I have taken an intrest in working on my own equipment. In the past I wasnt to concerned with tuning. All I needed was to be able to put arrows into a circle the size of a skoal can at 20 yards. But, now I am learning all I can with tuning and set up. I've really learned a lot these past 2 yrs. I have read everything I can on the subject. I've since taken each of my bows completely apart, several times, put them back together and tuned them to learn all I can about what I own. I've become fairly sufficient with the processes and what it takes to get a bow in tune. I THOUGHT.

I was reading one of the threads on this site and it was talking about cam timing on a single cam bow.????? I think it was a Mathews. Is this the same thing as putting the cam in its optimal position? What I do now is make sure the string and cable length are correct, then check the ATA and brace height. They are usually pretty close to specs just by doing this. I also check to see if the two alignment holes on the cam run paralles with the string and it is always pretty close.

Is there more to it than that?

Thanks, and hope I can give someone some useful info from time to time.

Nope, you are doing fine. You are right on using the string to align the timing holes. However, one side note. This must only be done a maximum weight. To set the timing holes properly, you must crank the limb bolts all the way in. Then set the position on the cam correctly. Then put the weight to where you want to shoot the bow and ignore where the timing marks end up. This info came straight from the techs at mathews.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default Set timing holes/marks @ full max limb weight?

is this true of my cam.5?