You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Releases

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Default Releases

What are tha pros and cons of tha bt styles(carter) vs tha wrist style(scott)

Do they all require bt

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    What are tha pros and cons of tha bt styles(carter) vs tha wrist style(scott)

Do they all require bt
    All releases should be shot with back tension. The reason is that increased tension between you hands creates a stabilizing effect which increases your hold.

The major reason for using a hinged back tension release is to eliminated the dreaded punching of the release. Eliminating the trigger is suppose to keep you from anticipating the release. This will allow you to concentrate on aiming until the release all of a sudden fire. This is caused through practice and develops a subconscious "surprise" release.

I have always found that using back tension to be useful. However, I sometimes feel that using a hinged or true back tension release is not. Mainly, because of outside forces. A hinged or true back tension release works great indoors. There is no wind to disturb you and you just have to hold on target until the release fires.

The only real problem I have with the hinged or true back tension releases is in gusty wind conditions. I usually end up trying to force the release to fire because it is impossible to hold constantly on the target and let it "surprise" release. I mainly use thumb releases and once I have settled on the target I pull through fairly quickly. The important thing to do is to keep aiming through the release and to continue the follow through which doesn't really help anything, but only verifies that you did not anticipate the release.

Actually, there are a couple of wrist strap release which would be very good to use. One is produced by Bernie Pellerite and is called the "Can't Punch". It is a modified Scott release and has a special secondary trigger. The secondary trigger is used to keep you from pressing trigger, but allows you to use back tension to fire the release. I removed the secondary trigger several years ago and now use the release as a standard Scotts. It did help me until I over came my punching problem.

The other is the Loesch "True Back Tension" wrist strap release. Now, this is sort of a sweet release, but again, you get back to the problem of dealing with shooting in the wind.
    Last edited by Deezlin; 05-22-2007 at 07:54 AM.

I think that Deezlin hit the nail right on the head. The surprise release is what it is all about. A "pure backtension" release is a great thing if you are shooting on a calm day or indoors where wind is not a problem. A thumb trigger release like the Carter Insatiable that I shoot can also be shot as a back tension release, but offers the ability to trigger the release command style if you encounter windy situations.
    The trick is to hook your thumb around the trigger and to pull through the shot. You will actually feel the release rotate in your hand if you allow your hand to "yield" properly as you are pulling through the shot. If you execute it properly, most people watching you shoot will never notice the release rotate as your sense of feel makes you think that the release is moving more than it is.
    Many shooters try to find a release of each style that allows them to have a consistent anchor point and therefore a consistent point of impact. This way they can shoot the pure backtension when it is calm and use the thumb trigger when it is more windy.

Default I disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlin View Post
    All releases should be shot with back tension. The reason is that increased tension between you hands creates a stabilizing effect which increases your hold.

The major reason for using a hinged back tension release is to eliminated the dreaded punching of the release. Eliminating the trigger is suppose to keep you from anticipating the release. This will allow you to concentrate on aiming until the release all of a sudden fire. This is caused through practice and develops a subconscious "surprise" release.

I have always found that using back tension to be useful. However, I sometimes feel that using a hinged or true back tension release is not. Mainly, because of outside forces. A hinged or true back tension release works great indoors. There is no wind to disturb you and you just have to hold on target until the release fires.

The only real problem I have with the hinged or true back tension releases is in gusty wind conditions. I usually end up trying to force the release to fire because it is impossible to hold constantly on the target and let it "surprise" release. I mainly use thumb releases and once I have settled on the target I pull through fairly quickly. The important thing to do is to keep aiming through the release and to continue the follow through which doesn't really help anything, but only verifies that you did not anticipate the release.

Actually, there are a couple of wrist strap release which would be very good to use. One is produced by Bernie Pellerite and is called the "Can't Punch". It is a modified Scott release and has a special secondary trigger. The secondary trigger is used to keep you from pressing trigger, but allows you to use back tension to fire the release. I removed the secondary trigger several years ago and now use the release as a standard Scotts. It did help me until I over came my punching problem.

The other is the Loesch "True Back Tension" wrist strap release. Now, this is sort of a sweet release, but again, you get back to the problem of dealing with shooting in the wind.
    All releases should not be back tention!
    Example: take a back tention get on your knee's pull it full-draw & try to stand up at full-draw & shoot, without it takeing off first.
    I shot a nice buck in a broom-straw field like this.
    If i were using my back-tention the arrow would have took off before i settled on the deer.
    After i got home i thought about it & tried, i couldnt do it!
    Smokes, back-tention is great on paper indoors,ok on 3-d out-doors, but hunting with your adreline rushing down your back, i dont think so!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I shoot a wrist style,Scott Itybity goose. I use back tension with it. Ya just got ta develop your own system.

Kbo you shore am right on that huntin' release.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    All releases should not be back tention!
    Example: take a back tention get on your knee's pull it full-draw & try to stand up at full-draw & shoot, without it takeing off first.
    I shot a nice buck in a broom-straw field like this.
    If i were using my back-tention the arrow would have took off before i settled on the deer.
    After i got home i thought about it & tried, i couldnt do it!
    Smokes, back-tention is great on paper indoors,ok on 3-d out-doors, but hunting with your adreline rushing down your back, i dont think so!

You might want to re-read his post? He didn't say that all RELEASES should be back tension. He said that all releases should be SHOT WITH back tension.
    He agrees with you over trigger releases and yet you argue?

Personally, I use a Carter Chocolate addiction thumb trigger, which I use with Backtension.

Default Your right!

Quote Originally Posted by Xman View Post
    You might want to re-read his post? He didn't say that all RELEASES should be back tension. He said that all releases should be SHOT WITH back tension.
    He agrees with you over trigger releases and yet you argue?

Personally, I use a Carter Chocolate addiction thumb trigger, which I use with Backtension.
    I did read it right, and i dont argue!
    I stated it wrong.
    I dis-agree that all releases should be back tention or shot with back tention while hunting!
    If you can hunt on the ground stalking,with a release using back-tention You shoot a back-tention or a release using back-tention way better than i
    My apologies!
    Last edited by kbohunt; 05-23-2007 at 08:58 PM.
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

I did read it right, and i dont argue!
    I stated it wrong.
    I dis-agree that all releases should be back tention or shot with back tention while hunting!
    If you can hunt on the ground stalking,with a release using back-tention You shoot a back-tention or a release using back-tention way better than i
    My apologies!
    Ahh, righto then. Fair enough. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, just thought you had misunderstood.

Default Release!

Dont get me wrong!
    I totally agree with his statement,on target archery.
    But, SMOKES,(who started the thread) is an avid bowhunter & target shooter
    I felt like he was asking about release for all issues of archery.
    I shoot a crack-shot with back-tention on 5-spot indoors only
    I personaly cant hunt with it!
    Thanks,ken
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Dont get me wrong!
    I totally agree with his statement,on target archery.
    But, SMOKES,(who started the thread) is an avid bowhunter & target shooter
    I felt like he was asking about release for all issues of archery.
    I shoot a crack-shot with back-tention on 5-spot indoors only
    I personaly cant hunt with it!
    Thanks,ken
    You 2 sure are playin' nicely together tonight

You 2 sure are playin' nicely together tonight
    newbie only has three posts when were they fighting and not getting along???
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    newbie only has three posts when were they fighting and not getting along???
    You big dummy!

I never said they was fightin
    I only commented on how good thay was a doin'

Hey I am tryin' real hard tonight ta be positive
    Now don't go and puts words in my hand that ain't there.

You big dummy!

your a preacher.......why are you TRYING to stay positive......I dont need to tell you how to do your job again.....do I.....

your a preacher.......why are you TRYING to stay positive......I dont need to tell you how to do your job again.....do I.....
    Yep every now and then it shore is good ta have somebody ta help tha ol man along, thanks Bowman.

Default Ha, Now!

You big dummy!

Yall stop fightin!
    Yall actin like the war's gonna break out!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Yall stop fightin!
    Yall actin like the war's gonna break out!
    Ya mean it's over?

Default Not yet!

Ya mean it's over?
    After july>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

and it pains me to say this cuz i hate the Yankees.......but these so called Yankees are gonna drop the south like a bad habit.....in rehab......

Default Yankees

and it pains me to say this cuz i hate the Yankees.......but these so called Yankees are gonna drop the south like a bad habit.....in rehab......
    Like they say!
    Dont count ya chickens before they hatch!
    kbohunt

Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    FBSA-MEMBER

Like they say!
    Dont count ya chickens before they hatch!
    they hatched and let me tell you.....this rooster crows every morning.....