You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gain of FPS taking off string squishys

Would I gain anything much by taking off the string squishys besides noise that is? Since I don't have a very fast bow I was hoping to gain a little more push for my arrows but I don't want to hurt the bow. My arrows are a bit heavy and I need to work on getting lighter ones but just havn't found the right combo yet. I have some easton a/c/c 3-04 with 100gr tips which fly ok outside...but not sure if they would be good too much lighter outside> Inside I really should be shooting lighter weight ones but the programs never agree on what is right or wrong. I have Duravane 3-d vanes 2.3" and also Vanetec 2.3 to use. HELLPPPP!!

I am shooting 26" and even that is a bit long but not going to go any shorter than that for sure. My Carbon express are fairly heavy but fly really flat and the a/c/c I have to change trajectory and they are almost same weight..go figure. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm looking at skinny arrows both for outdoors and I use indoors at our range for practice because the big ones eat up the targets pretty fast. The other info on bow etc is in sig.
    Last edited by chelleo; 05-24-2007 at 12:41 PM.
    FBSA Member and Concierge
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

Quote Originally Posted by chelleo View Post
    Would I gain anything much by taking off the string squishys besides noise that is? Since I don't have a very fast bow I was hoping to gain a little more push for my arrows but I don't want to hurt the bow. My arrows are a bit heavy and I need to work on getting lighter ones but just havn't found the right combo yet. I have some easton a/c/c 3-04 with 100gr tips which fly ok outside...but not sure if they would be good too much lighter outside> Inside I really should be shooting lighter weight ones but the programs never agree on what is right or wrong. I have Duravane 3-d vanes 2.3" and also Vanetec 2.3 to use. HELLPPPP!!

I am shooting 26" and even that is a bit long but not going to go any shorter than that for sure. My Carbon express are fairly heavy but fly really flat and the a/c/c I have to change trajectory and they are almost same weight..go figure. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm looking at skinny arrows both for outdoors and I use indoors at our range for practice because the big ones eat up the targets pretty fast. The other info on bow etc is in sig.

not that I am recommending them, but you could try those Speed Max Pro's from High Country......I think thats what they are called.....again they are available, but I am not recommending them.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

My local HCA dealer says don't buy them, they are junk.
    I took off my "squishy" ball silencers and gained about 8 fps.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.G. View Post
    My local HCA dealer says don't buy them, they are junk.
    I took off my "squishy" ball silencers and gained about 8 fps.
    Seems that if you can get that speed from a 35# I should be able to from a 38#. What kind of arrows you using and what draw length you got there J.A.G.?
    Hoyt UltraElite 25" 40#, Carter Fits Me Too, Shibuya Compound Sight & Black Eagle scope, TT Spring Steel I, Slingbraid Custom Bow Slings, Quick Stand Bowstand, Carbon Express Nano XR

Default squishy's

Take them off, you might gain a little speed!
    I shot bows through crono's with & without spider leg's & puff silincer's
    The spider legs only robbed 2fps & the puff's 4fps.
    If ya want to grab a little take them off!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I bet I'd gain alot because these that are on this year's bows are big fat rubbery thingys. I was really more worried if the bow would be damaged at all by taking them off. Now the next thing is would those sts things that are side mounted work on my bow? Hmmmmm

Default Sts!

I bet I'd gain alot because these that are on this year's bows are big fat rubbery thingys. I was really more worried if the bow would be damaged at all by taking them off. Now the next thing is would those sts things that are side mounted work on my bow? Hmmmmm
    Im sure an sts will fit your bow if ya needed one!
    If not i can costume make you one!
    Those rubber string silincer's i never liked the look's of but ive never tried to see the fps difference with or without them.
    I guess im kinda old school, i shot tournament's with no new gadget's of today & still dont.
    I dont even use a drop-away rest, i can get accurate arrow flight without gadget's!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

you wont notice the difference w/ them off. Except that its more noisey!! you might gain 5 fps. give it a try and tell us if you get a big speed difference?
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel1969 View Post
    you wont notice the difference w/ them off. Except that its more noisey!! you might gain 5 fps. give it a try and tell us if you get a big speed difference?
    For me even 5FPS might be helpful but I think I could get more who knows. No one has a chrono around here not even the pro shop so it's gonna be by sight of how the arrow hits the target I think. I'm gonna have the shop take them off this weekend, I'm presuming you have to press the bow for that or I could chop them off myself muahhaaahhaaaa

Hey Chelle, I'm wondering why you are shooting that peak draw with a 100gr point... Did you check FOC with the point weight you are using ? You may be too high on that weight and reducing arrow spine because of that compounding the problem. You may be able to drop that down to 85gr or less with the draw weight and arrow length you have. I would talk with somebody in your local shop and see if that makes sense to investigate.

Just a thought.

Ron

Senior Member vonottoexperience's Avatar

From what I understand the thing "squishys" on your Hoyt, actually ad speed, just like "speed balls" or brass nocks on the string near the cam. Best bet is to shoot the bow over a chrono with the squishys and with out and check the speed. The squishys have to up near the cam for best results.

Quote Originally Posted by vonottoexperience View Post
    From what I understand the thing "squishys" on your Hoyt, actually ad speed, just like "speed balls" or brass nocks on the string near the cam. Best bet is to shoot the bow over a chrono with the squishys and with out and check the speed. The squishys have to up near the cam for best results.
    You know I vaguely remember seeing that somewhere but not sure...and yes they are up high on the strings close to the cams.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

One thing I feel that these do also is to dampen that string shock from the bow or less shock at tha bow hand. Hope this helps in tha quest ta git tha best out of our equipment. Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Seems that if you can get that speed from a 35# I should be able to from a 38#. What kind of arrows you using and what draw length you got there J.A.G.?
    35# draw, 26.5 draw and 25" GT Ultralight 600's w/50gr. glueins and 3" feathers..put me right at 263fps.. we did experiment with more poundage.. 40# put me at right about 272. Keep in mind this set up is only for 3D.

my other bow is set at 35#, 27" draw, with 26" GT 600's w/80 gr. glueins and it right about 250fps ( i was going to use 50 gr. tips, but it made my bow shoot too fast for ASA) while this is slower than the one above, i think it shoots better because of the arrow weight being alittle heavier.

I think as long as you have good custom strings and your bow is getting its max performance.. then its all about the arrow weight.
    the difference in FPS between 35 and 40 pounds is not very much.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Hey Chelle, I'm wondering why you are shooting that peak draw with a 100gr point... Did you check FOC with the point weight you are using ? You may be too high on that weight and reducing arrow spine because of that compounding the problem. You may be able to drop that down to 85gr or less with the draw weight and arrow length you have. I would talk with somebody in your local shop and see if that makes sense to investigate.

Just a thought.

Ron
    Well, let me tell ya...I probably should have gone a little lighter but one program tells me the arrows are marginally stiff and the other says too weak. These are glue in points too so how do I change them if I wanted to? The FOC is actually really good for target and I did ok indoors last time I shot them. Have been out of commission all this week with the arm so hopefully I can try shooting a bit this weekend.

My next venture is where to find anyone that has a chronograph cause the pro shop doesn't and it would be intresting to even know what is going on with my speed not that it matters that much at this point. If I ever wanted to enter any tourney's I'd have to know though.

Default UPdate on the squishys

Spoke with my "buddys" at Hoyt today and they said I could take off the shocks and to up my "speed" I'd put a couple of nock doo dads bout 1 1/2" below the servings on both ends of the string where it comes from the cams. That will up the speed a bit not sure how much but he said the shocks are really mosly for noise and some vibration but I have lots of vibration stuff on there now so it's worth a try. I'll do that at the shop and if I don't like it I could have them put the squishys back on.

Chelleo, your mastery of archery terminology confounds me........
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    Chelleo, your mastery of archery terminology confounds me........
    You must be reading my mind JC because I was actually gonna mention that LOL. You really don't think I'd succumb to using proper terminology when you know what I'm talking about This is much more fun and I forget the terms on occasion when I'm here at work vegetating.

You must be reading my mind JC because I was actually gonna mention that LOL. You really don't think I'd succumb to using proper terminology when you know what I'm talking about This is much more fun and I forget the terms on occasion when I'm here at work vegetating.
    Don't change a thing. We all know exactly what you are talking about....
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

I've got those doo dads on mine.. i call them speedballs.. three nocks covered in shrink wrap.. they add about 10 fps.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg