You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Rut Dates?

Default Rut Dates?

Noob here with a quick question. Anybody know the expected dates of the rut this year in Illinois. I found a chart that dated it Nov.10th-20th. But couldn't find a date on it to verify it was for the 2005 season. This sounds about right to me, but would like to know for sure, need to plan some vacation time!

Default That sound like a perty good time.

You can't really go wrong with those dates.
    I log all my sightings and deer activity,last year...
    The prerut started around oct.17-18and the rut started on the 3rd and went to the 20th.
    I would say ruffly speaking...most of all the big ones get taken by bow between the 7th and the 12th.
    That's just my opinion.

I like to spend as much time as possible in the woods starting around Halloween.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default I got some info.

I got some charts,one is a game movement chart called primetimes by Doug Hannon,andJeff Murrays deer hunters moon guide.
    I think you can't go wrong with what Chris said.But I look at all this information about the moon,obviously the new moon period seems to be the ticket for most rutting activity.
    The 30-the 4th should be good,If I had any day to hunt this year,it would be the 8th of Nov.,it's on a tuesday.It's a good day to call in sick or take a personal day from what I see.
    It shows times around ... 5:30am/3;30-6:00pm,but It is a all dayer to me.

Default Moon Up time

Glenny,
    Is the moon up in the AM or PM by the charts? I have the whole week off and I hope your right about the moon times lining up

New moon begins the first,the 8th is on the halfmoon.The times say 5:37am/6:05pm.the game movement chart shows roughly the same exact times as well.I would say you can't go wrong that week regardless of what the moon says,it just is good in my opinion.
    If you stay in your stand and play the wind you'll do fine,good luck.

Ok I got it....

I asked this young buck what the rut times were for this year and he said: "how the hell am i suppose to know, mother nature determines that!"

Default I ask the big ones....

I would say the moon phase has atleast half to do with the rut,Weather can influence the activity of deer movement,if it's cold and rain or snow....as well.
    I know I have been staying out of my good spots untl the rut is in.
    I think that this year if I am in the right place at the right time I will be succesful in harvesting a wallhanger.
    If you look at the way the rut does happen every year it is usually after the new moon in November affects deer, you can see that by looking at the statistics.

I agree with gleeny 100%, all the success I've had has been between the 3rd - 18th, give or take. We all go up to Ill. every year in between this time but rest assured we'll be there from the 6th - 13th this year. Lord willin'!!

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. I've been able to get off work from the 9th till the 13th, but I'm getting a little worried. The temperature hasn't dropped like I hoped it would. The forcast is calling for highs near 60 all week. The overnight lows are around 30's-40's which isn't bad but I'm worried that the rut may be a little late. Any thoughts?