You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question fixed or mechanical for deer?

i just got my new bow speed figured out... its 244 fps. what would work better fixed or mechanical.

I've heard that mechanical have a very small window on when they work properly. but fixed are heavier so you have to adjust your sights.

Default Fixed Or mech.

Quote Originally Posted by randallhnsn View Post
    i just got my new bow speed figured out... its 244 fps. what would work better fixed or mechanical.

I've heard that mechanical have a very small window on when they work properly. but fixed are heavier so you have to adjust your sights.
    At this speed you could use either fixed or mech.
    There are a lot of different types of fixed & mech. on the market that work great.
    The only (window) that is on mechanicals is that your bow needs to produce a certain speed for them to open properly, depending on the head.
    The fixed blade is not heavier.
    You simply match the grain wt of the field point to the broadhead,fixed or mecanicals.
    If you shoot a 100grain field point you get a 100gr broadhead fixed or mecanicals.
    The fixed blade has to be tuned properly to fly like the field point,the mecanical doesn't have to be tuned, it allready flys like the field point!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Ok, I see you are on two threads with this.
    At that speed I would absolutely use a fixed broadhead. I know a dozen reasons I won't waste time going into. Most manufacturers of mechs will tell you you are way too slow to insure proper blade deployment. Go with a fixed.
    I would suggest a Montec G5 85 gr. or a Razorcap 100 gr.. Both have a nice long cutting edge to help it slice deep, and the blades are relieved out in such a way to limit the sail area of each blade and reduce planing to a minimum. I consider them tied for #1 choice.
    I would suggest you try a lot of things to get the speed up. It will make a noticable difference with downrange velocity at ranges of 30 yards or more.
    Front of center issues will arise with the change, so you will have to deal with that. The likelyhood of identical impact with Field or broadheads is unlikely. They will fly different. Might be a big or small change.You will need to rezero with the change. Thats a reality you will have to deal with. Most of us have different bows for hunting and 3D or target shooting. Consider that option to for down the road.
    Speed Kills!
    Last edited by Sniper; 06-09-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Me personally bud, ill never go back to fixed blade again. ive shot 6 different types of mechanicals all with pretty good success. I shot spitfires with awesome results out a golden eagle at 64lbs that was only at 240fps. never had a problem in three seasons. There are some awesome mech heads that will shoot fine out of your set up. I'm currently shooting the rage 2blades. Which is a slip-cam design. Meaning the blades slide backwards during deployment unlike most.. By far the best broadhead i've seen. Again this is my personal opinion. Check them out, you wont be disapointed. www.ragebroadheads.com

The Rage Slip Cam and Rocky Mountain Sniper mechanicals are neat, effective, and accurate broadheads. I like both designs. For a neophyte hunter, I would recommend a quality, accurate fixed for a season or two. After experience is obtained I am sure he would experiment with mechs. A new bowhunter/ archer has a lot to learn. Having a effective, trouble free fixed broadhead is one less thing for him to think about when he gets the opportunity to harvest his first few deer. Ever find out the little rubber bands broke? On several in the quiver? When you are in the treestand?
    I took a turkey at 72 yards with a Rocket Wolverine, but I find there are weaknesses in some parts of the rocket designs. Tiny screws, fragile blades, aluminum parts to keep the weight down all make me look carefully at any Broadhead I consider, especially mechanicals. I'll take a good plunger type or slip cam type over a fold back myself in a mechanical, preferably 3 bladed.
    Last edited by Sniper; 06-10-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Default Either

Depending on your shot, distance, angle, etc...it varies.

I have had perfect pass threw shots with SteelForce Fixed, Thunderheads, Muzzy and the like. All with success.

I have also used Rocket expandables with great success. With success often comes failure. It is hard to bat 1000. I have had shots after a long tracking procedure and say to myself.."Man I wish I would have been using an expandable on that one...." and others..."Darn it (edited for post), I wish I would have been using fixed blades!!!"

It seems in my countless experiences that it varies per shot. If you are using expandable heads, you have to make certain kinds of shots. A fixed blade might not get you some of the cutting diameter and great big bleeder holes, but it will surely give you TWO holes if you make a good double lung.

I have harvested hundreds of North American big game animals and each instance, each moment differs slightly from the other. It just comes down to what you want out of it end result and how good you can place your shots....and we all know that in a game-hunt moment...all you know is thrown out the window as the plot unfolds before you.

I have both in my quiver. I use the one I reach down in the dark and put on my bow. I find out which one when it is light enough to see....lol. Kinda kidding on that last part.

Best,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images