You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

Default I am now officially the parent of United States Marine

Well guys I know I havent been on line much lately, but these last few weeks we have had a lot going on here at home. Last weekend my oldest son, who is 19, graduated. And today, only seven days after his graduation, my son left for boot camp with the United States Marines. He enlisted for eight years, and said he plans on making his career with the service.
    Having served nearly ten years in the service myself, I have to say that I sooo proud of him for joining up, but on the other hand, I have to admit I have a lot of apprehensions to him joining up for a career in the service when our country is losing so many men and women every day in a war that I personally dont think we should be fighting.
    So I guess today is a day of mixed emotions, I am happy and sad all at the same time.

Anyway, I know this has nothing to do with bow shooting, but I just felt like talking

So anyway take care,

rdnkgrl_robinhood

I did eight Active Duty in the Corps. Last Five as a Scout Sniper. Mostly was a great time. Hawaii was the best duty station ever. Have him jump on that if possible and go to K-Bay. Absolutely fantastic duty station.
    He'll be fine. They know what they are doing at the MCRD's. Just would have suggested he go to Recruit Training in Sept., not June. Parris Island and San Diego, and Pendelton are HOT in July and August.
    Congragulations!
    Camp Lejeune has 3D shoots on base!
    As for the Career thing, We all think that for a while, but get the opportunity to change our minds every few years, at reenlistment time. Lucky us!
    Last edited by Sniper; 06-11-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Site Guru

hopefully this "war" in Iraq will be over before he is out of camp.
    No I'm not dead

Huntin Junkie

I have one son looking at the Marines and maybe another. I know that I would be proud to be a parent of a Marine.

I don't like the war either, but the only thing free in "freedom" is the first four letters.

I do agree that we should bring our boys and girls home. Let the arabs kill each other if they so wish. When their camels and goats and little white pickup trucks start heading across the pond to our home land, then we shoot.

My oldest son is 16 and has been in the MCJROTC for 2 years. He loves it and is talking about going on and joining. I support him 100%

Best of luck to your son and your family.
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps

Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

I got his first phone call this morning. He is in San Diego with Lima Company and says he doesnt think he will be able to call for a while after today. But he is thrilled with decesion to be a Marine and I will support him a 100%, but I guess this morning I woke up and just had to say 'WOW", I cant believe that my son is a Marine ( where did the time go, and how did I get so old )

Thanks for the words of wisedom guys, I really appreaciate it.

rdnkgrl

Smile

The decisions these young men make are very adult decisions. You may not have realized it, but they are grown. I know the thought process that led to it, from personal experience. They are taking personal responsibility for your safety and quality of life, in a time of Global War. I joined for the Iran Embassy takeovers (X 2) in 79, and fought this same enemy in 83 in Lebanon.
    It is a war we may never "WIN" in the traditional sense, but one that MUST be fought. It is a reflection of the upbringing you provided that they had the moral courage and self esteem to even consider being "A Marine" and all that that involves. We are a tribe like no other. Few are selected. They will serve with other like-minded young men that share a bond NO ONE else will ever understand. They will be in the best company they will ever know. "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" is not just a slogan. I am grateful that this country still produces enough young men like them to keep us safe. Thank You for the Responsible young men you raised.
    Semper Fidelis
    P.S. They are "Recruits" until completing Recruit Training. They they earn the title "Marine".
    Last edited by Sniper; 06-11-2007 at 05:24 PM.