You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: what do you do?

Default what do you do?

I don't know where this is supposed to go, but do you all shoot target, "3d" or other?

I'm from the uk and some of the words you use are confusing. Just wanted to know if anyone actually shot animals. If so, why, what was it, did you eat it etc? general curiosity really.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackflight
    I don't know where this is supposed to go, but do you all shoot target, "3d" or other?

I'm from the uk and some of the words you use are confusing. Just wanted to know if anyone actually shot animals. If so, why, what was it, did you eat it etc? general curiosity really.
    The answer to your first question is Yes. There are people here, on this forum, that shoot 3D, indoor, field, and game animals. I would fair say that many of the members of this forum participate in some type of target competition, as well as bow hunting for game animals.

Your second question should be addressed to each member. There is no way anyone could answer that question for another person. The taking of game animals is a personal issue. Almost everyone has different motivations.

My personal answer to your second question is this:

"Why" you ask. Well, I hunt, and, harvest animals for a multitude of reasons. First would be that I enjoy the quest. Going into the outdoors and harvesting game can be quite a challenge. Learning the habits of animals is relatively easy. Putting yourself in a postion to harvest that animal can be a true task. I just enjoy the hunt. Whether it's for largemouth bass, or a moose, it's the hunt that matters.

And then you ask, "What was it"? Primarily I hunt for waterfowl, squirrels, white tailed deer, wild turkey at the present. I also enjoy varmint shooting. I have hunted bear, deer, hogs, quail and 'coons behind dogs in fair chase. I enjoyed the dog hunting. Deer hunting with dogs was not my idea of hunting deer. I prefer to hunt them in their own range.

"Did you eat it"???? YEP (that means yes), I sure did. I even eat the heart from white tailed deer. It tastes like beef liver in my opinion. And, it's the first thing I eat after harvesting a deer. Game animals sport some pretty tasty meat. I process my own meat, but, some hunters utilize processors to butcher their meat for the table. We have, in the US, a generous amount of people who make a living by processing game. That fact states that most hunters intend to eat the game they harvest.

Now, my questions for you.

What do you shoot?

What words are confusing?
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

Sounds like you have great fun!
    Not too sure about deer heart though..
    I'm currently shooting a recurve on targets, but I guess someday I'll try longbow. Where I live, there's either a tight ban on hunting (so then what's fishing?)
    or there are no animals to hunt.
    I'm picking up the words slowly..

The deer heart is good. I promise.

You say you shoot target with a recurve. Do you shoot paper targets, or 3D animal targets? Tell us about what archery is in the UK, please. It would be interesting to hear what you guys do.

When you say there is tight ban on hunting, do you mean that hunting is illegal?

Yes, Any form of hunting is illeagle. And yet fishing is alright?!
    we have strange laws.
    I shoot paper target, but would like to give 3d a try sometime. (is that what you call plastic animal?)
    The people I shoot with mostly shoot paper, and possibly plastic animal. i'll ask tonight for you all. I havn't met anyone as yet who hunts though. Although it is illeagle, some people still do it.

Has anyone heard of Mr. Tony Lewis ?
    Last edited by Blackflight; 10-04-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Has anyone heard of Mr. Tony Lewis ?
    The Tony Lewis country singer?

lol. No, the Archer. He's a world champion I think several times.I just wanted to see if anyone knew who he was.

lol. No, the Archer. He's a world champion I think several times.I just wanted to see if anyone knew who he was.
    LOL, I could not resist that one. There is a country singer, same name, that does the Europe venues.

Personally, I have never heard of Tony Lewis, the archer.