You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Can you bow press a Guardian?

Does anyone know if there is a bow press you can use to press a Guardian? Or is there a way to do it on any press and not wreck the limbs? It has the nice little feature that allows you to back out the limb bolts and not need a press, but it takes forever if you have to make slight adjustments and go back and forth.
    Last edited by rqthunter; 06-16-2007 at 02:04 PM.
    Bowtech Guardian
    70 lb, 30" draw
    Del. Whisker Biscuit
    Apex Inferno Sight
    Easton Axis 340 carbon arrows,

You gotta use a press for parallel limbs! The press pushes in from the sides, usually using a hydralic jack-like thing. Even then you often need parallel limb adapters (Sold Separately).

I don't think you need to press a Guardian or Commander. I believe all you need to do is back out the limb bolts.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    I don't think you need to press a Guardian or Commander. I believe all you need to do is back out the limb bolts.

Ron
    please try to completly read the post before responding........go back to post 1 again......read it, and read it again......when you think you understand it, read it one more time...then get back to us.......

J/K
    I cut things up and split them down!

Yeah, yeah, yeah...
    Guilty as charged.

Ron

KENFLAHUNTER

I was told "DO NOT PRESS YOUR GUARDIAN!" I said is there a press that you can put the guardian in "I SAID DO NOT PRESS THE GUARDIAN UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY A NEW ONE" this is the conversation I had with the bowtech dealer that I bought mine from. Also when he put my peep in he backed the limb bolts off and he has a parallel limb press in his shop.

Default Yeah

Yeah, I don't think I'll chance it unless Bowtech comes out with a press or method that will work. In the mean time, I bought a bit for my screw gun that speeds up the process. I back it out real slow with the drill and it works great. Better than spinning the allen wrench for 5 minutes.
    Bowtech Guardian
    70 lb, 30" draw
    Del. Whisker Biscuit
    Apex Inferno Sight

Quote Originally Posted by rqthunter View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I'll chance it unless Bowtech comes out with a press or method that will work. In the mean time, I bought a bit for my screw gun that speeds up the process. I back it out real slow with the drill and it works great. Better than spinning the allen wrench for 5 minutes.
    Good Idea about the drill. Solves the problem nicely. No need for a press, or a catastrophe

Quote Originally Posted by KENFLAHUNTER View Post
    I was told "DO NOT PRESS YOUR GUARDIAN!" I said is there a press that you can put the guardian in "I SAID DO NOT PRESS THE GUARDIAN UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY A NEW ONE" this is the conversation I had with the bowtech dealer that I bought mine from. Also when he put my peep in he backed the limb bolts off and he has a parallel limb press in his shop.
    That means that the shop you go to does not have a newer press that accomodates this style of bow. Here are a few companies that make presses I know will press these bows. These are in the order of my preference to use. None of them are bad presses when used correctly.

L.A. Archery
    Sureloc
    Last Chance Archery
    HTM
    Apple with adapters
    L.A. Archery
    Everything else is obsolete

Default Omni Press??

I just emailed the guy who makes the Omni Press that I bought off of ebay. He told me how to press the Guardian with it. He said that he has had a couple of people use the omni to press it. Still not sure If I want to chance it.
    Bowtech Guardian
    70 lb, 30" draw
    Del. Whisker Biscuit
    Apex Inferno Sight

When working on a Guardian, you are supposed to unscrew the limb bolts until you see 1/2 the bolt through the window.

No need for a press. Bowtech says that one full turn = 1lb of draw weight. Of course this is from being fully tightened. (work your way backwards)

First thing.. without extensive knowledge of archery and art of tuning a bow especially tuning it to YOU, I would recommend stopping by your local archery shop and get to know the folks there. Also shoot a few different bows. They will all feel slightly different in performance.

There are alot of things to understand about the bow and the way you think you should shoot the bow. Your local bow shop should be able to educate you to some degree of understanding some basic fundamentals of do's and don'ts.

I wish it would be that simple to buy a bow and be able to shoot it consistently every time. However that is far from the truth.

Of course another option is, you could post a thread here or on www.archerytalk.com and get help that way.

For me, someone showing me produces better results and it helps to build a relationship & trust with someone nearby.

Hope this helps and good luck in your discovery of the art of archery!

P.S. When in doubt, ask for help. You will not regret it.. (Well Maybe) Depends on who you ask.
    Last edited by ciscokid; 06-18-2007 at 02:49 PM.

I wouldnt chance it to be honest. It may take a little longer by backing the bolts out but you wont have to worry about messing something up.

rick

If you are going to work on these bows without a press be sure to keep the bolt threads lubricated. Steel bolts in alluminum risers have allways had a tendancy to gall or freeze up without proper lubrication. Especially when used to this extent.
    L.A. Archery

yes you can just make sure you have the right press to do so like the x press by sure loc

Default Lubricant?

What type of libricant should be used on the limb bolts? I didn't read anything about that in the manual, though it makes sense. I'm sure WD-40 is a no-no, but what would be a good lube to use?
    Bowtech Guardian
    70 lb, 30" draw
    Del. Whisker Biscuit
    Apex Inferno Sight

I like to use Zebco fishing reel grease. It comes in a squeeze tube and is availabe just about anywhere.
    L.A. Archery

Quote Originally Posted by L A Archery View Post
    I like to use Zebco fishing reel grease. It comes in a squeeze tube and is availabe just about anywhere.
    and that stuff is awsome....
    I cut things up and split them down!