You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Single Pin Sight - Pros and Cons?

I am considering trying out a single pin sight-- either a pendulum sight or a one pin that is adjustable after the target is ranged. I understand how each of these works, though I have never tried them, but I am wondering what are the real-world pros and cons of these verses a standard fixed-- mainly for hunting.
    Bowtech Guardian
    70 lb, 30" draw
    Del. Whisker Biscuit
    Apex Inferno Sight
    Easton Axis 340 carbon arrows,

Site Guru

well the most obvious downside is you have 1 pin... (kind of obvious huh?)

Now if you are hunting then this may not be a downside. If its a hunting sight you won't be adjusting it before you shoot an animal so get used to shooting 30 yards w/ a 20 yard pin

I normally use 1 or 2 pins while hunting. 1 at 20 and one at 35. This gives me excellent visability between the pins and 2 good aiming points. I could live without the 35 one and I'd never miss it... in fact I removed it last year 1/2 way through the season and never missed it.

Most deer will be shot at 30 yards or less. a pin set at 20 yads will do well out to 30 if you hold a little high.

but once again - don't expect to adjust your sight in the field, it won't happen
    No I'm not dead

Default my comments

pendulum sites have alot of vibration but if your bow is fast enough you dont need to worry about vibration.

http://www.sternerduttera.com
    Sterner Duttera – Rhino 34
    Muzzy Zero Effect Rest
    DW 69# - DL 29" – Gold Tip 3575 – 302 fps

"Its about family, its about tradition, Its about ethics, its about respect.

It’s about preserving those fondest memories of childhood, of a celebrated season, when everything in your heart and mind was right.
    Pass on these traditions to your children's children, as it belongs to them anyway, and NEVER take for granted the PRIVILEGES that Mother Nature has to offer."

It all depends on your situation. i hunt both out of a ground blind and a treestand and i only use one pin. it was how i started and learned and is just how i like it. also most of the places i hunt one pin is all i need, my shots dont need to be long so the one pin is perfact for me.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

I am trying a stationary single pin.. there is a single pin class in T.H.E. 3D that i have seen some really high scores in. I havent entered yet, but am still playing with it. I have one pin set at 25 yards and have a card with exact inches, high or low, that i shoot at 15, 20, 30, etc..
    I know there are people out there that do this very well.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Default Ha,SMOKES?

Quote Originally Posted by rqthunter View Post
    I am considering trying out a single pin sight-- either a pendulum sight or a one pin that is adjustable after the target is ranged. I understand how each of these works, though I have never tried them, but I am wondering what are the real-world pros and cons of these verses a standard fixed-- mainly for hunting.
    The person you need to ask is holy smokes!
    He uses a pendulem for hunting!
    I use 1 fixed pin at 28yds and hold an inch or 2 high or low on the deer(or whatever animal im shootin at the time)for 10yds nearer or farther this works for me!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I tried a single pin....

Pro: It's only 1 pin...
    Con: It's only 1 pin...

I never hunted with a rifle/shotgun so I don't have a good feel with an iron sight and aiming high/low. I don't have the confidence to do that.
    At the same time having multiple pins is not exactly the nicest sight picture either. I swithed to a Trophy Ridge a couple years ago with the inline pins and it's better but I still love target shooting with a single pin.

Ron

i shot a 3d round today with a single pin and did better with it than i did with my 5 pin sight.. go figure!
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

One way to have the best of both worlds is to get a HAA Optimizer mount, and put a HHA Triple Threat head on it. You can mark the slide for the center pin, and set the 3 pins. You put the center pin on the predetemined mark, say 30 yards, and set the other two at, say 20 and 40. If the situation allows the use of a rangefinder on a longer shot, slide the center pin to that marked distance and shoot it like a single pin.

I've shot single pins on my bows for a number of years now. I find it alot less confusing when hunting to just instinctively guess the yardage and aim accordingly. Most of my past bows worked well if I sighted in dead on at 18yds. This may make be about 1.5 high at say 8-10 yd shot and about the same low at 25. I do however limit my range to 25. Hope this helps and good luck.

I have gone the way of a single fiber optic scope that has 3 ft of fiber optic in it and a slide type sighting. I have the sight sighted in for 15, 25, 35, 45 yards. I leave the sight pin on the 25 yard mark, so far in the past 4 years I never have had to move the pin... it seems in the east, the heavy woods you do not get those long shots as in the west open lands. I also after bow hunting for over 40 years can say most of the deer I take with the bow has always been under 30 yards and most were in the 15 to 20 yard ranges, seems I sure can not see a deer and or see how to get a arrow thru the brush and trees past the 30 yard mark....so the single pin has more pro's than con's for me as a hunter, and a older one at that now 66 years young and still shooting most days 30 to 50 arrows a day keep the doctor a way....

Bill

single pin HHA slider set at 25 yds is what is on my hunting set up......
    I cut things up and split them down!

i have been using a slider for several years now and I will never go back to fixed. They are so much simpler in my opinion.

For example, with a fixed pin sight what would you do if you want to shoot something that was 37 yds.? You would either hold high with your 30 or low with your 40 or try to split the two right?

Now what would you do with a slider? Simply set it to 37 yds.

You only have one pin to concentrate on and much less to think about.

When I am hunting I can generally only shoot 20-25 yds anyway so I set it on 20 yds. unless I need otherwise. It only takes a split second to change it.

I have tried a bunch of them and the vital bow gear proslides are the best ones in my opinion.

rick
    No catchy signature here.....

With your guardian, or with any compound, but especially the guard, you should have no problem shooting beyond 25 yards hunting with full confidence. That thing is fast and flat, as long as your not shooting an arrow that needs a diet.
    Bowtech Guardian
    70 lb, 30" draw
    Del. Whisker Biscuit
    Apex Inferno Sight
    Easton Axis 340 carbon arrows,

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    single pin HHA slider set at 25 yds is what is on my hunting set up......
    Same here! HHA XL5519, best sight I have ever owned!
    Hoyt Vectrix
    Gold Tip XT Hunter 55/75's
    HHA XL5519
    Montec Broadheads

I put a Quick Clik Ranger sight on my Allegiance and so far I like it. It seems like it would be ideal for hunting out west with a range finder. We shall see
    Last edited by MeanV2; 01-03-2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

I always thought those seemed like a good idea. The camo looks great dan.

rick
    No catchy signature here.....