You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shaft selection and FOB question

I shoot a Mathews Q2 bow with a Trophy Ridge dropzone rest I am not sure what # age it is but I think it is between 60 and 70. I have been looking into building my own arrows and am getting a little confused about shafts, ICS verses the ones that use X nocks. I don't really understand the difference or the benefits of either.

The other question is about this thing I found called the FOB. Has anyone tried these with G5 Montec broadheads? They look to good to be true.

Thanks for the help.
    Matt

You need to know the peak draw weight and the draw length you need, minimally. You also need to understand what you will be using the bow for, hunting, target or both. The best thing to do is head to an archery pro shop with your bow and release and have them set it up for you. Once that's done, you'll know the draw weight and draw length and then you can choose an arrow with the proper spine and diameter for your setup and purpose along with an appropriate field point/broadhead.

An 'X' nock is a nock that fits the Beman and Easton Axis HIT (small diameter) arrows. They are designed primarily for hunting. The arrows that use ICS inserts are a bit larger diameter and do not use X nocks. You can get a ton of information from Easton's WEB site. www.eastonarchery.com That site also has a link to Beman's WEB site.

I don't have any experience with G5 broadheads so I can't help you there... I have seen them though and they look well made and tough.

Good luck.

Ron

thank you I will do that when I can. I may ask more stupid questions in the mean time as I am trying to learn. My bow and I are separated at the moment courtesy of the US Army. I will take your suggestions when I get home this fall from this sand box.
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by Major257 View Post
    thank you I will do that when I can. I may ask more stupid questions in the mean time as I am trying to learn. My bow and I are separated at the moment courtesy of the US Army. I will take your suggestions when I get home this fall from this sand box.
    matt
    Well, thank you for serving our country and hang in there over there.

No question is stupid, it's the people who don't ask them who are stupid.

The only thing is that when you ask them you may not always get the right answer...

As such, the term ICS is not an insert as I metioned. I thought about that earlier and what that means is "internal component system"... Everything plugs into the shaft as opposed to the shaft plugging into the component. Make sense ?

The Beman and Easton HIT system use inserts that go all the way completely into the shaft. In fact when they are installed it looks like there are no inserts installed at all. You have to look down the front of the shaft to see them. 'Normal' internal inserts have a flange that goes over the front edge of the arrow shaft.

Hope that helps.

God speed and hope you get home safe.

Ron

Thanks Ron, that clears it up for me alot. My bow is already sighted in for 6075 Carbon Express arrows and 100 gr field pionts or montecs. I should be able to hunt with it when I get home just the way it is but I need to learn alot more before I am comfortable in conversation. Funny I have hunted for over 20 years and am just getting into this sport. I tried it 10 years or so ago and wasn't very successful. I think the carbon arrow thing helped me gain confidence knowning that they were straight or broke. Now I want to start making my own.

The G5 montec is a great broadhead. Tough, sharp, well balanced, minimal planeing because of being relieved out, but enough metal left on the blade to not break if you hit a bone. Long enough edge and well sloped to "cut" through bone instead of jamming. They make a practice broadhead that lets you zero without wasting expensive sharp ones. For a fixed it is a excellent choice. Groups tight at longer ranges (50 yards +) as well as close in.
    We appreciate your sacrifice. being separated from your bow and all. Rambo took his with him, when he went back to bring our boys home. Guess he just could'nt be parted from it.
    Were you at least able to bring a Sand Wedge and a couple Titleists?
    Good Luck, and Get Some!
    Last edited by Sniper; 06-25-2007 at 02:47 AM.

No I don't play golf but some of the guys did bring a couple of clubs over. I brought my fly tying equipment and spend alot of my off time tying trout flies. I could of had my bow shipped but I am supposed to be home for hunting season and don't trust the Army with shipping my bow on time. 3 more months or so and I'll be home. Thanks for the help and the tips.
    Matt

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
    Well, thank you for serving our country and hang in there over there.
    God speed and hope you get home safe.

Ron
    +1

Major257,

Thanks for serving our counrty!

-Judson
    (aka two_shoes)
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

even tho its already been said.....thanks man. tell everyone there with you the same.
    some were born perfect........the rest of us have to practice perfect.

06 alliegance,G5 sight, trophy taker rest
    2007 elite envy G5 sight, rip cord rest

I have been using the FOB with Monotec's they work good together. I really like the FOB for hunting. Some people don't like the facal contact and a few people are have rest clearance problems. I would contact Paul at starrflight.com with your FOB questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Major257 View Post
    No I don't play golf but some of the guys did bring a couple of clubs over. I brought my fly tying equipment and spend alot of my off time tying trout flies. I could of had my bow shipped but I am supposed to be home for hunting season and don't trust the Army with shipping my bow on time. 3 more months or so and I'll be home. Thanks for the help and the tips.
    Matt
    So what kind of flies hatch ot of the Tigris and Euphrates?

Found out about the FOB's from the manager of a big area archery store. Junk. Gimmick. Noisy. Hell to get clearance past the riser.
    Verdict: Stick with Blazers and Mini-Blazers

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Found out about the FOB's from the manager of a big area archery store. Junk. Gimmick. Noisy. Hell to get clearance past the riser.
    Verdict: Stick with Blazers and Mini-Blazers
    Not any more junk than that whisker biscuit your using... I don't think you can rule them out as junk until you actually tried them. but I guess you can't since you have the WB on your bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    Not any more junk than that whisker biscuit your using... I don't think you can rule them out as junk until you actually tried them. but I guess you can't since you have the WB on your bow.
    now that would be something to see....a FOB through a WB.....make sure you take video and when you recover post it up......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    If Moose says it is so. I believe him. And they only work with fall away rests.
    I'll meet you at the Long Distance range at the club, Saturday 9 AM for a duel. 100 yards. I'll bring the biscuit.
    Last edited by Sniper; 06-28-2007 at 09:00 PM.

If Moose says it is so. I believe him. And they only work with fall away rests.
    I'll meet you at the Long Distance range at the club, Saturday 9 AM for a duel. 100 yards. I'll bring the biscuit.
    I will be there....but I must warn you I am deadly at 250 yrds......

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    I will be there....but I must warn you I am deadly at 250 yrds......
    The 3D Shoot is Sunday. The duel, if accepted by wiseguy, is Saturday. Duels are usually private affairs, however. we would consider selling tickets. Winner take all. My understanding is FOBs suck. The biscuit is the biggest selling rest in our area, according to guys who know. It is a great hunting rest, and I practice with it because I shoot the same bows, rigs, arrows, and stabs for hunting and 3D. I don't need to prove myself against people who shoot pretty "target" bows with 70% or 80% letoff and 50 lb draws, using 6X lens to be able to see what they are doing. 65%, 70 lbs, and no lens for me. If I need that stuff, I'll need someone to change my Depends. and keep me from wandering into traffic.
    As I said, I don't need to prove myself, but this time I will, with Jay Are.

The 3D Shoot is Sunday. The duel, if accepted by wiseguy, is Saturday. Duels are usually private affairs, however. we would consider selling tickets. Winner take all. My understanding is FOBs suck. The biscuit is the biggest selling rest in our area, according to guys who know. It is a great hunting rest, and I practice with it because I shoot the same bows, rigs, arrows, and stabs for hunting and 3D. I don't need to prove myself against people who shoot pretty "target" bows with 70% or 80% letoff and 50 lb draws, using 6X lens to be able to see what they are doing. 65%, 70 lbs, and no lens for me. If I need that stuff, I'll need someone to change my Depends. and keep me from wandering into traffic.
    As I said, I don't need to prove myself, but this time I will, with Jay Are.
    lets make a little side wager for Sunday then......

My setup is as follows....

Prestige 61lbs
    movable sight NO LENSE
    65%let off
    Drop away
    its all black....

so really the only thing you might have to cry about is I may bring my Linejammers.....

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    lets make a little side wager for Sunday then......

My setup is as follows....

Prestige 61lbs
    movable sight NO LENSE
    65%let off
    Drop away
    its all black....

so really the only thing you might have to cry about is I may bring my Linejammers.....
    Could be done. 61lbs? Impressive poundage there! A "Target Bow". Wow! It will have to wait until after the shoot. The area behind the LD target would be in use, and last month some Bozos went under several caution taps and walked out right at the damn thing while we we using the area for a novelty. Don't want to shoot Bozos.

Could be done. 61lbs? Impressive poundage there! A "Target Bow". Wow! It will have to wait until after the shoot. The area behind the LD target would be in use, and last month some Bozos went under several caution taps and walked out right at the damn thing while we we using the area for a novelty. Don't want to shoot Bozos.
    yeah but at 61 lbs its doing 299...I dont think you want me to shoot any more pounds....

Oh and by the way I shoot 61lbs because:

A. there is no need to shoot more than that in ANY hunting situation I am going to be in at this point in my life.....

B. I have relized you dont need to shoot 70lbs......to "kill foam, or paper"

C. I had an accident a few years back and crushed every disk in my back.....
    I like to be able to move after a long day of shooting....